Euclid patches for binary prime numbers up to 65521

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
syzygianrrf9999

19 Oct 2021

I made a shell script in order to generate a few thousand Euclid patches which are rhythmic interpretations of the base 2 representations of prime numbers up to 65521 (the largest prime with 16 digits in binary).

Why?
  • Because I could.
How?
  • Each patch has a forced hit on any step corresponding sequentially with a "1" in a given prime. i.e. 337 = 101010001, so the Euclid patch has 9 steps in a rhythmic configuration of hit-rest-hit-rest-hit-rest-rest-rest-hit. Using 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16 resolution, these can make some fun polyrhythms. If 1/64 or 1/128th notes are used combined with sufficiently high BPM and sample rate, you can hear some fascinating interval interactions.
What are the folders for?
  • concatenate / non-concatenate - the latter is all primes which have binary representations that cannot be represented by concatenating the binary representations of other primes; these have wholly unique combinations of intervals. The former is everything else, which can be understood as an alternation between the patterns of two or more other primes.
  • evil / odious - the former are primes for which there are an even # of 1s (hits), while the latter have an odd # of 1s (hits).
  • iso / twin - twin primes are primes equal to another prime, +/-2, and isolated primes are the remainder for which this condition is not met.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mrT1Jn ... sp=sharing Enjoy :)
industrial/psycore/breakcore/electronic modular metal: https://soundcloud.com/rose-red-flechette

challism

19 Oct 2021

Wow! So cool. That's mighty Lectric Panda-like of you, not only to generate a bunch of patches automatically, but to share them with us. Thank you! Downloading now.

Robotic Bean Euclid is one of the most underrated players in the shop (along with Static Cling AutoLatch). It's amazing what new possibilities can be realized by opening and closing gates for different lengths and different rhythmic intervals.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

akeia

19 Oct 2021

This is very useful. I would like to suggest to name the patches in binary format. At least my brain can better understand how the rhythm will be structured.

syzygianrrf9999

19 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Wow! So cool. That's mighty Lectric Panda-like of you, not only to generate a bunch of patches automatically, but to share them with us. Thank you! Downloading now.

Robotic Bean Euclid is one of the most underrated players in the shop (along with Static Cling AutoLatch). It's amazing what new possibilities can be realized by opening and closing gates for different lengths and different rhythmic intervals.
Thanks! I had no idea Euclid was underrated, my mind is a bit blown; its by far my most used sequencer. I probably over-use it lol. The flexibility of the invert/toggle/inverse toggle/mute/reset outputs is a truly endless rabbit hole. I'll have to revisit AutoLatch though, admittedly haven't used that one much.

Here's fun: if you have Robotic Bean's Elementary or Chronologists Truth (my preference) you can take these patches and do bitwise operations on your beats :geek:
akeia wrote:
19 Oct 2021
This is very useful. I would like to suggest to name the patches in binary format. At least my brain can better understand how the rhythm will be structured.
Glad you like them! I personally prefer having them named based on their decimal representation so I can understand the relationship between patches if I do any arithmetic CV processing on them, BUT, if you're on a Mac and comfortable using terminal; here's a command you can run to auto-rename all of them:

(cd to the directory where you have the actual patches, i.e. "cd /Users/yourname/Documents/euclid_prime/concatenate/odious/iso/", for example, or wherever)

Code: Select all

cd /folder/subfolder-with-patches/
Make sure these patches are the ONLY thing in this folder - you may want to make a backup copy of the folder altogether, just in case.

Code: Select all

ls | while read filename; do decname=`echo $filename | awk -F"." '{print $1}'`; binname=`echo "obase=2;$decname" | bc`; mv ./$filename ./$decname.repatch; done
If it doesn't work there may be certain commands you're missing (probably bc AKA basic calculator) that you can install with brew install bc I think, or it may be included with GNU tools.

EDIT: Another reason I didn't do this is because naming them after their binary representations would make a fair few of the names pretty obnoxiously long. For each digit you gain counting in binary, you have twice as many numbers subsequently with that number of digits, i.e. twice as many numbers have 16-digit binary representations as have 1-15-digit binary representations combined. which means half the files are going to have names as long as "1111111111110001.repatch". (65521).
industrial/psycore/breakcore/electronic modular metal: https://soundcloud.com/rose-red-flechette

akeia

20 Oct 2021

Good arguments against renaming. I will go the renaming route with your shell command and then use both versions (in different dirs) to see what works best for me.

huggermugger

20 Oct 2021

These are for Euclid, right? Not for Euclidean Rhythms, the Player? Or maybe they work in both? In any case, I own Euclid, the non-player, and I love it. Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 8.30.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 8.30.43 AM.png (127.25 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

akeia

20 Oct 2021

I hacked together a quick ruby script that recursively renames all files "number.repatch" to "number_binarynumber.repatch". Attached .txt needs to be renamed rename2binary.rb and set executable. Ruby needs to be installed. All repatch files in all subdirectories get renamed.
rename2binary.txt
(306 Bytes) Downloaded 88 times

syzygianrrf9999

20 Oct 2021

huggermugger wrote:
20 Oct 2021
These are for Euclid, right? Not for Euclidean Rhythms, the Player? Or maybe they work in both? In any case, I own Euclid, the non-player, and I love it. Thanks!
Awesome! Yeah they're for Euclid. I personally can't stand players. A bunch of the ones that I would love have only CV out, no CV in, and some have no CV on the back at all (!?!?!?). If you're like me shoe-horning a device like that into your workflow is a pain.. :thumbs_down: :x :thumbs_down: :x :thumbs_down:
akeia wrote:
20 Oct 2021
I hacked together a quick ruby script that recursively renames all files "number.repatch" to "number_binarynumber.repatch". Attached .txt needs to be renamed rename2binary.rb and set executable. Ruby needs to be installed. All repatch files in all subdirectories get renamed.
eucsedforce.txt
(837 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times
Nice, you totally didn't need my help lol (I can /bin/bash all day but when it comes to other programming languages I'm helpless). I literally made all these patches with bash for/while loops and gnu sed xD

