(Britpop + Indie) Port Streets - Dream Girl, Decide

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
mbfrancis

23 Apr 2022

Hey everyone--

Hope all have been well -- I've been off the board for the last couple of years, I've been really busy with work / life (all good), but this is still one of my favorite / safest places on the internet.

I just wanted to pop in to let you know my project Port Streets released a new single yesterday -- first new music in 2 years https://songwhip.com/port-streets/dream-girl-decide

It's kind of a Queen Blur / Weezer / Lou Reed mashup called "Dream Girl, Decide." Honestly I'd love your thoughts on how you'd describe it / who it sounds like.

The main tracking was all done in Reason, although I sent out for drums, B3 and had a couple of friends send electric parts. I had a pro mix.

Moving forward I am releasing new music every 4 weeks (minimum) from here, so I probably still won't be too active, focusing on production -- follow @portstreets on FB or IG to stay up to date.

Of course I'm not really expecting any feedback since I haven't given any, but I know a few of you have been fans previously so I thought I'd let you all know.

Thanks again for being awesome everyone!

Martin

EDIT: Renamed the title to be more descriptive based on feedback.
Last edited by mbfrancis on 02 May 2022, edited 3 times in total.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2022

Well, there's not much I can say: it's an excellent piece of music. Solid 90ies brit pop roots, almost Yes-y harmonic progressions at 2:00. Powerful guits, clear drums, great inserts from piano, synths, keys. Beautiful voice too! Beatles-esque coda fading into Maigical Mystery Tour-ness.

Excellent. Bravo!

crimsonwarlock

24 Apr 2022

Simply beautiful. Quarmat worded it perfectly, nothing to add to that.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

mbfrancis

24 Apr 2022

Wow thanks you guys.

Quarmat you're right -- 'solid Britpop roots'. I think maybe it's 'what if peak Blur and peak Weezer had a baby [who was classically trained but raised on 2000s indie and electro]'

It's actually a real challenge marketing it -- what playlist would it sit on? Something modern or just own it and add to 90s lists...thanks again.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Fotu

25 Apr 2022

That's a great tune, and nice production! I'm curious about your process to 'send out for drums' (which really add to the integrated feel of the song). Did you already know someone vs some job shop, did they play live and convert to samples, etc. etc.?

mimidancer

25 Apr 2022

mbfrancis wrote:
23 Apr 2022
Hey everyone--

Hope all have been well -- I've been off the board for the last couple of years, I've been really busy with work / life (all good), but this is still one of my favorite / safest places on the internet.

I just wanted to pop in to let you know my project Port Streets released a new single yesterday -- first new music in 2 years https://songwhip.com/port-streets/dream-girl-decide

It's kind of a Queen / Weezer / Lou Reed mashup called "Dream Girl, Decide." Honestly I'd love your thoughts on how you;d describe it / who it sounds like.

The main tracking was all done in Reason, although I sent out for drums, B3 and had a couple of friends send electric parts. I had a pro mix.

Moving forward I am releasing new music every 4 weeks (minimum) from here, so I probably still won't be too active, focusing on production -- follow @portstreets on FB or IG to stay up to date.

Of course I'm not really expecting any feedback since I haven't given any, but I know a few of you have been fans previously so I thought I'd let you all know.

Thanks again for being awesome everyone!

Martin
Very nice. I'd say it sounds like it could be a Jellyfish tune. 60s pop with a ton of fab four influence. Would love to hear some live tracks.

mbfrancis

25 Apr 2022

Fotu wrote:
25 Apr 2022
That's a great tune, and nice production! I'm curious about your process to 'send out for drums' (which really add to the integrated feel of the song). Did you already know someone vs some job shop, did they play live and convert to samples, etc. etc.?
Thanks man--
Usually I finish most of the tracking using programmed drums, usually Reason Drum kits. Then I send the track (without drums, my programmed drums solo'd, and a MIDI tempo map for tempo and time sig changes) to a pro I use -- we go back and forth a couple of times and then he sends me final multi-tracks, which I usually then have to edit and comp. This is actually a huge problem because Reason is terrible at dealing w/ multitrack drums -- you can't group tracks in the sequencer view to batch edit, and most of all there's no multi-track comping. Is that what you meant?
mimidancer wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Very nice. I'd say it sounds like it could be a Jellyfish tune. 60s pop with a ton of fab four influence. Would love to hear some live tracks.
Thanks! -- no real live *shows* but there are some mellow @home performances from our first EP on YouTube/IG: Out of Ways to Lie, Palisades

