Hurdy Gurdy

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
mashers

20 Apr 2019

Hi all,

I’m looking for a Hurdy Gurdy sound. I’m happy to use a combi patch, a rack extension, a sample pack or a VST. I’m running Reason 10 on a Mac.

Thanks in advance!

boingy

20 Apr 2019

Here ya go. Sounds bloody awful to me but that may be the instrument rather than the recording!

https://www.michaelrasbury.org/reason.htm

WongoTheSane

20 Apr 2019

Search "Hurdy Gurdy Kontakt", there are several there too.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

Check out the Hurdy Gurdy in the World Booster Pack refill bundle (Scandinavian roots vol.1).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

20 Apr 2019

Thank you guys, I'll check those out today :)

mashers

20 Apr 2019

I ended up buying the World Booster Pack, as it contains a lot of other sounds which will be useful for this project. The gurdy in the Scandinavian Roots refill sounds lovely, especially with a bit of unison to fatten it up a bit. Thanks for the recommendation :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I ended up buying the World Booster Pack, as it contains a lot of other sounds which will be useful for this project. The gurdy in the Scandinavian Roots refill sounds lovely, especially with a bit of unison to fatten it up a bit. Thanks for the recommendation :)
That Scandinavian Refill is magic. Loads of cool instruments. Even loops of the footsteps of people dancing on the floors of barns. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

20 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
That Scandinavian Refill is magic. Loads of cool instruments. Even loops of the footsteps of people dancing on the floors of barns. :)
I've been playing with the instruments and they really are wonderful. So many interesting and useful sounds which are so primitive yet so beautiful. It's a goldmine to be honest.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
20 Apr 2019
MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
I've been playing with the instruments and they really are wonderful. So many interesting and useful sounds which are so primitive yet so beautiful. It's a goldmine to be honest.
Have a look and listen to the nyckelharpa (key harp) sounds. It’s like a violin with sympathetic drone strings which you play with a short bow and press keys to select the notes. I got a real one and they are awesome.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

20 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Apr 2019
Have a look and listen to the nyckelharpa (key harp) sounds. It’s like a violin with sympathetic drone strings which you play with a short bow and press keys to select the notes. I got a real one and they are awesome.
What a strange instrument! I'll have to read up on its invention relative to other string instruments. Very interesting indeed. I think it's a bit too modern for what I'm working on. Even the gurdy is a stretch, as I'm trying to include only instruments which would have been available to an ancient civilisation. That means things made mainly of wood and skin. I'm telling the story of a fictional civilisation, so it's plausible that they could have both, but I'm trying to be as consistent as possible. Having said that I've just put in a huge detuned sawtooth lead for a few bars and it sounds amazing, so I might have to break my own rules :lol:

• Information