8Z Free and 8Z Pro - Discover all the Yamaha FM Synths - All for PX7!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 28 Jan 2019

Image

8Z Free and 8Z Pro are my brand new refill creations, including thousands of classic sounds and a full range of sophisticated new PX7 and Combinator patches. The range of original Yamaha instrument patches includes DX7, DX9, TX81Z, TX816, DX5 and much more. This is a complete journey back into the FM years — and also a journey into new futuristic FM creations with stereo and tempo synchronised experimental sounds, including the first sound set I ever released — for the TX81Z. Please read more about it here.

Direct links:

DOWNLOAD 8Z FREE

Content in 8Z Free: All original preset patch banks for DX5, DX7, DX9, TX81Z and TX81Z as well as an assortment of over 23,000 public domain patches categorised into Bass, Effects, Keyboard Instruments, Mallet, Percussion, Plucked, Reeds & Flutes, Strings, Synthesizers, Voices. Additionally there are 21 FX patches and 54 Combinator patches.

ORDER 8Z PRO - $69

Content in 8Z pro: 145 original PX7 patches, 90 original TX81Z patches, 16 Combinator patches for WBF R2 users, 105 advanced Combinator patches including all TX816 preset settings, page R sequencer templates, Player and FX programs, RE extra patches for Aurora, Ivoks, Mono/Poly, Polysix, Predator, Radical Piano, ReDominator and Revival, multisampled synthesizers including original DX7 samples, drum machines sorted into BD, SD, HH / perc, cowbells, cymbals, loops, other and toms, congas & bongos. There are an assortment of Fairlight CMI samples taken from WBF R2X and also extra patches for Malström, NNXT, Subtractor and Thor.

Bonus for all: Here's a free combi EP if you just want to check out one single patch. This one is using a few samples from the FSB. You are most welcome to edit this patch however you want and share the result of your programming in the thread. If your patch feels nice to play I will add it to 8Z Pro and create a folder for signature patches, with full credits to you of course.
Last edited by bitley on 21 Feb 2019, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 28 Jan 2019

So, $69 eh?

Interesting - but first a few questions that I would appreciate being addressed clearly and specifically, if you don't mind.

1. The 22,000 unique PX7 patches - I'm guessing you didn't create these from scratch and that you took patches that are widely available on the net and "tweaked" them?

2. You individually tweaked ALL 22,000?

3. And where you say the "WBF 8Z comes with brand new PX7 patches" and described how you went through the classic banks and made variations - again, so you're saying you took patches I already have and tweaked them, thus making them "new"?

4. So what is essentially NEW new (as in, never having existed before in any form whatsoever) are the "70 Combinator patches and about 80 new PX7 patches". Is this correct?

Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

MrFigg
Posts: 2131
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Jan 2019

hurricane wrote:
28 Jan 2019
So, $69 eh?

Interesting - but first a few questions that I would appreciate being addressed clearly and specifically, if you don't mind.

1. The 22,000 unique PX7 patches - I'm guessing you didn't create these from scratch and that you took patches that are widely available on the net and "tweaked" them?

2. You individually tweaked ALL 22,000?

3. And where you say the "WBF 8Z comes with brand new PX7 patches" and described how you went through the classic banks and made variations - again, so you're saying you took patches I already have and tweaked them, thus making them "new"?

4. So what is essentially NEW new (as in, never having existed before in any form whatsoever) are the "70 Combinator patches and about 80 new PX7 patches". Is this correct?

Thanks.
I’d actually be interested in hearing the answers to the above questions also as they are probably going to influence whether I go ahead and buy PX7 or not. Thanks.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

I must ask you to please have confidence in my work. :-) This library has taken hundreds of hours to build, and it is awesome indeed. Will try to find time for your questions later.

MrFigg
Posts: 2131
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
29 Jan 2019
I must ask you to please have confidence in my work. :-) This library has taken hundreds of hours to build, and it is awesome indeed. Will try to find time for your questions later.
Well, you know I already do have confidence in your refills. I’ve said it plenty of times on this forum. Thing is this is potentially going to cost me €168 so I need to be sure about it. I’m sure you can understand that. Guessing Hurricane is maybe thinking the same. Anyhow, thanks in advance for any answers whenever you get the time :).

