100% Reason Thread

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Jan 2019
Easy! I only completed one track with Reason so far :D

Sounds really cool. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

Marc Swing wrote:
19 Jan 2019

Produced, mixed and mastered by me 100% in Reason
Not my kind of music but I like it. Sounds and looks really professional.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

Really hard to pick, but I'm gonna go with this my recent track "Nightmare 1", because I think it came out pretty unique and has a lot of character. There's so much different stuff crammed in there. Also I had a fun time making it.

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I hate almost all of my music after going back and listening to it a few months later! I guess this one is okay, I still don't like it very much. The mix just sounds bad to me now.

Very loud and over-compressed sound, but the idea of this was actually not that bad.

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

Marc Swing wrote:
19 Jan 2019

Produced, mixed and mastered by me 100% in Reason
Wow, really cathy and great sounding track. The video was also very cool. Respect!

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

Marc64 wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I think this is one of my best.
I've heard this when I still had an account over soundcloud. And yup, really nice chill tune this! :thumbs_up:

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I don't do much 100% in Reason these days. Been doing a lot of orchestral heavy/hybrid type projects for the past few years primarily using Reaper. But...! On occasion I do sneak back to Reason and make some fun screw around tracks, like this one:

Lofi/Oldschoolish tune as I hear. Nice bizzare sounds.

Oquasec

20 Jan 2019

Tbh I don't consider Reason past Reason 8 100% Reason.
Now if this was like some kind of Cult of Reason 5 exclusive users I would be like sure lmao.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I rather like this one... recently remixed version of a song made in Reason 4 a while back...

It was a nice sonic trip to hear this. What's the genre, I dunno but very nice!

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jan 2019
Really hard to pick, but I'm gonna go with this my recent track "Nightmare 1", because I think it came out pretty unique and has a lot of character. There's so much different stuff crammed in there. Also I had a fun time making it.

Yeah, i've heard this before, I like the kickin' ass attitude in this! Reminds me of some Command & Conquer music. :)

artotaku

20 Jan 2019

My most successful track has been a Remix of an Atari ST chip tune by !Cube. I´m still proud of it. Obviously, the original tune has been amazing already. I used Thor for most of the synths sound and it´s really great for chip tunes.

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

artotaku wrote:
20 Jan 2019
My most successful track has been a Remix of an Atari ST chip tune by !Cube. I´m still proud of it. Obviously, the original tune has been amazing already. I used Thor for most of the synths sound and it´s really great for chip tunes.

Lovely track! Lots of earcandy during the whole song. Yeah Thor is good for certain kind of sounds - there's no other synths like Thor.

Heigen5

20 Jan 2019

drloop wrote:
20 Jan 2019
This made me think of James Bond 007 movie music somehow. Nice track - my neighbour said "Interesting". ;)

rgdaniel

20 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
20 Jan 2019
rgdaniel wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I rather like this one... recently remixed version of a song made in Reason 4 a while back...

It was a nice sonic trip to hear this. What's the genre, I dunno but very nice!
Thanks for listening! I don't generally do genre.
The goal is "Genre Defying" but I suppose I usually end up somewhere around "Prog/Psych Pretensions" :puf_smile:

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
20 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
19 Jan 2019
I hate almost all of my music after going back and listening to it a few months later! I guess this one is okay, I still don't like it very much. The mix just sounds bad to me now.

Very loud and over-compressed sound, but the idea of this was actually not that bad.
I'm just a noob learning, what can I say?

Really though, for the genre it's not that loud :D The drop section bounces around between -7 and -9 LUFS(short term), where-as most track's in the same genre are around -4 to -6! The label that signed it never mentioned anything to me about it being too loud/over-compressed or anything, that's just part of the sound I was going for. If you simply don't like it, that's completely understandable, but compared to the other tracks in the genre(and bass music in general), it's nowhere near too loud IMO. Different strokes for different folks :puf_smile:
It has to be loud enough to not stand out like a sore thumb when played in DJ set, for example. I think that I hit a decent balance with that track, though the mix leaves a lot to be desired!

