No ReDrum2.0

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
groggy1

03 Jun 2018

It's interesting how things evolve in Reason.

I was thinking back just now about how I used to dream that ReDrum would get a better sequencer (like the Propulsion or the new Drum Sequencer Player). I had pictured that it would just be part of ReDrum.

But instead, it's so nice how we've arrived where we are now!
1) Kong was created (which there's more control over each pad)
2) Players were introduced as a concept
3) Drum Sequencer Player introduced - can be used on pretty much any instrument, including Kong

So Kong + Drum Sequencer Player is basically ReDrum2.0. Beautiful!

BRIGGS

03 Jun 2018

groggy1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018
It's interesting how things evolve in Reason.

I was thinking back just now about how I used to dream that ReDrum would get a better sequencer (like the Propulsion or the new Drum Sequencer Player). I had pictured that it would just be part of ReDrum.

But instead, it's so nice how we've arrived where we are now!
1) Kong was created (which there's more control over each pad)
2) Players were introduced as a concept
3) Drum Sequencer Player introduced - can be used on pretty much any instrument, including Kong

So Kong + Drum Sequencer Player is basically ReDrum2.0. Beautiful!
Yeah, I can see that, too!

Now, what to do, with this old redrum? :lol:
r11s

Mode7

30 Nov 2018

It's sad to see that Propellerhead doesn't intend to update Redrum.

In fact, every drum module has its own specific features and flaws.

For Instance, Kong lacks true separate outputs for each track that can be use as easily as Redrum ones. My worflow consist in EQing / saturating / RVBing every drum, then bussing them by genre (Kick, snares, toms, hats, percs), applying effects then make a Drum Bus.

That's why I personnaly keep working on Redrum.

Plus, neither Kong, Drum Sequencer or Redrum have a true pitch edit just like the piano roll that is featured in FL Studio.
And i don't understand why Drum Sequencer can only display 16 steps, with no possibility to change the step count within a sequence;

For most styles, those are perfect. But in order to program trap / cloud / modern hip hop beat, it's impossible to program sequences that includes triplets rolls, syncopations and pitch changes one one device..

On the other hand, using mutlple NNXT to do so does not fit to my actual workflow.

IMHO, there is still a room fort true improvements in Reason to make the perfect drum machine.

-008'

30 Nov 2018

Mode7 wrote:
30 Nov 2018
And i don't understand why Drum Sequencer can only display 16 steps, with no possibility to change the step count within a sequence;

For most styles, those are perfect. But in order to program trap / cloud / modern hip hop beat, it's impossible to program sequences that includes triplets rolls, syncopations and pitch changes one one device..
I agree with you about the pitch editing, and I use Reason for the same genres you listed. :thumbs_up: Concerning all the other stuff...

Are you using the "repeats" lane (under velocity) per-step, on the Drum Sequencer? That's got 1-8 repeats, flams, and 3/2, 3/4 notes etc, per step.

Also, to change a lane's 16 steps, I will just drag the "tabs" on the right that initially say "16" and get any number down to 1. (sorry if not what you meant)

For me, to get the most out of D.S., I try to consider my song's Tempo, and then the speed settings of individual lanes, and then the step repeats...you really can do a lot more than most of us realize at first glance. To be honest, once we're throwing all these maths and divisions around, I really can't figure it out. So I just keep on tweakin until it works. lol

Additionally, we can STACK Drum Sequencers! :shock: (down the rabbit hole we gooooooo!!!)

Now, at this point people usually say: "meh it's a static loop, I can't edit my 32 note hats, I can't edit velocity quickly, etc." BUT that is missing the most crucial part of the Drum Sequencer IMO which is to, eventually, SEND it to track, on the MAIN Reason sequencer. That's when i can edit the 8 bar loop to 16 with variations, explode lanes and take to different channels, and... make my pitch changes!

Sometimes for pitched stuff I like to have my NNXT Hat (or that 2nd "offbeat" snare!) with its own Drum Seq. to start with. This way you can handle some pitch stuff right away, and get a lot of different time/rhythm variation before even printing to the main seq. I'll often do a Drum Seq for my NNXT hat, one for my NNXT Snare, and then a 3rd one for a Kong to handle the non-pitch drums like Kick, main snare, clap, cymbal, etc. You get the idea.

All this might seem like a hindrance or an extra step to learn.. but in the end it's faster i think, and I am making beats quicker than I ever was before.

