How to change to a newer refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
bitley

23 Aug 2018

This was a sub discussion / bug complaint of sorts (here).

I had refills named Fairlight II, Fairlight XXL and then Fairlight Platinum. It was always easy to update your song file to work with the newer refill.

Here's a PDF I made describing the needed steps.

This worked perfectly with Reason 4 and 5. It's possible you might need to use an older Reason version if this functionality has gotten "lost in translation" during the large moves Propellerhead have taken to the current versions. If so just open the song file in Reason 5 for instance, fix it according to the PDF and resave the song.

Best / Patrick

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2018

Are all the sounds from Platinum included in WBFR2 and do they have the same names?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

23 Aug 2018

Yes, samples are only renamed if they are copied and altered, there have been very few cases where a sample was deleted or renamed, perhaps maximum five times, and that was for extensively long samples that I replaced with shorter but (not noticeable) looped versions. It was for a patch called JX10 Obese Fifths. Patch names can change though and that has happened a few times. For instance when I added "AIR" in front of all bass sounds, like AIR Lately Bass.cmb. So practically speaking all Fairlight refills are backwards compatible and works with old song files if they are updated according to this PDF. There was some changes in Reason (I am currently on 9.5.4) but I think I realized that Reason worked just the same way; the problem was that I had forgotten how to do it. :D

bitley

23 Aug 2018

bitley wrote:
23 Aug 2018
This worked perfectly with Reason 4 and 5.
(And Reason 6 as well, which I must have used when making the PDF since Platinum was for R6 and up - - - later on I have discovered though that WBF R2 works as far back as Reason 4 despite that it contains RE patches and lots of changed formats, I don't know how Propellerhead does it but Marcus is a true genius and it begins there.)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2018

Good. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

23 Aug 2018

With regards to just referring to my own work this works with any combination of refills as long as you know that Donut.wav (which you used a long time ago via OldFill.rfl) exists in NewFill.rfl - but funny things might happen if you point to another refill which happens to have the same sample names; Snare4.wav might be a completely different one in Drum & Bass Zwooperdisco.rfl compared to the one in Hip Hop LandsKAPeRz.rfl.

bitley

23 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Are all the sounds from Platinum included in WBFR2 and do they have the same names?
To be more specific:

If you used a patch named Dream Zezzonato Stringz in refill A...

this patch relies on a few samples.

So if the patch exists in refill B - but now renamed to Zession Stringz - the sounds will still be found by this method since the samples used are the same ones.

In other words sound names does not matter at all. The missing files dialog only cares about the samples.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Aug 2018

bitley wrote:
23 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
23 Aug 2018
To be more specific:

If you used a patch named Dream Zezzonato Stringz in refill A...

this patch relies on a few samples.

So if the patch exists in refill B - but now renamed to Zession Stringz - the sounds will still be found by this method since the samples used are the same ones.

In other words sound names does not matter at all. The missing files dialog only cares about the samples.
Got it! :). Thanks again :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

23 Aug 2018

I hope this helps, was a quite long thread with people misunderstanding how this search & replace function works.

Took me some time to figure it out as well but while working at Propellerhead I quickly understood that their way of thinking is on a much deeper level.

Basically: Everything in Reason has been designed and thought out in such a profound way; your only mission is to work with it and learn how to do it.

• Information