ACID for owners of VK-2 and Primal Audio filters.

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
EdGrip

29 May 2018

I never really connected with Primal Audio's Acid filter. It occurred to me that maybe I just need to bypass the envelope follower and modulate it with a synth's own envelope. Here's that experiment as a Combinator - I used VK-2 because I have been enjoying VK-2 lately and because it has curvy analogue EGs.

The "Chorus" button turns on VK-2's chorus effect and adds 2 unison oscillators.
There's a PMS-20 filter in there because if you've got Acid, you've got PMS-20, right? The Mod Wheel controls its HP cutoff.
Replace the Scream4 with your favourite distortion.

It's not ABL3 but it's still good fun, and I think it shows that maybe PA's Acid filter is just misunderstood.

TIP: Try grabbing the octave range knob of Osc 1 on VK-2 and just smashing it between "sync" and octaves at random. Laaaaaaarrrvely! :puf_smile:

EDIT: See newer post below for updated patch! viewtopic.php?p=395595#p395595
Last edited by EdGrip on 29 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

EdGrip

29 May 2018

I'll try and implement some kind of velocity-based Accent later. :)

Catblack

29 May 2018

EdGrip wrote:
29 May 2018
I'll try and implement some kind of velocity-based Accent later. :)
Great patch. I have those filters because they sound great but don't use them nearly enough.

Keep in mind you can use the curve out on a matrix in addition to note and gate.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

theshoemaker

29 May 2018

Yes, the primal audio filters are slick. I instabought ACID when it got released. Did a little experiment back then ...

:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

theshoemaker

29 May 2018

Btw. don't know if you are aware of the phuturetone emulations: http://www.phuturetone.com/

Should have a look at the silverbox and out the primal audio stuff insdie ... hmmm
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Catblack

29 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
29 May 2018
Btw. don't know if you are aware of the phuturetone emulations: http://www.phuturetone.com/

Should have a look at the silverbox and out the primal audio stuff insdie ... hmmm
These are on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. You may need to click the green (304) dropbox link to get to them.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

EdGrip

29 May 2018

I do have the PhutureTone refill - I just dusted it off to have a listen. I think my combi is maybe a bit richer, but then you'd hope so, given that it's using a dedicated 303 filter RE. It's noticeable how straight-up different the PhutureTone 303 Combi sounds when you've bypassed all the effects. Not worse, just a different flavour. I wonder why?

Okay - I've added an Accent-type-control-sort-of.
Setting a Curve step in the Matrix device above 0% (how much above 0% = Accent knob*) adds a bit of filter attack time and a bit of extra level. It also adds a bit of Slide - if you wanted you could add a 2nd Matrix and use it for an independent Slide control, but it's quicker and more fun this way. :)
Also the Mod Wheel is actually the bonus HP filter now. ;) Have fun!

*Alternatively, just use Curve values of 0% OR 100% and use the CV Input Amount trimmer on the Combinator back panel as the Accent knob. I've been quite conservative with the amount the Accent affects the overall level - you might want to adjust that in the Combi programmer.

• Information