Sound effects - transitions, reverses, impacts

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
jimmyklane

29 May 2018

botnotbot wrote:
29 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
12 May 2018
Please leave me some comments on this thread or on YouTube. Subscribe if you’d like to see more content. In addition, I can get much more advanced on individual topics ranging from transitions, drum production, sampling, synthesis technique, getting certain types of sounds or emulating sounds you love in songs, and even my own creative process if you check out my soundcloud in my signature and like my music. I want to hear what you think and what you’d like to see more of, if anything!!!

Great video! It really has a lot of transition techniques packed into a single place. This makes it a great reference going forward.

Looking ahead to your future videos, I hope you keep the same tone/technical level throughout. YouTube has so many 'How to begin..' type videos and very few in depth tutorials soaking in the decade+ history of these instruments. In Reason, the effect is even more extreme considering the lack of 3rd party devices back in Reason's hey-day -- so many crazy tricks and techniques that I have no idea about, having come in at 9.5 with a subscription to a small galaxy of REs to utilize.

I’m really happy that you enjoyed this video! I was really afraid of how “amateur” it is presented and the fact that I DONT go super deep into any one technique would turn people off.
Have you seen my new series? It’s callex “Exploring Reason” and I posted the first video here and on YouTube starting with Subtractor. I cover it for 25 minutes. I’m going to attempt to work my way “up the chain” and I’m working on the video for NN-19 now.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

botnotbot

30 May 2018

I hadn't realized that it was uploaded already. I did check it out and enjoyed it quite a bit! One thought about this kind of format is that it might help with focus to break it into two sections, an overview kind of section and an 'in-depth patching' section. (Speaking of overview, next time you can show a few of your favorite waves, rather than all 32, but that was my only real critique of the content.)

So, first the overview (including historical context, which is generally pretty cool when it comes to Reason) and then the second section could be going over some patches that you have designed in order to highlight different features of the synth. This could have been a way to avoid running out of time/steam before having a chance to show off the extensive velocity modulation possibilities, for instance, as presumably it would have already been in a patch that you had prepared and thus would have already touched upon. Just a thought with regards to how you might be able to maximize the information impact by having some prepared examples that really highlight the musical consequences of the features you are highlighting by contextualizing those features within a full patch.

The mix of your voice relative to the demonstrations was also a bit of an issue for me, but I saw in the YT comments that you are already planning to remedy that. The only other thing is that it would be absolutely lovely to have some sort of pyscho-acoustic based loudness limiting (or even just keytracking to amplitude) when you are demonstrating default waveforms and unfiltered synthesis in general. In combination with a quiet voice track it's a combination for some really loud times when you start playing notes higher up the register.

But all that is technical/structural feedback. Content wise I think you are nailing it. Great work, and thanks for your contributions! Not sure who is leaving all the thumbs downs on your videos but F those haters.

• Information