Soundmasters MIDI Chord Progressions $10

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
huggermugger

20 Sep 2023

In case you need a little inspiration, here's 3000 little inspirations...

https://vstalarm.com/product/all-midi-b ... ndmasters/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.20.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 3.20.19 PM.png (183.79 KiB) Viewed 27658 times

DaveyG

20 Sep 2023

Wow! You can buy chords! I wonder where they get them from....

jam-s

20 Sep 2023

DaveyG wrote:
20 Sep 2023
/dev/urandom, I suppose.

huggermugger

20 Sep 2023

DaveyG wrote:
20 Sep 2023
Chord progressions aren't much different than drumbeats in terms of pre-made musical elements that have value to a producer. It's just as easy to manufacture chord progressions for the purpose of selling them as it is to manufacture MIDI and audio drum loops.

integerpoet

21 Sep 2023

huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2023
DaveyG wrote:
20 Sep 2023
Chord progressions aren't much different than drumbeats in terms of pre-made musical elements that have value to a producer. It's just as easy to manufacture chord progressions for the purpose of selling them as it is to manufacture MIDI and audio drum loops.
There is tension between those who think of themselves as producers and those who think of themselves as composers. I enjoy dinking around in tools which suggest the next chord, so maybe I'm in between? :-)

mimidancer

22 Sep 2023

integerpoet wrote:
21 Sep 2023
huggermugger wrote:
20 Sep 2023

There is tension between those who think of themselves as producers and those who think of themselves as composers. I enjoy dinking around in tools which suggest the next chord, so maybe I'm in between? :-)
Even if you know nothing about music, if you have Reason( I assume all of us do) You could just use the scales and chords player device. Or better yet the Chord Sequencer device. I am a proficient player with a good understanding of Western music theory. So they would not be for me. The only issue I have with them is they target novice players and take their money for something you could look up online or generate with the tools we already have. Please do not think I am judging because I can play. One of my favorite producers is a terrible player. But his music is amazing. As for the chord packs they might work for someone, but mostly they separate noobs from their money. Very much the way Eurorack takes mine. Oh shit, I'm rambling. Sorry.

integerpoet

22 Sep 2023

mimidancer wrote:
22 Sep 2023
integerpoet wrote:
21 Sep 2023
Even if you know nothing about music, if you have Reason( I assume all of us do) You could just use the scales and chords player device. Or better yet the Chord Sequencer device. I am a proficient player with a good understanding of Western music theory. So they would not be for me. The only issue I have with them is they target novice players and take their money for something you could look up online or generate with the tools we already have. Please do not think I am judging because I can play. One of my favorite producers is a terrible player. But his music is amazing. As for the chord packs they might work for someone, but mostly they separate noobs from their money.
You aren't wrong, but I think the "legitimate" market for this might be larger than you expect.

There are people who do not trust themselves to judge whether a chord progression sounds good.

There are also people who do not trust themselves to judge whether a piece of clothing looks good.

A "designer label" is powerful for such people and they see no reason to "graduate" from that.

People who walk around in the world with somebody else's name emblazoned across their chests are usually boring and to be avoided, but they aren't necessarily noobs who'll get better eventually.

They might just be rappers who want a chord bed quickly so they can focus on the important business of bragging about sexual conquests, shooting rivals, and bottle service.

And who among us wouldn't like more time to obsess over finding and tweaking the perfect kick drum sample?

robussc

22 Sep 2023

Latest issue of Computer Music (CM326) has an article about a free chords project: https://drolez.com/freemidi in case $10 (or $426!!!) is too much...
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

mimidancer

22 Sep 2023

integerpoet wrote:
22 Sep 2023
mimidancer wrote:
22 Sep 2023

Even if you know nothing about music, if you have Reason( I assume all of us do) You could just use the scales and chords player device. Or better yet the Chord Sequencer device. I am a proficient player with a good understanding of Western music theory. So they would not be for me. The only issue I have with them is they target novice players and take their money for something you could look up online or generate with the tools we already have. Please do not think I am judging because I can play. One of my favorite producers is a terrible player. But his music is amazing. As for the chord packs they might work for someone, but mostly they separate noobs from their money.
You aren't wrong, but I think the "legitimate" market for this might be larger than you expect.

There are people who do not trust themselves to judge whether a chord progression sounds good.

There are also people who do not trust themselves to judge whether a piece of clothing looks good.

A "designer label" is powerful for such people and they see no reason to "graduate" from that.

People who walk around in the world with somebody else's name emblazoned across their chests are usually boring and to be avoided, but they aren't necessarily noobs who'll get better eventually.

They might just be rappers who want a chord bed quickly so they can focus on the important business of bragging about sexual conquests, shooting rivals, and bottle service.

And who among us wouldn't like more time to obsess over finding and tweaking the perfect kick drum sample?

As I said, if it works for you, it works. But please know my time will not spent on kick drums. It is spent modulating my modulators.

integerpoet

24 Sep 2023

mimidancer wrote:
22 Sep 2023
...please know my time will not spent on kick drums. It is spent modulating my modulators.
My vice is apparently obsessing over eliminating harshness when I could just buy Soothe.

• Information