On that note, here's the very janky script I used to do all these:
eucsedforce.txt
(837 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times

huggermugger

20 Oct 2021

syzygianrrf9999 wrote:
20 Oct 2021
huggermugger wrote:
20 Oct 2021
Awesome! Yeah they're for Euclid. I personally can't stand players. A bunch of the ones that I would love have only CV out, no CV in, and some have no CV on the back at all (!?!?!?). If you're like me shoe-horning a device like that into your workflow is a pain.. :thumbs_down: :x :thumbs_down: :x :thumbs_down:

I wish Euclid had the polyphonic option that Euclidean Rhythms has. But other than that, I bought Euclid specifically for all that super connectivity on the back. And it seems to have more options on the front too.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 9.19.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 9.19.53 AM.png (175.02 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

challism

24 Oct 2021

syzygianrrf9999 wrote:
19 Oct 2021
challism wrote:
19 Oct 2021

Thanks! I had no idea Euclid was underrated, my mind is a bit blown; its by far my most used sequencer. I probably over-use it lol. The flexibility of the invert/toggle/inverse toggle/mute/reset outputs is a truly endless rabbit hole. I'll have to revisit AutoLatch though, admittedly haven't used that one much.

Here's fun: if you have Robotic Bean's Elementary or Chronologists Truth (my preference) you can take these patches and do bitwise operations on your beats :geek:
So sorry.... I was confusing Euclid (CV unit) and Euclidean (Player). I was talking about Euclidean being underrated. I think many users are put off by the price. I've read a lot of comments over the years saying it's overpriced for that it does. And for that reason, I think many users have overlooked it and maybe not even trialed it. It's not until they actually try it when most users realize just how useful it is (Euclidean and AutoLatch both!).

I don't feel Euclid is underrated, though. It was one of the earlier REs to hit the shop; a first generation RE and one of my first purchases... maybe my 4th or 5th RE. I find that it may be loved but forgotten by many users. One of my favorite things to do with it is EVERYTHING! ha ha ha

I sure do love Robotic Bean. I hope they are cooking something new up for us.

huggermugger wrote:
20 Oct 2021

I wish Euclid had the polyphonic option that Euclidean Rhythms has. But other than that, I bought Euclid specifically for all that super connectivity on the back. And it seems to have more options on the front too.
Yeah, Euclid is way deeper than Euclidean. Robotic Bean wanted Euclidean to be simpler. And I agree, it is unfortunate that Euclid isn't polyphonic. But I am grateful that it's at least monophonic. As a rhythmic gate type CV device, we are lucky RBean decided to give it any note output (adjustable and keyboard following, at that!).

huggermugger

24 Oct 2021

challism wrote:
24 Oct 2021

Yeah, Euclid is way deeper than Euclidean. Robotic Bean wanted Euclidean to be simpler. And I agree, it is unfortunate that Euclid isn't polyphonic. But I am grateful that it's at least monophonic. As a rhythmic gate type CV device, we are lucky RBean decided to give it any note output (adjustable and keyboard following, at that!).
It pairs nicely with Step, another Robotic Bean goodie.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.00.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.00.59 AM.png (681.99 KiB) Viewed 1261 times

DaveyG

24 Oct 2021

You can stick several Euclids into a single (free) CV Player Tap and treat the whole lot as a polyphonic player. I'm not sure how similar you could make it to the Euclidian player though.

huggermugger

24 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
24 Oct 2021
You can stick several Euclids into a single (free) CV Player Tap and treat the whole lot as a polyphonic player. I'm not sure how similar you could make it to the Euclidian player though.
Cool idea. One fun aspect of doing it this way, as opposed to the Player, is that you can have different Euclidean patterns for each note in the chord.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.39.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.39.32 AM.png (441.81 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

huggermugger

24 Oct 2021

A combination of Euclid and Sequences comes close to Euclidean Rhythms Player, thanks to Sequences TRIG IN.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 10.24.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 10.24.52 AM.png (291.31 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 10.22.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 10.22.31 AM.png (607.52 KiB) Viewed 1234 times

challism

24 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
24 Oct 2021
Here's a patch I made a couple of years ago, in an attempt to reproduce Euclidean. It's not quite there, but it's decent and I like the added features it offers (over Euclidean player). I think I will revisit this patch now that we have Combi2. I ran out of controllers with the original Combi. I could build this into some super crazy player now that we have Combi2.
This one needs manual routing to the instrument
Euclibean Homebrew-CM.zip
(21.07 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
This one is just drag n drop (view Combi devices and drop instrument onto ID8)
Euclibean Dragndrop-CM.zip
(21.38 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
huggermugger wrote:
Nice one there with Sequences. I'm going to have to try that.
syzygianrrf9999 wrote:
akeia wrote:

arnigretar

25 Oct 2021

This is great. Thanks syzygianrrf9999 - one of my fav rack devices just got better :) Euclid is great!!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

• Information