The intro/build never goes above -13 LUFS FWIW.
AS7RO wrote:
19 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
19 Jan 2019

Shut up your music is gorgeous. your intro = your signature
and your overall arrangement is good
Well you know how it is.. artists are usually their own worst critics! It's good to know that some people enjoy the track. It's definitely a learning experience for me.

Heigen5

21 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2019

Really though, for the genre it's not that loud :D The drop section bounces around between -7 and -9 LUFS(short term), where-as most track's in the same genre are around -4 to -6! The label that signed it never mentioned anything to me about it being too loud/over-compressed or anything, that's just part of the sound I was going for. If you simply don't like it, that's completely understandable, but compared to the other tracks in the genre(and bass music in general), it's nowhere near too loud IMO. Different strokes for different folks :puf_smile:
It has to be loud enough to not stand out like a sore thumb when played in DJ set, for example. I think that I hit a decent balance with that track, though the mix leaves a lot to be desired!

Like I said, I like the track idea. Anyway, the loudness isn't always a problem, but in this case I thought that your sound is a bit too harsh AND loud at the same time, so that's why I gave you this kind of a comment. Don't worry though, just my opinion. ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2019

Like I said, I like the track idea. Anyway, the loudness isn't always a problem, but in this case I thought that your sound is a bit too harsh AND loud at the same time, so that's why I gave you this kind of a comment. Don't worry though, just my opinion. ;)
Oh so now it's too harsh? :D

Like I said, compared to other tracks in the genre it's not loud at all.

Which parts do you find harsh?

Heigen5

21 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019

I gave it a new play and well, I didn't find it as harsh as in the first time. Maybe the sweep in clap/snare and few hihats were a tad too harsh, but otherwise it wasn't. Also, this tune was actually very good. Remember that some people make music for loud listening too, which means they can't do too much harshness. Your tune needs to have my interface's volume knob at the middle in your case. Keep it up, if you're rather new to this music making then you rather do really well bro. :puf_smile:

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2019

I gave it a new play and well, I didn't find it as harsh as in the first time. Maybe the sweep in clap/snare and few hihats were a tad too harsh, but otherwise it wasn't. Also, this tune was actually very good. Remember that some people make music for loud listening too, which means they can't do too much harshness. Your tune needs to have my interface's volume knob at the middle in your case. Keep it up, if you're rather new to this music making then you rather do really well bro. :puf_smile:
That brings me back to what I originally said about the mix leaving a lot to be desired. The sweep into the snare/clap could use some volume reduction, and the hats could use some de-essing or volume reduction, maybe both. I don't disagree with you there. "Your sound is harsh" and "Very loud and over-compressed sound" is pretty vague and I don't agree with those statements. Frankly they just came off as an insult because I know what over-compressed and too loud sounds like, especially when not done tastefully/properly. I don't mean to come across as a know-it-all either, I'm certainly aware of the fact that I have much to learn in all facets of music/production.

I could nitpick the track to oblivion (and all the other tracks posted here too! but I didn't think that's what this thread you made was for) I find it interesting that you singled out only my track to leave negative feedback. (if I said something to upset you, my apologies)

As stated, I'm my own worst critic and I try to be honest with my shortcomings; I can usually spot them a few weeks or months after the track was made. It's an important process in becoming a better producer, or becoming better at anything for that matter.

I'm not particularly "new" I just said I was a noob, which is something I say to remind myself that I'm always learning and growing. There is always more to learn. It's easy to get comfortable and stop learning and trying new things. Stagnate, you know?

At any rate, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Heigen5

21 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019

That brings me back to what I originally said about the mix leaving a lot to be desired. The sweep into the snare/clap could use some volume reduction, and the hats could use some de-essing or volume reduction, maybe both. I don't disagree with you there. "Your sound is harsh" and "Very loud and over-compressed sound" is pretty vague and I don't agree with those statements. Frankly they just came off as an insult because I know what over-compressed and too loud sounds like, especially when not done tastefully/properly. I don't mean to come across as a know-it-all either, I'm certainly aware of the fact that I have much to learn in all facets of music/production.

