open source millitary percussion beats available?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
lookingforbeatzz

11 Mar 2024

LS,

I am new here and although no longer young I still would like to enter the field of music creating before I depart.

I would love to try something out like this, to me, crazy cool military percussion.

Please listen to the first 2 bars of this instrumental version of "loose my breath" it is about 8 seconds these first 2 bars.

Are there any open source tracks I could get inspiration from of perhaps even VST modules (open source) to get something like this a realistic goal?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

13 Mar 2024

Hi,

You should probably look for MIDI files of this nature and then it's simply a case of putting your own sounds in.

I think what you are after is "Creative Commons" i.e. no legal obligations (there's different variations of how CC works, so always read the agreements). Strictly speaking "open source" means software that has the code available for download. You need sounds and grooves, rather than software.

Hope this helps,
B

lookingforbeatzz

13 Mar 2024

understood!!! Also regarding CC. that you for making that distinction.

However is not the issue with MIDI just the fact that we then are responsible for our own velocity modulation if we feed out own 'sounds"?

Look I am not a total newcomer. back when I was young still I dabbled with the Roland D10 and cakewalk through MIDI.

I always found it to be intimidating and thus I kind of gave up on it. Now Many years later I just want to not depart before I have had another jab at it.

Now especially Reason i have high hopes for to smooth out some wrinkles an old man might have wanting to join anyway.

Now I am rather intimidated by what I had to go through all those years ago. Has nothing improved since then for my specific scenario in the meantime?

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2024

There's a lot of variation available to percussionists.

Just think of what a percussionist can do with a single drum!

The simplest approach that hasn't changed in the last 30 years is to stitch samples together.

Alternatively, you can try key-switching with the more advanced instruments you'd find in some Kontakt and EWQL libraries.

Or you could create variations in Kong through filtering and other effects where one sound can be distributed and varied across pads.

For reference, that intro was performed by the Michigan Marching Band.

lookingforbeatzz

13 Mar 2024

Michigan Marching Band. thank you for mention that.

Now I can't stop watching them :)

How is one supposed to start making music when glued to the screen watching them? hahaha

But sampling I was never good at. I am sure things have improved by now especially filtering out unwanted parts I reckon are far more advanced now a days yes? But those tasks or not found in a typical DAW yes? or these days they are?

jam-s

13 Mar 2024

You could check if anything form one of these links is of help:

* https://samplefocus.com/samples/marching-snare-roll
* https://pixabay.com/sound-effects/search/marching-band/
* https://freesound.org/people/LG/sounds/34133/
* https://freesound.org/people/LG/sounds/34134/

With samples you could slice them to REX2 and then put hem in Dr.Octorex and shuffle them around. Or put them into Mimic and get creative.

A dedicated VST or sample library could also be an option, but ALWAYS make sure to trial them before, as audio demos don't tell you how cumbersome it is to get to those results:

e.g. https://www.acousticsamples.net/marchin or https://www.garritan.com/products/conce ... ng-band-2/

As for MIDI files: Those include velocity information as well and would allow for the most flexibility. A term to search for apart from "marching band" seems to be "military cadence". The MIDI library of the same name seems to be quite good: http://www.platinumsamples.com/ps/MilitaryCadence.php

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2024

Or you could just line them up the waves in the timeline view where you can make use of the Recycle + stretch combination.

Bes
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2024

lose my breath is a banger
- Certified Reason expert

lookingforbeatzz

14 Mar 2024

thank you all. great suggestions.

I am checking things out!

DaveyG

14 Mar 2024

Here ya go. Unzip this attachment (the forum wouldn't let me attach a midi file!)
drums.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Create a Kong track. Load up an acoustic kit (I used "Modelled Acoustic") and drag in the midi file. It sounds OK as is but experiment with changing the sounds on each drum pad.

I also found this:

https://percussion.okstate.edu/Pages/pastmusic.html

A bunch of marching band covers of pop and classical stuff and some exercises. A mix of notation, MIDI, MP3 and videos so it will take some effort to sift through it but I bet there are a few gems in there somewhere.

lookingforbeatzz

14 Mar 2024

Now even though I am going to go through each and every of the suggestions made thus far. I have recently learned, after having learned that it was the "Michigan Marching Band" that this intro is a variation of "Taps"

Here one can listen to the original

lookingforbeatzz

14 Mar 2024

the more I listen to that opening, after having found the source "Taps" the more I am convinced that as one suggested here earlier there is indeed some of key manipulation going on.

lookingforbeatzz

14 Mar 2024

but then so subtle that is would not even register on an Arabic key scale :)

motuscott

14 Mar 2024

This is what the future has wrought.
National Association of Rudimental Drummers, why hast thou forsaken me?!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

lookingforbeatzz

08 Apr 2024

holy smokes. not taps but certainly something to consider.

lookingforbeatzz

08 Apr 2024

it does look out of sync though. as if the video does not reflect the actual sound we hear.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Apr 2024

lookingforbeatzz wrote:
08 Apr 2024
it does look out of sync though. as if the video does not reflect the actual sound we hear.
Perfectly in sync for me. You might have a little delay.

