Thinking about selling some of my patches

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Kalm

06 Jun 2018

Any advice would be much appreciated. I haven't done anything like this so I want to get feedback from users and makers.

Currently I make my synths as follows,

1. Create a sound on a synth device (RE or VST)
2. Throw it in a combinator and create macros
3. Get the sound out of the synth I want first then add effects in the combinator chain to emphasize. This may utilize stock effects and/or 3rd party RE's.
4. Fill up/change macros to suit the synth in a production. Save both instrument and combinator.
5. Create Native/Lite versions to cut CPU usage (due to RE CPU usage) and instrument being completely hosted by Reason for those without the extra RE's. Of course the sound will be different with these changes but hopefully not too far off.

So far I've been bundling sounds I've used in my productions. I was considering $5 for 20 fully fledged combo's. I even have a freshly designed Combinator backdrop for my stuff. Since Europa was released as a VST/AU instrument, I'll throw a patch I've designed for use from my website. I'll be making a combo for this too. Also, I uploaded a demo Subtractor patch of what a full Combi would look like. This patch is based off of the Decimort Bitcrusher plugin so you'll need that to really hear it.

Lysol Europa Patch - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk9bs8mp5c5ix ... D.cmb?dl=0
Subtractor Patch - https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8yules3g8c50 ... D.cmb?dl=0
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

nickb523
RE Developer

06 Jun 2018

Kalm wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I can open this one but not the other. Very nice Detroit Techno styled topline BTW.

It's a good patch, and the details are all in place (in particular the levelling is correct).

If you are aiming to do commercial stuff then it's probably best to stick to stock devices only... But that depends what you want to do really. Do you want to put out a proper bespoke ReFill that needs a bunch of third party stuff? - If that is the case then you are golden. :)

Regardless of the above. My verdict based on the single patch that i could open is - GOOD.

Nick :)

Kalm

06 Jun 2018

nickb523 wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Kalm wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I can open this one but not the other. Very nice Detroit Techno styled topline BTW.

It's a good patch, and the details are all in place (in particular the levelling is correct).

If you are aiming to do commercial stuff then it's probably best to stick to stock devices only... But that depends what you want to do really. Do you want to put out a proper bespoke ReFill that needs a bunch of third party stuff? - If that is the case then you are golden. :)

Regardless of the above. My verdict based on the single patch that i could open is - GOOD.

Nick :)
And that is the $1M dollar question. :mrgreen: I would like to make synths for 3rd Party and RE's. My only issue is the complexity that comes with something like Serum is not embedded into many REs. Also, it's easier to get a really good sound out of 3rd party effects rather than built in ones. Most of the sounds I've made were done so this way since they were my own projects and I'll be using less native ones. Also, there's a difference in plugins. There's nothing like PMS-20 or Decimort natively.

After typing this I guess I've answered my question. I guess my main concern was any copyright infringement from using 3rd party effects. Is there any concern there?

I also level everything with precision to -12 Average level. It's just how I work/mix in Reason
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

eusti

06 Jun 2018

Kalm wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I guess my main concern was any copyright infringement from using 3rd party effects. Is there any concern there?
Haven't checked the patches and am not a lawyer, so take this just as a common sense feedback:

In my understanding there shouldn't be a problem in regards to copyright infringement when using 3rd party FX REs.

But of course the more VSTs or REs the potential user needs to own use of your patches the smaller the potential group of buyers is going to be.

D.

nickb523
RE Developer

06 Jun 2018

Kalm wrote:
06 Jun 2018
After typing this I guess I've answered my question.
Get that shit done. ;)

Kalm

06 Jun 2018

eusti wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Kalm wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I guess my main concern was any copyright infringement from using 3rd party effects. Is there any concern there?
Haven't checked the patches and am not a lawyer, so take this just as a common sense feedback:

In my understanding there shouldn't be a problem in regards to copyright infringement when using 3rd party FX REs.

But of course the more VSTs or REs the potential user needs to own use of your patches the smaller the potential group of buyers is going to be.

D.
Which is also something that I've thought about as well. I've attempted at trying to make Native versions that only apply use of Reason native or FREE effects to go along with the combinators as a convenience.

• Information