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Thing is this is potentially going to cost me €168 so I need to be sure about it. I’m sure you can understand that. Guessing Hurricane is maybe thinking the same.
Yup.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

You are free to decide & I felt there was an opportunity to design a great soundbank so that's what I did. As I say on the page, start with my free refill first and if you want much more of that, this will be excellent.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

Info & discussion regarding the free refill (that inspired me to do this extremely large one) here;

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7510163

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 Jan 2019

You didn't answer my questions. And my questions weren't answered in the other topic you linked to. For $25, I wouldn't care about the answers. For $69, I want to know.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

MrFigg
Posts: 2131
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
29 Jan 2019
You are free to decide
Yeah Patrick I know. I think the support I have given your refills over the years show that I appreciate your work. You not giving any answer to the questions posed by Hurricane regarding the product do however influence that decision. Speaking for myself, I was only asking as a consumer for clarification on the points raised seeing as it going to be a sizable amount of money for me to lay out. I can’t speak for Hurricane’s motivation of course. So yes...it’s up to me to decide. I guess that’s just the way it’s going to be. Thanks anyway.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 Jan 2019

I purchased Bitley's refills before and FM synthesis is my favorite. I just want to know what I'm buying.

EDIT: BEFORE i buy it. 😬
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

MrFigg
Posts: 2131
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Jan 2019

hurricane wrote:
29 Jan 2019
I purchased Bitley's refills before and FM synthesis is my favorite. I just want to know what I'm buying.

EDIT: BEFORE i buy it. 😬
Pretty much the same here actually.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

- out of date - changes have been made, please see the first post
Last edited by bitley on 18 Feb 2019, edited 3 times in total.

MrFigg
Posts: 2131
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 29 Jan 2019

Thanks :)

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

- out of date - changes have been made, please see the first post
Last edited by bitley on 18 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 Jan 2019

Well, I'm thinking at a more basic level and seeing that 99% of the patches in this collection I already have, so I'm not willing to pay $69 for the 'new" content - which apparently is the 96 '90's 'patches, and the 70 combinators+80 raw PX7 patches (which i am guessing you popped into combinators, so those 70 combis are effected versions of the dry 80 PX7 patches). And not saying hand-picking 22,000 dx patches was easy, but I already have my own hand-picked collection of DX patches, and having done that I know there is a lot of overlap, lots of duplicates, many many sound-alikes. So I was looking for more unique things in this collection. But that's just me.

Thanks for the info and good luck!
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

Thank you.

Well 99% of the focus is and should be the new content - and the rest was added to solve a huge problem.

Btw there's very seldom anything "80s" or "90s" regarding a single sound. DX7 E bass and tines, yes those are pretty dated but it always comes down to how a sound is used. Is an electric guitar a typical 50s / 60s sound? No. It comes down to the full arrangement. Processing, placement etc.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 29 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
29 Jan 2019
Btw there's very seldom anything "80s" or "90s" regarding a single sound. DX7 E bass and tines, yes those are pretty dated but it always comes down to how a sound is used. Is an electric guitar a typical 50s / 60s sound? No. It comes down to the full arrangement. Processing, placement etc.
Yeah i know - I was just referring to the patches from the banks you made in the early 90s. Didn't know how else to identify them. Didn't mean they were 90s patches - just that you said you made them in the 90s.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

On the TX81Z ;-) Insane, but it was fun.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 29 Jan 2019

hurricane wrote:
29 Jan 2019
which i am guessing you popped into combinators, so those 70 combis are effected versions of the dry 80 PX7 patches
Certainly not. That's oversimplifying something you've not tested! :-) There are complete renditions of the TX816 presets built on 8 simultaneous DX7 engines. And more.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 30 Jan 2019

This is just one of the combinators


User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 31 Jan 2019

Clearly not many Reason / PX7 users? You are missing out on a great setup. The PX7 is by far the best rack extension.

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 31 Jan 2019

I've decided to divide this into one free refill and one "pro" version / suggestions welcome / exlusively from myself not to confuse things.

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 743
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 31 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Clearly not many Reason / PX7 users? You are missing out on a great setup. The PX7 is by far the best rack extension.
I don't know man - refills have to really hit the mark nowadays, particularly if you are going to charge RE prices for them. I don't know about other people, but this is why I'm not buying it:

4. So what is essentially NEW new (as in, never having existed before in any form whatsoever) are the "70 Combinator patches and about 80 new PX7 patches". Is this correct?

Yes, correct — and that you are getting all DX9 and TX81Z banks including the three banks I programmed in the early 90's. So that's 96 additional patches made by me.


Personally speaking, $69 for THAT is way too much, IMO. So I'm going to take my $69 and $30 extra and buy UVI's FM Suite because you get way more, it's a plugin (which I can also use in Logic), it has a fantastic looking GUI, it seems to cover all the FM bases, and it sounds great.

And with all due respect, this is the first time I've looked at a refill and thought "refills are really starting to feel outdated". Maybe it's time for a Bitley evolution...
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | Tascam 414 mkII Portastudio | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

User avatar
bitley
Posts: 1105
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden

Post 01 Feb 2019

I'm busy w family over the weekend but will repackage everything in a sexier way.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests