Making a refill from an NN-XT sampler patch?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
stxlm

26 Jun 2019

The refill packer manual simply states:

"Place all the files you wish to include in the ReFill inside the “My new ReFill” folder.
It is a good idea to organize the files in subfolders according to the category the files belong to, i.e place Subtractor patches in one subfolder, all samples in another etc., and give these subfolders appropriate names."

That's not very helpful. I have the samples for the patch in a Samples folder in the refill folder. But my NN-XT patch references the files in their original location, and I get an error when I try to pack the refill. I don't get how to point the patch to the refill folder samples short of moving/ deleting the original files. Not going to do that. It can't be how it's supposed to work.

Given how many sample based refills there are out there, this must be so easy to do.

But why oh why is it treated like some secret knowledge? Why no stickied guide at the top of this subforum?

I've tried google, and can't find a relevant guide. The top linked video tutorialist doesn't even remember to include the samples, the fool makes a refill that can only be used on his own computer.

I'm tired and upset. I'll go have some hot chocolate, meanwhile - If you know, please do tell!

WongoTheSane

26 Jun 2019

Move the original samples in that Samples folder, reload the patch, it will ask you to relocate the samples, point it to the Samples folder, and re-save your patch inside your Refill folder. I agree it's a hassle the first time, but once you've gone through it, you don't make the same mistake twice and set up your folders correctly the second time around.

stxlm

27 Jun 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
26 Jun 2019
Move the original samples in that Samples folder, reload the patch, it will ask you to relocate the samples, point it to the Samples folder, and re-save your patch inside your Refill folder. I agree it's a hassle the first time, but once you've gone through it, you don't make the same mistake twice and set up your folders correctly the second time around.
Thanks for confirming! That was the only way I found, too.
Kudos to commercial refill producers for putting up with such a bizarre workflow.

I'm hesitant to mess about with the sample folder structure I've been building for twenty years.

I realise that the only way to do it without messing with one's original sample library is to break the connection/access for Reason to that library when compiling a refill. I guess I would handle it by having a separate external drive for refill projects, and do the compiling on a separate computer.

bitley

16 Jul 2019

I've tried to tell people that it's hard work but nobody ever listens.

• Information