FM4 - Tritone Refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

I already knew I liked FM4 from before, so I decided to revisit it since it's been while I played around with it.
56 patches. No combinator patches. Categories: Bass, Melody, Pads, Percussion, Random.
This time I ended up with an unusual amount of bass patches. I guess that's where FM synthesis naturally takes me most of the time.

No demo this time.

Feel free to check out the refill if you're interested. :puf_smile:
Attachments
Tritone Refill FM4.zip
(59.64 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

crimsonwarlock

31 Aug 2023

I'll grab it. I don't have FM4 yet, but it's on my "soon to get" list :puf_bigsmile:

So, an early thank you for these :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Aug 2023
I'll grab it. I don't have FM4 yet, but it's on my "soon to get" list :puf_bigsmile:

Are you sure FM4 will go on sale? As far as I know Primal Audio haven’t been very active for some time.
I’ve sort of changed perspective on these older REs. Quite a few of them have disappeared from the shop. Therefor if I find an older RE I want, especially if the developer hasn’t been very active, I don’t think I would take the risk of waiting for a sale.
How much is FM4 now full price?

integerpoet

31 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
I'll let the web site work out the exchange rates for everyone else. :-)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

But for me, right now, it would be US$49.

crimsonwarlock

31 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Aug 2023

Are you sure FM4 will go on sale? As far as I know Primal Audio haven’t been very active for some time.
I’ve sort of changed perspective on these older REs. Quite a few of them have disappeared from the shop. Therefor if I find an older RE I want, especially if the developer hasn’t been very active, I don’t think I would take the risk of waiting for a sale.
I don't think it will go on sale soon. And I agree with getting things before they disappear. I've actually started a topic about that quite some time ago :puf_wink: I bought Zero Hybrid full price because of that. So I'm not waiting on a sale for FM4, just waiting until I have the money spare to grab it :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023

I don't think it will go on sale soon. And I agree with getting things before they disappear. I've actually started a topic about that quite some time ago :puf_wink: I bought Zero Hybrid full price because of that. So I'm not waiting on a sale for FM4, just waiting until I have the money spare to grab it :puf_bigsmile:
Weird, I somehow got into my head that you said that you would get it on sale. I honestly don’t know where I got that from. Must have read too fast or something.

Anyway FM4 is worth having imo. Other synths might be more capable or whatever, but FM4 is just so quick and fun to work with.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

integerpoet wrote:
31 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
I'll let the web site work out the exchange rates for everyone else. :-)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

But for me, right now, it would be US$49.
Thanks. Alright €54 here.
That’s a bit on the pricey side for a smaller synth. But for FM4 I’d still pay that. If I remember correctly I got it for €25 a long time ago.

crimsonwarlock

31 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
That’s a bit on the pricey side for a smaller synth.
So, maybe I should wait for a sale :lol:
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
That’s a bit on the pricey side for a smaller synth.
Nah everything is too pricey these days. The longer you wait the more expensive it will get. :puf_smile:
Better buy it NOW!

moneykube

31 Aug 2023

cool... thanks for the refill :thumbup:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

moneykube wrote:
31 Aug 2023
cool... thanks for the refill :thumbup:
You're welcome :puf_smile:

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
31 Aug 2023

Nah everything is too pricey these days. The longer you wait the more expensive it will get. :puf_smile:
Better buy it NOW!
I would, if I didn't have a bunch of stuff I want first, and besides that, money is tight these days.
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
31 Aug 2023

Better buy it NOW!
I would, if I didn't have a bunch of stuff I want first, and besides that, money is tight these days.
Yeah I hear you. Like I mentioned in my other thread, I'm likely to get Strive. But I don't think it'll be much more than that right now.
What are you planning to get before FM4?

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
I'm not sure what to get first, but the return of Red Rock Sound brought several items to the top of my list. Especially C1-L1 that I've slept on for much too long, and RE173 which seems to be a Neve EQ emulation.
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
I'm not sure what to get first, but the return of Red Rock Sound brought several items to the top of my list. Especially C1-L1 that I've slept on for much too long, and RE173 which seems to be a Neve EQ emulation.
Ok I see. It's very rare I buy EQs and compressors nowadays. I pretty much have my go-tos that I reach for all the time.
But your comment is a good reminder to revisit C1-L1 again. Haven't used that one in forever.