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2024

lookingforbeatzz wrote:
08 Apr 2024

Drumline was my life from middle school into college. My friends went on to march in Drum Corps but I preferred the studio life (no regrets there).
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

08 Apr 2024

I have seen some amazing drumlines, miles over my head.
Still, give me Roy Haynes, Max & Philly Joe.

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2024

motuscott wrote:
08 Apr 2024
I have seen some amazing drumlines, miles over my head.
Still, give me Roy Haynes, Max & Philly Joe.
Drumline for me was about the thrill of a large group in perfect (or close!) sync, the power of ‘many’ making the sound of ‘one’. I will admit I don’t watch drumline/drum corps videos myself, so it was more about the powerful experience for me than the actual music being presented.

It actually taught me a lot about getting in sync musically, since the level of precision is so high for percussion instruments (especially since you have multiple players playing the exact same thing). I believe my own sense of timing improved, as well as my ability to “play well with others” musically speaking because of the years I spent playing snare in a drum line.

But I hear you - for me it’s “give me Ringo, Charlie, Bonham, and Nick Mason” (and these days I’d include Matt Chamberlain for good measure).
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

09 Apr 2024

That's true. Sync w/ drumline has to be impeccable.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Drumline for me was about the thrill of a large group in perfect (or close!) sync, the power of ‘many’ making the sound of ‘one’. I will admit I don’t watch drumline/drum corps videos myself, so it was more about the powerful experience for me than the actual music being presented.

It actually taught me a lot about getting in sync musically, since the level of precision is so high for percussion instruments (especially since you have multiple players playing the exact same thing). I believe my own sense of timing improved, as well as my ability to “play well with others” musically speaking because of the years I spent playing snare in a drum line.

But I hear you - for me it’s “give me Ringo, Charlie, Bonham, and Nick Mason” (and these days I’d include Matt Chamberlain for good measure).
I had a smaller-scale experience of this through samba reggae drumming (with carnival drums).

I held the caixa.

The leader taught us a lot through the experience. We delivered in schools and as part of a teambuilding initiative with practitioners. He immediately pointed out who would be the "troublemakers" and explained how team dynamics manifest in the activity (and hopefully, vice versa).

It taught me a lot of discipline and humility.

We learned to value the "simpler" instruments like triangles (I've always valued them).

But the sync was hypnotic.

When playing in live jams, I feel its influence directing how I relate with other musicians.

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2024

avasopht wrote:
09 Apr 2024
selig wrote:
09 Apr 2024

I had a smaller-scale experience of this through samba reggae drumming (with carnival drums).

I held the caixa.

The leader taught us a lot through the experience. We delivered in schools and as part of a teambuilding initiative with practitioners. He immediately pointed out who would be the "troublemakers" and explained how team dynamics manifest in the activity (and hopefully, vice versa).

It taught me a lot of discipline and humility.

We learned to value the "simpler" instruments like triangles (I've always valued them).

But the sync was hypnotic.

When playing in live jams, I feel its influence directing how I relate with other musicians.
I have noticed how I can listen and lock in with other players, and that some folks don't seem to be going for the same thing. I've been on big sessions setting up, and would 'echo' a line someone just played - half the time the player immediately looks around and smiles, the other half don't even notice. It's like having a one sided conversation, but I don't think I'd think about it the same way if not for drum line.
I also (oddly?) associate the precision of drum line with the precision of sequencing (Berlin School especially) and arpeggiating with delays locked in step, and approach the two in similar ways. Or maybe that's just me?
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

09 Apr 2024

selig wrote:
08 Apr 2024
lookingforbeatzz wrote:
08 Apr 2024

Drumline was my life from middle school into college. My friends went on to march in Drum Corps but I preferred the studio life (no regrets there).
That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I've got my suspicions that Giles still wears his drumline uniform every once in a while.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

10 Apr 2024

challism wrote:
09 Apr 2024
selig wrote:
08 Apr 2024

That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing.

I've got my suspicions that Giles still wears his drumline uniform every once in a while.
Did you hack my webcams again?!?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information