Attempting a Song-a-Day project (downtempo acid)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Melody303

13 Apr 2019

Thanks DrGOA. :)

Here's the next one:
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

DrGOA®

13 Apr 2019

Good one!

Melody303

16 Apr 2019

I thought I posted this yesterday. Odd.

And thanks again DrGOA. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.

DrGOA®

16 Apr 2019

It's so easy for you to create great tracks!

Melody303

19 Apr 2019

I wouldn't say easy, but thank you. :)

The next one is here: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/campaign

DrGOA®

20 Apr 2019

Good one!
Melody303 wrote: I wouldn't say easy
For me it's tough, because I'm disabled.

Melody303

20 Apr 2019

Now only need to write 2 more in the next 4 days. :)

DrGOA®

20 Apr 2019

I like it!

Melody303

20 Apr 2019

Thanks again. :)

Just finished the one before last for this month:

DrGOA®

21 Apr 2019

Again good job!

Melody303

24 Apr 2019

Here's the last one for the month: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/chibi-ouroboros

See you in two weeks for the next 10 songs for May. :)

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2019

Melody303 wrote:
24 Apr 2019

Here's the last one for the month: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/chibi-ouroboros

See you in two weeks for the next 10 songs for May. :)
That's probably my personal finale of this month, very shpongleesque and relaxing, almost poppy. Cool. Have you ever considered releasing tutorial videos on youtube on how to scape all those different acid lines and sounds? It would be a staple in the music knowledge base!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

DrGOA®

24 Apr 2019

Good one! ;)

Melody303

21 May 2019

Thanks a lot diminished & DrGOA. :)
I have considered making tutorials, but I don't think my computer can handle screen recording while I'm working on music.

I really have to get back to writing properly, 10 days left in the month, and 9 songs left to write after this one, which is kind of an intro:
https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/secret-prayer

DrGOA®

22 May 2019

Good again!👏

Melody303

23 May 2019

Thanks DrGoa, and here's a new one. :)

DrGOA®

23 May 2019

Good job!😊

Melody303

24 May 2019

DrGOA®

24 May 2019

As always - good track!😺

Melody303

25 May 2019

Thanks again DrGOA. :)

Here's today's track: https://melodyklein.bandcamp.com/track/ ... t-campanes

MannequinRaces

25 May 2019

Your musical creative output is blowing my mind. My apologies if this question has been asked before but how long would you say each track takes to make on average?

DrGOA®

26 May 2019

Again good job!👻

Melody303

26 May 2019

Thanks DrGOA & MannequinRaces. :)
The average time it takes me to write each of these pieces is somewhere around 5 hours. They have ranged from a little under 2 hours at my fastest to a little over 16 hours at the most arduous, but the majority take between 4-7 hours.

And here's today's song:

(This one was around 7 hours of work, for example.)

MannequinRaces

26 May 2019

Very cool! Do you start with a blank canvas or use templates since you're working in the same genre for these? How much time do you normally spend on mastering each track or does that stay relatively the same for each song? And do you export to a stereo file first before mastering or not? Sorry for all the questions but the answers might help me come up with a better workflow for myself. Thank you! The sax in your latest song is a nice touch!

Melody303

26 May 2019

I think most of the people who make electronic music tend to fall into the trap of making a great many 8 bar loops (I don't mean drum loops, I mean when you first start creating a new song, and you add more and more sounds and melodies and so on, but no work on the arrangement of it as a song over time), and I fell into that trap too. I have several hundreds of those. All of them great songs (in my opinion) that just need to be arranged, but it's much more fun to create those than to actually arrange them.
Sometime last year I decided my solution to that would be that I can create as many of those as I want, but I *have* to finish a particular number of songs every month (12 in January, 14 in February, 10 in every month since until July), and in general I have to use the oldest project file that inspires me.
There have been a few exceptions here and there where I created a new song from scratch (this actually comes easier to me than the way I'm doing it), but the majority of these have had some older project in their core, around which I added more things before I started arranging them, as well as while I was doing the arrangement itself.
I don't work from templates. I either start from a blank canvas, or from a piece I wrote previous (also from a blank canvas) that I haven't arranged yet.

I do the mixing throughout the whole writing process, and see if I'm happy with it when I finish the arrangement. any final adjustments for the mixing and mastering come then, and that takes me anywhere between the length of the song itself (in the cases where I feel no adjustment is necessary) and 2 hours.

I don't export specifically to master from the exported wave, the only stage between exporting and uploading it is compressing to mp3 to make sure nothing is going to be lost in that translation (but of course I upload the original wave to bandcamp.)

Feel free to keep asking. :)

• Information