Ambient: Something Different...

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
avensa

02 Nov 2015

Hey guys, been a while since I've come on to this forum. Just wanted to share a track with you all that was solely made in Reason. I wanted to try something different (hence the title) and is for free download if you wish to download it!

Respect,
-AVENSA

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2015

This is nice. Tho I wonder at the drums as they don't quite seem right (like something lumpy under the blanket).

Lovely sound overall

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2015

Are there drums in this version? Don't hear any - did you create a different mix since Benedict's comment?

One thing I DO hear that bothers me, and it may be Soundcloud artifacts, is what I would describe as compression artifacts (especially starting around 0:45). At 1:05-1:10 I hear the cello level "pumping and breathing" pretty badly, which I find distracts from the serenity/mood of the piece. I would guess (knowing Reason) it's the Master Compressor (or other mix bus compressor) being driven to more than 3-4 dB of gain reduction that's causing this, since it's affected the entire mix. Back off of this and you'll still have a plenty loud mix since there's little overall dynamics in this piece to begin with.

IMO there's really little need for heavy mix bus compression on tracks like this, assuming of course that's what I'm hearing. Better to slightly compress at multiple stages in my experience.
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2015

Maybe that was what I was hearing. I didn't investigate but would fit with the distracting lumpy blanket feeling towards the end.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

avensa

03 Nov 2015

selig wrote:Are there drums in this version? Don't hear any - did you create a different mix since Benedict's comment?

One thing I DO hear that bothers me, and it may be Soundcloud artifacts, is what I would describe as compression artifacts (especially starting around 0:45). At 1:05-1:10 I hear the cello level "pumping and breathing" pretty badly, which I find distracts from the serenity/mood of the piece. I would guess (knowing Reason) it's the Master Compressor (or other mix bus compressor) being driven to more than 3-4 dB of gain reduction that's causing this, since it's affected the entire mix. Back off of this and you'll still have a plenty loud mix since there's little overall dynamics in this piece to begin with.

IMO there's really little need for heavy mix bus compression on tracks like this, assuming of course that's what I'm hearing. Better to slightly compress at multiple stages in my experience.
I have found the problems and have fixed them. Haven't looked at the project in quite a while due to lack of time and changing between DAWs. The drums are actually filtered as I wanted to give them a more distant touch, but will also look more into that. Thank you very much for your feedback. It's much appreciated.

-AVENSA

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2015

avensa wrote:
selig wrote:Are there drums in this version? Don't hear any - did you create a different mix since Benedict's comment?

I have found the problems and have fixed them. Haven't looked at the project in quite a while due to lack of time and changing between DAWs. The drums are actually filtered as I wanted to give them a more distant touch, but will also look more into that. Thank you very much for your feedback. It's much appreciated.

-AVENSA
Doh - turned it up and the drums were more apparent. Still sounds like they are pumping the mix rather than sounding more distant. The pumping effect negates the distant effect IMO, since if they were really "distant" they would not interact with the other elements in the mix. Just my 2 cents, would love to hear the updated version as this is quite a lovely piece IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

avensa

06 Nov 2015

Just replaced the audio file. Hope it sounds better.

Respect,
AVENSA

• Information