50% off Patchworx for Reason - are they good?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

Hi all. I asked Plugin Boutique to show some love for us Reason users the other day. Especially the Refills from Patchworx #40, 37, 31, and 24.
Today they emailed back and said they put all Patchworx on 50% off! :thumbs_up:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_pro ... th-Presets

Has anyone tried them out? Review?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

LarsK

28 Jun 2018

Their list- and deal prices are higher than on loopmasters.com - not much though.
https://www.loopmasters.com/genres/15-D ... ynths-Thor

jimmyklane

28 Jun 2018

Boombastix wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Hi all. I asked Plugin Boutique to show some love for us Reason users the other day. Especially the Refills from Patchworx #40, 37, 31, and 24.

When I go to the link you posted all I see are a bunch of presets for Massive and Serum. Is that what you’re talking about? Presets for VST synths? I didn’t see any refills there, but then again I didn’t search.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

tibah

28 Jun 2018

The numbers he mentioned are Reason specific e.g. #40 is for Thor.

I can't commend on them in any way. But my question would be: Why ask a reseller like PB for discounts if you have no idea about the content in them, respectively asking for reviews post the discount request. If unsure listen to demos (always a bit so so) or try to find if there is a demo pack. :)

Knowing if I want something and then ask/wait for a sale or discount always seems the better practice. Also releases the urge of "it's on sale I gotta decide quickly." ;)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2018

tibah wrote:
28 Jun 2018
The numbers he mentioned are Reason specific e.g. #40 is for Thor.

I can't commend on them in any way. But my question would be: Why ask a reseller like PB for discounts if you have no idea about the content in them, respectively asking for reviews post the discount request. If unsure listen to demos (always a bit so so) or try to find if there is a demo pack. :)

Knowing if I want something and then ask/wait for a sale or discount always seems the better practice. Also releases the urge of "it's on sale I gotta decide quickly." ;)
I actually asked for another thing (put them in as reward points), but they responded back to me with them going on sale. But I'm not complaining. ;)
Anyhow it goes on until July 15. Maybe my question was just a happy coincidence, who knows...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
28 Jun 2018
Boombastix wrote:
27 Jun 2018

When I go to the link you posted all I see are a bunch of presets for Massive and Serum. Is that what you’re talking about? Presets for VST synths? I didn’t see any refills there, but then again I didn’t search.
Yeah, they don't tell very clearly, but the Patchworx #40, 37, 31, and 24 are Reason specific Refills.

kitekrazy

29 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
28 Jun 2018
Boombastix wrote:
27 Jun 2018

I don't think 3rd party Reason synth presets are refills anymore just folders.

strangers
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2018

I bought these a little while back and rarely use them. One of them in particular is full blast on volume which can be a pain when you're auditioning patches within a song. Can't remember which one that is though. I'll look this weekend.

Any specific questions you might have on these? They're a bit dated but wouldn't rule them out depending what you're looking for.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2018

strangers wrote:
29 Jun 2018
I bought these a little while back and rarely use them. One of them in particular is full blast on volume which can be a pain when you're auditioning patches within a song. Can't remember which one that is though. I'll look this weekend.

Any specific questions you might have on these? They're a bit dated but wouldn't rule them out depending what you're looking for.
Hi, I am leaning towards the Deep House (#40) or the Electro House (#31). Maybe the Thor (#24). I'm a bit interested in the Midi files and if they can be useful in seeing/hearing how they intended to use some of the more unusual sound. A pad is pad, and an electric piano, well we all know how we play and use them. But some of the more odd synth sounds + the Midi files can maybe spark some new ideas. Other soundpacks with just patches, but no Midi files may not spark an interest unless you can imagine what the programmer was thinking about and how to use the patch. That is not always obvious. Since I have 1000's of patches I am not looking so much for the meat and potato patches, but like I said sounds that can spark new ideas and in conjunction with the Midi files (if they are of use). Also, if there are some unusual/interesting programming that I can take and use as ideas for more new sound exploration, both in terms of modulations or combinator setups. Thanks!

strangers
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2018

Boombastix wrote:
29 Jun 2018
Hi, I am leaning towards the Deep House (#40) or the Electro House (#31). Maybe the Thor (#24). I'm a bit interested in the Midi files and if they can be useful in seeing/hearing how they intended to use some of the more unusual sound. A pad is pad, and an electric piano, well we all know how we play and use them. But some of the more odd synth sounds + the Midi files can maybe spark some new ideas. Other soundpacks with just patches, but no Midi files may not spark an interest unless you can imagine what the programmer was thinking about and how to use the patch. That is not always obvious. Since I have 1000's of patches I am not looking so much for the meat and potato patches, but like I said sounds that can spark new ideas and in conjunction with the Midi files (if they are of use). Also, if there are some unusual/interesting programming that I can take and use as ideas for more new sound exploration, both in terms of modulations or combinator setups. Thanks!
That's a smart way of thinking about these refills. I honestly never even bothered checking out the midi files that came with it until reading this. I ran through a bunch of them just now since you got me curious. I feel stupid for not having checked out the midi earlier :lol: . A lot of the midi files include pitch and mod wheel automation which goes right along with what you were saying about diving into what the creator had in mind for the patches.

The refills are actually better than I remembered. Almost all of them are combinator patches. I especially like the Utkus refills since he makes really good use of the basic RE's. The three you're interested in are worth the low price tag. #24 are straight Thor patches without any combinators. Even with that being said, the patches are well crafted. #31 has some of my favorite combinator patches out of all the Patchworx refills.

Loopmasters must have had a crazy deal on these at some point. I didn't realize I have all of them. The only one I'm not particularly fond of is #33. They're well made just aren't patches I'd really ever use for the music I create but I guess you can never really say never.

Overall, they're worthwhile refills especially if you're interested in taking full advantage of stock devices and synths.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2018

strangers wrote:
30 Jun 2018
Boombastix wrote:
29 Jun 2018
That's a smart way of thinking about these refills. I honestly never even bothered checking out the midi files that came with it until reading this. I ran through a bunch of them just now since you got me curious. I feel stupid for not having checked out the midi earlier :lol: . A lot of the midi files include pitch and mod wheel automation which goes right along with what you were saying about diving into what the creator had in mind for the patches.

The refills are actually better than I remembered. Almost all of them are combinator patches. I especially like the Utkus refills since he makes really good use of the basic RE's. The three you're interested in are worth the low price tag. #24 are straight Thor patches without any combinators. Even with that being said, the patches are well crafted. #31 has some of my favorite combinator patches out of all the Patchworx refills.

Loopmasters must have had a crazy deal on these at some point. I didn't realize I have all of them. The only one I'm not particularly fond of is #33. They're well made just aren't patches I'd really ever use for the music I create but I guess you can never really say never.

Overall, they're worthwhile refills especially if you're interested in taking full advantage of stock devices and synths.
Thanks for checking, very nice of you!

• Information