Polymoog Vox Humana (Thor)

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
utdgrant

21 Feb 2021

I've been using a NN-19 multi-sample of a genuine Polymoog Keyboard for years to get that classic Gary Numan 'Vox Humana' sound.

I recently bought the Cherry Audio 'Polymode' plug-in, which fully recreates the Polymoog (and adds quite a few bonus extras). Using Polymode as a guide, I translated the Vox Humana preset into a Combinator patch, using two parallel instances of Thor. I used two Thors because the original sound requires three independent LFOs operating at different rates (2 x pitch mod, 1 x PWM).

I've uploaded a video to YouTube with examples of the three different approaches. I think they're all pretty magical in their own way.
Attachments
PolymoogVoxHumana.zip
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 12, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

Heater

21 Feb 2021

Sounds pretty close to me. Well done.

chaosroyale

21 Feb 2021

Nicely done. The Cherry Audio sounds thinner and brighter than your patches, but I wonder how an actual hardware Polymoog, not a multi-sample, would compare. All sound good and would be very usable.
utdgrant wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I've been using a NN-19 multi-sample of a genuine Polymoog Keyboard for years to get that classic Gary Numan 'Vox Humana' sound.

I recently bought the Cherry Audio 'Polymode' plug-in, which fully recreates the Polymoog (and adds quite a few bonus extras). Using Polymode as a guide, I translated the Vox Humana preset into a Combinator patch, using two parallel instances of Thor. I used two Thors because the original sound requires three independent LFOs operating at different rates (2 x pitch mod, 1 x PWM).

I've uploaded a video to YouTube with examples of the three different approaches. I think they're all pretty magical in their own way.

matthewwood

15 Feb 2022

Great sounds! My Vox Humana patch is missing from the NN19 library, which I don't understand. I remember it being there a fair while back.
I have the Cherry audio VST as well so all is not lost :)

Trefor

17 Feb 2022

Checked out the video. You did a great job of recreating the sound with Thor. Nice work.

Heater

17 Feb 2022

I think the Thor recreation sounds closer than the Cherry one. Well done.

huggermugger

17 Feb 2022

The Thor version releases too slowly, compared to the samples and the Cherry version; there's too much overlap between notes. Too slow release or maybe too much reverb. I agree that the Cherry version is a lighter sound than the original Polymoog samples, but it's impossible to know what the sampling process added to the sound. Personally, as a fan of modelling synthesis, I'm impressed by Cherry. That said, your Thor version is excellent!

vcovcfvca

09 Mar 2024

Cool! Very well done

Worker 13

09 Mar 2024

Nice patch!

• Information