"Splendiferissimo" - Classical/Orchestral piece

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Nick Hope

21 Sep 2021

A new classical/orchestral piece from me.

The strings are e-instruments stringWERK. The woodwind is from Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover. And somehow the "Trumpet Solo Echo" Combinator patch (starts around 02:55) seems to find its way into most of my stuff.

First time I've used Ozone for mastering. The "Master Assistant" was begging me to boost the low bass and high treble more than this but it just sounded too much to me, so I dialed them back.

The footage is from Pexels, Pixabay and Videvo. It's amazing what you can use for free from there these days.

Any feedback welcome.

moofi

21 Sep 2021

The mentioned trumpet sounds a little bit cut off when a new note is playing. I would suggest to blend them a little like maybe two seperate devices alternating. Possibly it´s already enough to raise the release a little. Not familiar with that combinator, though it should be quite easily doable I at least assume.

strangers
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Very nice job with this piece of music. I do agree with moofi in that the trumpet does sound a little robotic due to the fast cut off. Other than that, everything sounds great. StringWERK is a great RE. I recently bought it when it was last on sale. Wish I got it sooner.

Nick Hope

24 Sep 2021

Thanks very much for the comments. Interesting about the trumpet. That's useful feedback. Taking another look/listen, I think a large part of the problem is that I have small gaps between many of the notes where perhaps I should have done an overlap or at least closed the gap to get more of a legato sound. I'll also play with the release.

I tried loads of different strings. I was intending to use Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover for the strings but they were just too big and reverby. StringWERK had more of a chamber orchestra feel. The only thing that frustrates me a little about it is that you can't switch between the Sustain, Short and Expressive patches in the same instance. Perhaps you can and I didn't delve deep enough with it yet. So I ended up with 9 tracks of StringWERK where I would have preferred 4.

moofi

25 Sep 2021

What a name :D
Nick Hope wrote:
24 Sep 2021
[...] Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover [...]

• Information