Options for real sounding drum kits

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Harold_Shnepts

Post 30 Jun 2024

Hey all long time lurker.

Long time reason user since about version 3. Now on reason 10 but will upgrade to 13 when it goes on sale eventually.

I'm getting a little burnt out on the redrum/kong endlessly looking thru folders of single snares and kicks and hats. The factory sound bank takes so long to find the right sound for me lately and kills my vibe.

In the past I've used abbey road modern drums and found it to be a little easier to work with. I no longer have access to it since switching computers several years ago.

What's everyone's go to drum sample vst type things? I know there's slate and ez and superior and addictive.

Is there a general consensus on the most inexpensive one that gets the job done? I don't need endless kits more just looking for 2 or 3 great ones I can set and forget. I don't mind editing eq compress shaping sounds forever but I'm getting tired of the clicking thru 1000 snares to find one that's applicable.

Thanks!

huggermugger

Post 30 Jun 2024

Check out MODO Drum. The SE version contains five kits (Studio, Jazzy, Silver, Brit Custom and Metal) and is on sale right now for $39. Physical modelled, not sampled, though there are also sampled elements in the sound engine. These drums sound amazing, very organic. There's also a free version available, one kit only (Studio).

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/

BTW, the full version (13 kits) is on sale at Plugin Boutique for $79.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... O-DRUM-1-5

guitfnky

Post 30 Jun 2024

I've got EZ Drummer 3, and Addictive Drums 2, as well as a few others. I think if you just want something basic, but solid, the Reason Drum Kits RE is great (have that as well). it's a bit more limited, but still sounds great, and does a really good job providing realistic sounding drums. as far as VSTs, EZD and AD2 are both awesome, but excel in different areas. AD2 sounds better, to my ears, and is incredibly flexible from a tweakability perspective (and is very intuitive). EZD excels at humanization (a big thing for me), and has some good tools to find pre-recorded patterns to load. it sounds great too, but is less tweakable if you prefer to fully mix your own raw drum sounds from scratch. both give you some basic kits to get started and you can purchase additional packs if you need to change sounds. AD2 is older, but I think goes on sale fairly regularly. I think EZD is rarely on sale. really depends what you need. the cheapest of the three might be Reason Drum Kits, especially if you can catch it on sale.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

Post 30 Jun 2024

Harold_Shnepts wrote:
30 Jun 2024
Hey all long time lurker.

Long time reason user since about version 3. Now on reason 10 but will upgrade to 13 when it goes on sale eventually.

I'm getting a little burnt out on the redrum/kong endlessly looking thru folders of single snares and kicks and hats. The factory sound bank takes so long to find the right sound for me lately and kills my vibe.

In the past I've used abbey road modern drums and found it to be a little easier to work with. I no longer have access to it since switching computers several years ago.

What's everyone's go to drum sample vst type things? I know there's slate and ez and superior and addictive.

Is there a general consensus on the most inexpensive one that gets the job done? I don't need endless kits more just looking for 2 or 3 great ones I can set and forget. I don't mind editing eq compress shaping sounds forever but I'm getting tired of the clicking thru 1000 snares to find one that's applicable.

Thanks!
If you've created a few Kong kits you liked in previous protects, used hours funding the right sounds, why not save those patches and reuse them on your projects if you're only looking for two three kits? You did the job, reap the rewards, save your money towards 13 where is much easier and faster to find sounds 💪

• Information