Policy on reselling/ gifting purchased refills

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
MrFigg
Posts: 1873
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2019

Just got to thinking. What’s the policy on selling or giving away refills you’ve purchased that you don’t like, use or want any more? I’ve got a whole load of refills which I’ve bought legitimately from a developer which I know I will never have any use for because in my opinion they’re total rubbish. I won’t mention any names but you may have read my comments and opinions on this developer’s products in other threads (oops! Did I say too much?)
Anyway...there’s nothing to do. I’m not going to sell them off. I just wondered though where a consumer stands when it comes to this. You’ve bought the product. There’s no registration. Can you sell them or pass them on? I’ve seen Props boxed refills for sale for example but downloaded stuff without a box? Anyone know?

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 648
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 08 May 2019

The license agreement of each of the Refills might be able to answer this. I think, most of the time reselling the Refill is prohibited.

Also I would not buy purely digital wares if it is not an official reseller and unless I got some proof of ownership (like an invoice). That's because the burden of proof that you're legally using a Refill or plugin is on you in case somebody might sue you for copyright infringement.
Last edited by jam-s on 08 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace.

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 452
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 08 May 2019

There is usually a text document that comes with the package where such things are discussed. That, or whatever you accepted via checkbox before purchasing.
Reason 10 :reason: Teenage Engineering PO-33 :reason: M-Audio Venom

MrFigg
Posts: 1873
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2019

diminished wrote:
08 May 2019
There is usually a text document that comes with the package where such things are discussed. That, or whatever you accepted via checkbox before purchasing.
Ok. I’ve never noticed. I’ll take a look. Thanks.
Let’s say there’s not though...what then? :)

MrFigg
Posts: 1873
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 08 May 2019

jam-s wrote:
08 May 2019
The license agreement of each of the Refills might be able to answer this. I think, most of the time reselling the Refill is prohibited.

Also I would not buy purely digital wares if it is not an official reseller and unless I got some proof of ownership (like an invoice). That's because the burden of proof that you're legally using a Refill or plugin is on you in case somebody might sue you for copyright infringement.
I’ve bought direct from this particular developer on his website. The only thing I can find states is “refunds/ exchanges will not be accepted. “

sleep1979
Posts: 654
Joined: 20 Jul 2017

Post 08 May 2019

I remember luftrum would allow reselling of his old refill collection i think i dont think many do , i think its ridiculous realy because lets face it we could all quite easily go download all this stuff illegaly apart from reason or rack extensions, but we dont we pay , i managed to get a refund from props on that adam fieding europa refill that i bought from there store , maybe contact the dev ps don't tell him there shit 😂 think i know who your on about

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 188
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 09 May 2019

Sod the licence. If you are not going to use them then give them to someone who will.

(But not to me. I've stopped collecting Refills).

MrFigg
Posts: 1873
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2019

boingy wrote:
09 May 2019
Sod the licence. If you are not going to use them then give them to someone who will.

(But not to me. I've stopped collecting Refills).
You know what. I wouldn’t want to inflict these refills on anybody so I just deleted them this morning to recover some space on my hard drive. And I don’t even NEED to recover space on my hard drive.
Good on you for breaking the Refill collecting addiction by the way.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 429
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 09 May 2019

Well, there is actually some value in reviewing refills. Just as many YouTubers and forum members do quite often (also here). But I always suggest to do it in a professional way and be specific about what was good or not good. All the music mags do it too, but they probably have to be a bit more cautious since the rely on ad revenue.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 188
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 09 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
09 May 2019
Good on you for breaking the Refill collecting addiction by the way.
Refills just annoy me these days. It's fine when you have just a few but when you have lots the inability to rearrange the patches inside them becomes an issue.

MrFigg
Posts: 1873
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
09 May 2019
Well, there is actually some value in reviewing refills. Just as many YouTubers and forum members do quite often (also here). But I always suggest to do it in a professional way and be specific about what was good or not good. All the music mags do it too, but they probably have to be a bit more cautious since the rely on ad revenue.
I guess so. I wouldn't, however, generate enough revenue to replace the money I laid out though.
My review would probably go something like this:
"This developer churns out Refills at, what feels like, the rate of around 100 a week. Every sound in every one of the refills, for the most of it, sounds exactly the same as the one before. Imagine starting with one bell sound and then turning one of the parameters up by an increment of 0.2, saving the patch and then repeating the process indefinitely and you'll be somewhere in the realms of what I'm talking about. If you must try them then buy only one of the thousands in the regular, almost daily sales, and you'll be set. As an aside, this developer's Rack Extensions deliver only the opportunity to create variations of those same sounds. These Refills have disappointed this reviewer despite repeated attempts to find something remotely useful. That said, this is only my personal opinion and you may find something to enrich your productions. I conclude by wishing you good luck in your quest."

Again...not mentioning any names. :)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests