My Roland RS-09 Combinator

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
mbfrancis

29 Oct 2023

Hello—

I’ve never posted here, hopefully people don’t mind one-off patches.

I’ve been borrowing my friend’s Roland RS-09 and I’ve kind of fallen in love with it, it’s such an odd keyboard and yet very useful. I especially like the dreamy organ through the ensemble, and I’ve loved the Solina-esque string sound. So I thought I try to come close to it – in vibe at least – in a combi using all stock devices.

Here’s the link let me know what you think: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8slw052k ... 79ih9&dl=0

Here’s a quick overview:
• It has 2 different organs, each with 4 draw bars (can only run one at a time), and 2 string oscillators, 16’ and 8’.
• A Vibrato section controls all voices.
• A Transpose button bumps all voices up an octave.
• Release adds some release to all voices, I usually leave this on, even with organ.
• The Strings have an Attack control.
• The Organ has an on/off while the Strings have buttons for each Octave. I added a Level in the string section because I miss this on the device.
• Each section has Ensemble on/off. There are two different global Ensemble options. For Ensembles I’m literally just using the two Ensemble Presets in Quartet. So Ensemble 1 is the default patch “Big BBD Ensemble” – sounds great.
• I added a few extras, a global Drift control – each oscillator has its own setting – and there’s a compressor in the path that helps I think, but you can turn it off. (I also had an Umpf Retro drum machine using the Tape sim but I figured not everyone has Umpf.)

OK some notes:
• I’m using only Thors for oscillators, deliberately trying to keep it simple. Organ 1 is a triangle which comes really close. Organ 2 the closest I could find was one of the ‘Mixed Wave’ wavetables.
• For the Strings I’m just using 2 basic Saws – I think this part of the sound could use the most work, but I wanted to keep it using stock instruments. I’m all ears if anyone has better ideas for (stock) sound sources for these.

The Strings don’t sound that close, not gritty enough, but the Organ sounds really close, and either way this is a lot of fun to play.

Let me know what you think.

--MB
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

sehov

30 Oct 2023

Preview picture please...

mbfrancis

30 Oct 2023

Here you go (why can't I edit my original post)

Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

moneykube

30 Oct 2023

mbfrancis wrote:
30 Oct 2023
Here you go (why can't I edit my original post)

there seems to be a time limit on editing posts... it is a small window imo
thanks for the combinator :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information