We Stray From The Light (eletronic)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mimidancer

01 Sep 2023

Here is a dumb sketch I will likely never finish. Click at your own risk as you will not get the following three minutes back.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

A really good track, the harmonic progression is gothic but not too much and well defined in terms of sound design by the synths. The gnarly and naughty bass makes the progression powerful and punctuated, and the change at 1:21 with those harmonic leaps is bright (as bright as lightning can be on a stormy night) and shifts the soundscape vertically in a very interesting way. The 2:42 coda punctuated by synth and bass solos is extremely beautiful, leaving me only a little dissatisfied with the ending. I would have liked something epic, even just a concluding chord or something to give a sense of completion, because it remains a bit too suspenseful this way (although I do appreciate the barely perceptible ringing after the synth fades out), but maybe that's exactly what you wanted. On a production level we are at a very high level, kudos.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

I think you're being too hard on yourself here. I like the track. Both the chord choices and sound selection keep things interesting. I'm getting a bit of a Depeche Mode vibe.
If you wanted to you could add a melody on top of the existing music. But it works as it is now too.
I would probably add some more bass to the kick for more umph, but that's details really.

mimidancer

01 Sep 2023

Quarmat wrote:
01 Sep 2023
A really good track, the harmonic progression is gothic but not too much and well defined in terms of sound design by the synths. The gnarly and naughty bass makes the progression powerful and punctuated, and the change at 1:21 with those harmonic leaps is bright (as bright as lightning can be on a stormy night) and shifts the soundscape vertically in a very interesting way. The 2:42 coda punctuated by synth and bass solos is extremely beautiful, leaving me only a little dissatisfied with the ending. I would have liked something epic, even just a concluding chord or something to give a sense of completion, because it remains a bit too suspenseful this way (although I do appreciate the barely perceptible ringing after the synth fades out), but maybe that's exactly what you wanted. On a production level we are at a very high level, kudos.
This is my favorite feedback ever. I will think about the ending as this is a first draft. I chose not to resolve the progression at the end out of laziness. I spent 14 hours at the hospital. After such a long day, I felt completely braindead. Once home after everyone went to sleep, I escaped into my headphones. Playing and recording allows me to feel like myself. Thank you so much for listening. Being heard is the best therapy.

mimidancer

01 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
I think you're being too hard on yourself here. I like the track. Both the chord choices and sound selection keep things interesting. I'm getting a bit of a Depeche Mode vibe.
If you wanted to you could add a melody on top of the existing music. But it works as it is now too.
I would probably add some more bass to the kick for more umph, but that's details really.
I wanted it to sound like Alessandro Cortini sitting in with Depeche Mode. Making the sounds is half the fun. Thanks for listening.

PhillipOrdonez

01 Sep 2023

A vocal to glue it all together. If you don't sing or write lyrics, there's a few here in this forum who would be able to fulfill those roles and collab with you.

robussc

01 Sep 2023

mimidancer wrote:
01 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
I wanted it to sound like Alessandro Cortini sitting in with Depeche Mode. Making the sounds is half the fun. Thanks for listening.
Well I'd say you nailed it, and this was definitely worth our time! Agree about the ending needing some climatic finish and some distorted vocal based around straying from the light would be the cherry on top.

Great production for a sketch!
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

popnapp

02 Sep 2023

I like this track. Especially the chord change (e.g: at 1:21), brilliant!
Cool sounds and smooth production!
My personal taste would be to have more melodies and musical extravaganza. But as it is, this track is well done EDM!

mimidancer

02 Sep 2023

popnapp wrote:
02 Sep 2023
I like this track. Especially the chord change (e.g: at 1:21), brilliant!
Cool sounds and smooth production!
My personal taste would be to have more melodies and musical extravaganza. But as it is, this track is well done EDM!
I was in Am so C is the parrell major. A super easy transition. But I decided to take it to Cm instead for flavor. I start it on the 6 chord giving that section just a VI-i-v on the second pass I sub the Gm for Em so you get the C of the Cm chord sliding down 1/2 step and the Eb moving up 1/2 step leaving the G in place for stability. I like that move because it sounds like drama. Of course, the em is the v chord of the home Key so it is easy to ride it home. I know I am a dork but love this stuff. Thank you so much for listening. My week was terrible, writing and playing is so therapeutic for me. But being heard is the super sweet icing on the therapy cake. Be well.

mimidancer

02 Sep 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
01 Sep 2023
A vocal to glue it all together. If you don't sing or write lyrics, there's a few here in this forum who would be able to fulfill those roles and collab with you.
I will try. I singing is very okay.

mimidancer

02 Sep 2023

robussc wrote:
01 Sep 2023
mimidancer wrote:
01 Sep 2023

Well I'd say you nailed it, and this was definitely worth our time! Agree about the ending needing some climatic finish and some distorted vocal based around straying from the light would be the cherry on top.

Great production for a sketch!
Thanks, I love my synths. I only messed with this for about an hour. Had family stuff today. But plan to do some more recording tomorrow. Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment. Be well.

FHtH

03 Sep 2023

Excellent!

Popey
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2023

Sounds really good to me, I find it quite Sci fi as if it is a journey with the cool chord changes.

No time wasted here 😊

mimidancer

08 Sep 2023

Popey wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Sounds really good to me, I find it quite Sci fi as if it is a journey with the cool chord changes.

No time wasted here 😊
Thanks.

mimidancer

08 Sep 2023

FHtH wrote:
03 Sep 2023
Excellent!
This made me think of Bill and Ted, so I will say. Party on, Dude! Also thanks.

• Information