(Electronic) You Have To Let Go, from upcoming album "Mesmera"

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
adfielding

09 Jul 2018

Hi all,

I'm currently gearing up to release my new album Mesmera on the 8th August, and decided to share a track in advance of its release. The track is called "You Have To Let Go", and you can check it out here:

The album itself is a sort-of spiritual successor to an earlier album of mine called And All Is As It Should Be, which was a totally beatless ambient album I released back in 2012. I've been meaning to re-visit this style again for a long time, and decided to mix things up a bit this time with some more rolling percussion.

The track itself is based on an old idea I started way back in 2008 in Reason 4 and just got totally stuck on. It really bugged me that I could never finish it, until I listened back to it again this year and decided to re-build it from scratch in Reason 10. I was really thrilled with how it turned out, and so I decided to use it to round-out the album that was more-or-less otherwise complete by this point. After a decade of having this tune sitting around in an incomplete form, the relief of finally finishing it was nothing short of palpable!

The full album will be released on the 8th August as a pay-what-you-want thing on Bandcamp, though I'll be releasing an Extended version for Bandcamp subscribers and anyone who pre-orders it. It'll also be making its way over to iTunes/Spotify/Amazon/et al. I'd love to know what you think!

Cheers :)

esselfortium

09 Jul 2018

I love this. Lush and beautiful stuff, and the percussion is brilliant, intricate and deep but not overpowering. The way it picks up at around 5 minutes pushes it into the stratosphere.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

adfielding

10 Jul 2018

esselfortium wrote:
09 Jul 2018
I love this. Lush and beautiful stuff, and the percussion is brilliant, intricate and deep but not overpowering. The way it picks up at around 5 minutes pushes it into the stratosphere.
Thanks Sarah, really glad to hear that you liked it!

raymondh

16 Jul 2018

Beautiful track Adam.

I really like the sound design and especially the contrast between the clicky percussion and the soft/lush ambient pads.

There's a lot of layers and details in this one! Must have taken ages!

Nice one!

MindTheft

16 Jul 2018

Wow, beautiful track. The pads are gorgeous, and I love sometimes glitchy percussion.

Great job 👍

adfielding

17 Jul 2018

raymondh wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Beautiful track Adam.

I really like the sound design and especially the contrast between the clicky percussion and the soft/lush ambient pads.

There's a lot of layers and details in this one! Must have taken ages!

Nice one!
Thank you! I was going to say "well yeah, it took ten years", but I feel that's kind of disingenuous as I spent most of that time NOT working on it, haha :) Really glad you liked it!
MindTheft wrote:
16 Jul 2018
Wow, beautiful track. The pads are gorgeous, and I love sometimes glitchy percussion.

Great job 👍
Cheers! I'm trying to get away from using glitchy percussion for the sake of glitchy percussion, but sometimes I've got to get some of that ear candy in there :D

• Information