I could nitpick the track to oblivion (and all the other tracks posted here too! but I didn't think that's what this thread you made was for) I find it interesting that you singled out only my track to leave negative feedback. (if I said something to upset you, my apologies)

As stated, I'm my own worst critic and I try to be honest with my shortcomings; I can usually spot them a few weeks or months after the track was made. It's an important process in becoming a better producer, or becoming better at anything for that matter.

I'm not particularly "new" I just said I was a noob, which is something I say to remind myself that I'm always learning and growing. There is always more to learn. It's easy to get comfortable and stop learning and trying new things. Stagnate, you know?

I wasn't suppose to give critics, sorry that I did. One of the guys adviced me too to lowcut my lead in this thread, it's ok. I admitt that sometimes the critics feel bad, especially when it was worded out like someone didn't like it. Anyway, buddy, relax, your tune is very good. I'm a Reasoner since 2002 but I'm still trying to get better myself. ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2019

I wasn't suppose to give critics, sorry that I did. One of the guys adviced me too to lowcut my lead in this thread, it's ok. I admitt that sometimes the critics feel bad, especially when it was worded out like someone didn't like it. Anyway, buddy, relax, your tune is very good. I'm a Reasoner since 2002 but I'm still trying to get better myself. ;)
I'm pretty calm and collect right now. I've no reason not to be calm (though it's hard for you to gauge that through text) Can't tell if you're projecting or genuinely took my response as being upset or angry. I simply was telling you what was on my mind, in what I thought was a calm manner. (is there such a thing via text? :D )

Anyway, I do appreciate your sentiment towards my track but you keep telling me my track is good over and over as if I'm seeking validation, which I'm not :puf_smile: Maybe my blatant honestly is coming across in the wrong way? I digress :puf_smile:

Now in an attempt to contribute to the thread in a more positive/meaningful way, I've listened to all tracks now and we've got some seriously good stuff in this thread!

Heigen5's Actually pretty damn catchy vocals! Or at least some parts of it I found were very catchy. Is that you singing? Kind of getting a oldschool vibe which I liked.

FlowerSoldier's The use of pitching vocals with neptune in those tracks is definitely cool and I'll be experimenting with that technique one day for sure.

antic604's this track I've heard before and remember enjoying thoroughly. An adventure indeed! Sounds well mixed and has lots of dynamic elements in it with cool acid basses. That lead that comes in around 5:05 is something else!

Marc Swing's the track has great mix and production. Love the vocals too, sounds very professional/commercial. Nice work!

Marc64 - I dig the melodic elements of your track, it's got a weird vibe to it that I really like.

ASTRO's track which I've already commented on before in a previous thread, is definitely up my alley! Sounds like you went back to tweak the mix. Sounds much better! Good stuff man.

Crumbfort's track is simply a beaut! Minimal but a good use of space in the mix, well mixed and great drums! Has a bit of a lofi quality to it.

rgdaniel's the stand out in this track for me is the drums, they've just got that oldschool sound to them which I enjoy from time to time. Also has interesting melodic elements, definitely something you don't hear often but it works IMO.

Heigen5

21 Jan 2019

@aeox, thanx for the kind words, yeah it's me singing. I finished this 4 months ago.
I was a teen in the 90's so it propably affected me. :)
Any other songs you have?

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019
@aeox, thanx for the kind words, yeah it's me singing. I finished this 4 months ago.
:thumbs_up:

Oh yea, they say that your musical tastes from teens stick with you for the rest of your life! :D

Currently, all I've got is the song in my signature which is a work in progress with no intro or outro :P

Heigen5

21 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
21 Jan 2019
:thumbs_up:

Oh yea, they say that your musical tastes from teens stick with you for the rest of your life! :D

Currently, all I've got is the song in my signature which is a work in progress with no intro or outro :P

Good synthwork there, some nice textures as well. There's defo potential in your music. Keep up the good work! :thumbs_up:

I think I need some sleep now, see you later! :geek:

• Information