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2023

Ok I see. It's very rare I buy EQs and compressors nowadays. I pretty much have my go-tos that I reach for all the time.
But your comment is a good reminder to revisit C1-L1 again. Haven't used that one in forever.
In the past, with Reaper, I used Molot a lot, and C1-L1 is based on Molot. I do have a nice assortment of EQs and compressors, but I'm getting more and more into using stuff with specific character for certain scenarios. I'm always trying different EQs and compressors. Even my default mastering stack has several options preconfigured to choose from.
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023

In the past, with Reaper, I used Molot a lot, and C1-L1 is based on Molot. I do have a nice assortment of EQs and compressors, but I'm getting more and more into using stuff with specific character for certain scenarios. I'm always trying different EQs and compressors. Even my default mastering stack has several options preconfigured to choose from.
Having a variety of compressors I get. Having a huge list of EQs to choose from matters less to me personally. But each to their own. For me as long as I have a few that I like, I'm fine. As long as I don't have to use the Mclass EQ. God I hate that one. :lol:

Btw do you have any music one can listen to? I've seen you around here for a long time now, but I don't think I've ever heard any of your music. Would be cool to hear. :puf_smile:
Only if you want to of course.

crimsonwarlock

01 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
Btw do you have any music one can listen to? I've seen you around here for a long time now, but I don't think I've ever heard any of your music. Would be cool to hear. :puf_smile:
It is coming. I've not been able to use my studio for several years because it was located 100 Km drive from my home, and corona also didn't help there. I've moved my studio back home not too long ago (I had a topic here about that move). I was in the process of mixing a track I did before in Reaper but completely re-arranged sound-wise in Reason. Then that knife accident happened and I didn't feel like working on it while in revalidation. Lots of other shit happened at the same time, keeping me out of the studio, and being here on the forum has been one of the few things that kept me sane. But things are coming around, and I'm hoping to get back soon to mixing (first) and composing/recording (later).

There are some tracks from me floating around the interwebs, but I don't want to post those here, as they were all done in Reaper.
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
01 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2023
It is coming. I've not been able to use my studio for several years because it was located 100 Km drive from my home, and corona also didn't help there. I've moved my studio back home not too long ago (I had a topic here about that move). I was in the process of mixing a track I did before in Reaper but completely re-arranged sound-wise in Reason. Then that knife accident happened and I didn't feel like working on it while in revalidation. Lots of other shit happened at the same time, keeping me out of the studio, and being here on the forum has been one of the few things that kept me sane. But things are coming around, and I'm hoping to get back soon to mixing (first) and composing/recording (later).

There are some tracks from me floating around the interwebs, but I don't want to post those here, as they were all done in Reaper.
If I remember correctly you are a guitar player right? So I take it you mostly make music with "real" instruments rather than electronic music. Or is it both?
Hope you'll get back to it soon.

crimsonwarlock

02 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2023
If I remember correctly you are a guitar player right? So I take it you mostly make music with "real" instruments rather than electronic music. Or is it both?
Not a guitar player. I'm a keyboard and piano player. I've been playing in live bands for a large part of my life. I also play a little MIDI-sax, I have a Yamaha WX-5. I make music mostly with synthesizers, but I do emulate all kinds of "real" instruments, as my main musical area is progressive/symphonic rock. I used to work with a real guitar player, a dear friend of mine, but he stopped playing all together when his wife died. These days I try to emulate guitars as well, and trying to get a good emulated guitar is a lot of fun for me.
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
02 Sep 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2023
Not a guitar player. I'm a keyboard and piano player. I've been playing in live bands for a large part of my life. I also play a little MIDI-sax, I have a Yamaha WX-5. I make music mostly with synthesizers, but I do emulate all kinds of "real" instruments, as my main musical area is progressive/symphonic rock. I used to work with a real guitar player, a dear friend of mine, but he stopped playing all together when his wife died. These days I try to emulate guitars as well, and trying to get a good emulated guitar is a lot of fun for me.
Alright. Must have gotten the guitar playing part mixed up with someone else then.

Yes imitating a guitar can be fun. Even though I am a guitar player originally I don't play much these days. I think one of my best guitar inspired moments is in this track. I used FM4 run through Scream4 for the solo I think. But a lot of the sound came from just knowing how a guitar player might play on the fretboard, especially for the fast legato run.
You can hear the solo at 1:48 - 2:15.

crimsonwarlock

03 Sep 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2023
But a lot of the sound came from just knowing how a guitar player might play on the fretboard, especially for the fast legato run.
I totally agree that mimicking how guitarists play is a large part of getting a believable result. I'm actively studying famous guitar players for both their sound and their FX chain to achieve it, as well as their playing style. The track I'm mixing atm has a David Gilmore -ish solo where I came pretty close to his sound, but especially used some of his signature note jumps, without actually realizing it when I recorded it. Hopefully I get to finish it soon, so you can hear it. It's a beast to mix though, as it has so many layers of instrumentation and vocals.
-------

Ichooselife

03 Sep 2023

thanks for the refill man , bit worrying about things dissapearing isn’t it ? when you can find some ancient vsts online albeit 32bit rack extensions are gone forever of reason goes .

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
03 Sep 2023
thanks for the refill man , bit worrying about things dissapearing isn’t it ? when you can find some ancient vsts online albeit 32bit rack extensions are gone forever of reason goes .
You're welcome.
I guess there are no guarantees in buying any software. I do like Reasons system of having one account to access everything you've bought, rather than having to create a new account for every VST developer you've bought from. If the worst happens with Reason and I lose everything I've bought, I'll still have all the hours of music I've created with it. For me that alone has been worth the money I've spent on it.

• Information