Apologies again if you knew all this stuff, I guess I'm only typing it out here for anyone that might not know! ...and to make myself sound smart. :ugeek:
Attachments
that way.png
that way.png (75.51 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

DiZo

30 Nov 2018

i like redrum its my main tool :)

i have leran music, with electribe and TR sequencer

i want a redrum 2 !

Kong is a good machine, but , for me, its a drum sound designer, an expandeur for redrum (before drum player)

drum player its really a cool tool, for rack extension drum machine and more, but for my workflow, the best is REDRUM!!!

Mode7

03 Dec 2018

-008' wrote:
30 Nov 2018
Mode7 wrote:
30 Nov 2018

I agree with you about the pitch editing, and I use Reason for the same genres you listed. :thumbs_up: Concerning all the other stuff...

Are you using the "repeats" lane (under velocity) per-step, on the Drum Sequencer? That's got 1-8 repeats, flams, and 3/2, 3/4 notes etc, per step.

Also, to change a lane's 16 steps, I will just drag the "tabs" on the right that initially say "16" and get any number down to 1. (sorry if not what you meant)

For me, to get the most out of D.S., I try to consider my song's Tempo, and then the speed settings of individual lanes, and then the step repeats...you really can do a lot more than most of us realize at first glance. To be honest, once we're throwing all these maths and divisions around, I really can't figure it out. So I just keep on tweakin until it works. lol

Additionally, we can STACK Drum Sequencers! :shock: (down the rabbit hole we gooooooo!!!)

Now, at this point people usually say: "meh it's a static loop, I can't edit my 32 note hats, I can't edit velocity quickly, etc." BUT that is missing the most crucial part of the Drum Sequencer IMO which is to, eventually, SEND it to track, on the MAIN Reason sequencer. That's when i can edit the 8 bar loop to 16 with variations, explode lanes and take to different channels, and... make my pitch changes!

Sometimes for pitched stuff I like to have my NNXT Hat (or that 2nd "offbeat" snare!) with its own Drum Seq. to start with. This way you can handle some pitch stuff right away, and get a lot of different time/rhythm variation before even printing to the main seq. I'll often do a Drum Seq for my NNXT hat, one for my NNXT Snare, and then a 3rd one for a Kong to handle the non-pitch drums like Kick, main snare, clap, cymbal, etc. You get the idea.

All this might seem like a hindrance or an extra step to learn.. but in the end it's faster i think, and I am making beats quicker than I ever was before.

Apologies again if you knew all this stuff, I guess I'm only typing it out here for anyone that might not know! ...and to make myself sound smart. :ugeek:

Don't you worry, I Got the general idea.

Your post gave me an other idea : I plug a drum sequencer into a Redrum.
Then I assigns multiples tracks inside for the same note, with differents step counts, shuffle and tempo. So i Can have my triplet track, my 4/4 track on the same screen on 2 lines. It doesn't solve the pitch problem, but it allows me to have a visual of the whole Hihhats section with syncopations and stuff.

Still lacks that damn pitch edit !

artmessiah

03 Dec 2018

In regards to changing drum pitches, you could use a Redrum and a single matrix to change the pitch on a drum within the matrix sequencer (Snares or Bassdrums changing pitch while playing) and then use the Redrum sequencer for the rest of the drums - Or you could just use multiple Matrix's on all the drum lanes in Redrum within a combinator for similar purposes. Wire Redrum gate to Matrix gate and redrum pitch to matrix note CV. The option to copy to track is there for the Matrix and Redrum :) Not sure if that's the result you were looking for... hopefully it helps a little.
1.jpg
1.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

artmessiah

03 Dec 2018

You can also automate pitch on the Redrum and on the Kong too (I think) never tried for Kong, but have plenty of times for Redrum for old school Mannie Fresh snare runs that change for low to high pitches.

Data_Shrine

04 Dec 2018

It took me a long time to warm up to Kong. Even so, the lack of individual outputs on some channels continues to baffle me (especially since the kick is always on Pad 1 in patches.. yet this can't be side-chained.. huh.)

I'm currently using Redrum to load (i.e. record) samples in my ES-1, it's magnificent ! Works like a charm.

Hazel

14 Dec 2018

I use both of them very frequently for different reasons, although my biggest mental separation of the two is that the Kong device does not have as easy of velocity manipulation. You can go through the trouble of programing the four different variations for velocity, but with the ReDrum, you can just write the piece and simply make a quick curve in the sequencer for velocity. The ReDrum works excellent for a snare rush, or to quickly adjust velocities of drum hits here and there for a realistic and different feel. The Kong does have many more features that can be accessed, however there are a lot of them that are not automatable. Unfortunate, as I enjoy automating the hell out of everything.

• Information