Fotu

26 Apr 2022

mbfrancis wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Fotu wrote:
25 Apr 2022
Thanks man--
Usually I finish most of the tracking using programmed drums, usually Reason Drum kits. Then I send the track (without drums, my programmed drums solo'd, and a MIDI tempo map for tempo and time sig changes) to a pro I use -- we go back and forth a couple of times and then he sends me final multi-tracks, which I usually then have to edit and comp. This is actually a huge problem because Reason is terrible at dealing w/ multitrack drums -- you can't group tracks in the sequencer view to batch edit, and most of all there's no multi-track comping. Is that what you meant?
Thanks for the info! Mostly just wondering how you worked with them, so yes this is helpful. Drums are my biggest challenge for my DIY compositions, so I may consider going outside in the future as well.

BTW I also thought 'Jellyfish' (and XTC a bit) on hearing this tune. Good stuff.

motuscott

26 Apr 2022

Don't go changin'
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

26 Apr 2022

Yes multi track drum editing is a real problem here in the Reason.
Thankfully we've other DAWs for that
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mbfrancis

27 Apr 2022

Fotu wrote:
26 Apr 2022
Thanks for the info! Mostly just wondering how you worked with them, so yes this is helpful. Drums are my biggest challenge for my DIY compositions, so I may consider going outside in the future as well.

BTW I also thought 'Jellyfish' (and XTC a bit) on hearing this tune. Good stuff.
Yeah I usually have a good idea of the drum track I want. I send him a rough mix, a mix of music w/out drums, and then drums alone so he can hear exactly what I was thinking. Then usually I have him do 3 takes: one which follows my part pretty closely, one where he stretches out and adds his own stuff (what would he do if this were a gig), and then one where he goes crazy with fills and creative stuff. I usually end up using take 2 as basis, keeping a ton of take 3, and having take 1 for looping basic parts. But again, Reason is not ideal for this method ...

Uman's

29 Apr 2022

Would an audio player be possible in the topic please? I couldn't listen.
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

mbfrancis

02 May 2022

Uman's wrote:
29 Apr 2022
Would an audio player be possible in the topic please? I couldn't listen.
Sure man added Youtube link, let me know what you think

Uman's

02 May 2022

Thanks for the audio player !

The music reminds me a lot "Fool's Garden".
As much by style as by voice

The song is perfect in the genre. Good guitar, good drums, a good singer and a well-constructed melody.
NICE !!
It's very good and I'm glad to have listened to you.

Thanks for sharing (and the player).
- Former member of the disappeared forum "Reason France" -

npinero1

02 May 2022

Wow, well written and recorded song! Real drums? you did this in Reason?! Nice!!!!
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

chuck237

03 May 2022

Getting Bowie vibes on this one. Also might be because they just dropped a new album, but sort of reminds me of a more aggressive Spiritualized. Love the dry electric guitar leads panned left. I'm hearing all kinds of sonic intricacies throughout as well. Tasty progressive rock feel during the guitar solo. It's prog without being too proggy. Love the Day in the Life type crescendo at the end. Fantastic song and excellent production. New fan here. I'll for sure check out your other stuff.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 May 2022

Yep. Good. Really.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mbfrancis

03 May 2022

Thanks all, really appreciated! Bowie vibes, Spiritualized -- I'll take it!
npinero1 wrote:
02 May 2022
Wow, well written and recorded song! Real drums? you did this in Reason?! Nice!!!!
Well the bass, vocals, acoustics and the one lead guitar on the main solo were recorded in Reason at my house. The bass was run through Softube saturation, stock compressor and the Cerebrus (on vintage pbass preset), the electric is just using one of the Kuassa amps, Creme I think. Oh and that weird synth I added last minute is Europa. Then people sent me parts and I spent ages editing in Reason before exporting to WAV and sending out to mix. Other than the multi-track drum thing, still love Reason a ton.

• Information