Reselling unused refills. Just curious.

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

I’m not thinking of doing it but I’m curious. Say I’ve bought a refill from a “designer” and I then decide I’m not really that into it. What’s the deal with reselling it? Like only once...and promising not to use it myself any more. :):):).
You sometimes see folk selling boxed Props refills on eBay or whatever. But if you’ve downloaded digitally? Anybody know? Just to be 100% clear...I’m talking hypothetically about a refill I’ve paid money for, decided I’m not going to ever use sell and the delete from my hard drive.
I think I may have asked this a long time ago but couldn’t find the thread.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Probably better to cut your losses,

If you purchased from RS then they would always be available to you but not who you resold to and that's going to cause you hassle.

Most of the licenses include non resale clauses etc..

Probably better to just keep it on a backup, maybe one day you might like / use it....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Probably better to cut your losses,

If you purchased from RS then they would always be available to you but not who you resold to and that's going to cause you hassle.

Most of the licenses include non resale clauses etc..

Probably better to just keep it on a backup, maybe one day you might like / use it....
It was a hypothetical question. I’m not thinking of actually doing it. To be perfectly honest I couldn’t be bothered even if I was wanting to do it. I was more just interested the ins and outs and dos and donts and the legalities and all that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Never suggested you was, totally saw the hypothetical and was covering the in's & out's.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Never suggested you was, totally saw the hypothetical and was covering the in's & out's.
Ok. :thumbs_up:
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Just curious what refills & why don't you like them?

joeyluck

23 Jan 2021

Yeah it simply comes down to terms. So if it states in the terms it can be resold, then you can. If not, you can't. If you can't find the terms, that would be an assumed no on resale. If you are looking for blanket terms, those would be something like 'no resale unless otherwise specified'.

Similar concept for free ReFills. There are some people under the impression that a free ReFill can be redistributed freely and that of course is not the case (something we have to deal with here on ReasonTalk). There is no blanket terms saying that a free ReFill is free to share or that a discontinued ReFill is free to share. You always have to reference the terms. And if no terms are available—you have to assume it's a no on sharing and selling, etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Just curious what refills & why don't you like them?
No refills. It’s hypothetical. I don’t want to sell any refills. That’s what I said hahahaha. You said you saw the “hypothetical” bit. I thought you got that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Yeah it simply comes down to terms. So if it states in the terms it can be resold, then you can. If not, you can't. If you can't find the terms, that would be an assumed no on resale. If you are looking for blanket terms, those would be something like 'no resale unless otherwise specified'.
Yeah. That sounds about right. It’s just not often I’ve seen anything saying “not for resale” so I got to wondering.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Oh I thought the hypothetical part was the selling, however I did assume you had refills you did not like.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Oh I thought the hypothetical part was the selling, however I did assume you had refills you did not like.
Oh I do. Loads of them. I’ve got them them on a hard drive. ;)

Maybe it would have been easier if I’d said “one” instead of “I”.
Hypothetically, if one had a refill which one didn’t use etc.
Last edited by MrFigg on 23 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Technically even sharing demo content can be against the license even though it's free to download your not supposed to share the actual files with others, you're supposed to share the link to the download.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

I’ve seen stuff like this:
“ Due to these being digital downloads, all purchases are final. Returns and exchanges will not be accepted.”
Nothing about selling them on though.

I actually need to take a look at some of the stuff I’ve bought over the years. Refills quite often come with a .pdf which I’m guessing outlines the policies on resale.

Also, never seen it mentioned how many computers you’re allowed to use a refill on the way you see with Plugins.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

Not always, sometimes the harshest terms and conditions are part of the sites T&C's

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Not always, sometimes the harshest terms and conditions are part of the sites T&C's
True, and as a good consumer I usually sit and read through the 23 pages of legal jargon. I do think it’s generally worth the 2 or 3 hours invested. Safest way eh? ;).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

23 Jan 2021

:lol:

Well save your self some time and just assume you should treat it like PPE :o

Buy for your own personal use, never resell or reuse someone else's :thumbs_up:

esselfortium

23 Jan 2021

There's no copy protection on ReFills, so there would be nothing stopping you from keeping your copy after selling it. I probably don't need to go into the problems with that for ReFill creators...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2021

esselfortium wrote:
23 Jan 2021
There's no copy protection on ReFills, so there would be nothing stopping you from keeping your copy after selling it. I probably don't need to go into the problems with that for ReFill creators...
That is indeed one of the problems.
Just got to hope that the people buying the refills are conscientious enough not to burn the seller.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information