Sound effects - transitions, reverses, impacts

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
oshkosh181

08 May 2018

Hello, new to the forum. Can anyone recommend a good refill or sample pack for various transition effects (up/down lifts, reverses, cinematic impact type), preferably of the free variety? Thanks!

Electric-Metal

08 May 2018

Not free ones but I often make use of this one

https://primeloops.com/razor-fx.html

or you could give Loopcloud a spin. It has some pretty nice features for auditioning the samples. Once you've registered, you get a free welcome sample pack, and you can purchase single samples instead of whole packs where in the end you'd maybe only use a 3rd of 'em.

https://www.loopcloud.net/
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

jimmyklane

08 May 2018

oshkosh181 wrote:
08 May 2018
Hello, new to the forum. Can anyone recommend a good refill or sample pack for various transition effects (up/down lifts, reverses, cinematic impact type), preferably of the free variety? Thanks!
I’d be happy to show you how to make them if you like? All are pretty simple to make with stock Reason devices and occasionally the old Orkester refill.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

oshkosh181

10 May 2018

Electric-Metal wrote:
08 May 2018
Not free ones but I often make use of this one

https://primeloops.com/razor-fx.html

or you could give Loopcloud a spin. It has some pretty nice features for auditioning the samples. Once you've registered, you get a free welcome sample pack, and you can purchase single samples instead of whole packs where in the end you'd maybe only use a 3rd of 'em.

https://www.loopcloud.net/
Thanks for the tip!

kuhliloach

10 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
08 May 2018
oshkosh181 wrote:
08 May 2018
I’d be happy to show you how to make them if you like? All are pretty simple to make with stock Reason devices and occasionally the old Orkester refill.
I'd love to see how you make them :)

Electric-Metal

10 May 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
10 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
08 May 2018

Count me in :)

Adabler
Competition Winner

10 May 2018

You have probably already checked them out, but there are a decent amount of those included in drum supply/noises & fx in reason 10.

I'd like to see jimmysklane's approach as well. :)
:reason: 12, Win10

deepndark

10 May 2018

I ow few of these vengeance samplepacks, not bad in my opinion.
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/samples.php

aeox
Competition Winner

10 May 2018

Bounce reverb tails and reverse them for reverse effects.

For impacts it can be a combination of many different things like white noise with volume automation from Thor and any old drum sample hits with reverb .

Up/down lifters are usually white noise and/or drone notes with pitch, filter, and volume automation.

Use your imagination and see what you can come up with!

fotizimo

10 May 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
10 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
08 May 2018

Count me in!
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

NekujaK

10 May 2018

For FREE sample packs of FX, wooshes, and impacts, definitely check out 99sounds. They offer a huge and diverse collection of completely FREE sound FX samples. You can't go wrong here.
http://99sounds.org/free-sound-effects/

If you feel like exploring VSTs, you might want to check these out:

The Riser is a dedicated synth for constructing risers, wooshes, and FX. It's expensive right now, but all the stuff from AIR Music frequently goes on sale, so just keep an eye out, especially at Electronics Boutique.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... nsion-Pack

Marazmator is a FREE device for creating a variety of wooshes and FX. The randomizer feature makes it a lot of fun to explore.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/marazma ... es/details

Noisetar is another FREE FX device. I haven't played with it enough to know what it's capable of, but for the price, you might as well check it out.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/noiseta ... ng/details
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

jimmyklane

11 May 2018

Ok, looks like I’ve got 4-5 takers. What would be simpler? A reason file available for DL (I’m on 10.1) or some type of YouTube video?

It’ll take me a few days due to work/family

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

Adabler
Competition Winner

11 May 2018

Maybe a video would be best so that those with older versions also can join in.

jimmyklane

11 May 2018

Ok, I’ll be 100% happy to show how I go about creating risers/fallers, sweeps, impacts, zaps, etc in Reason and create a nice 20-30 minute tutorial video.

I’m going to dive right in at the deep end, assuming everyone knows both Reason as well as some basic synthesis, but since it will be on YT, I’ll answer any questions both here and there.

Like I said, give me a little while to get a reasonably well put-together video made and I’ll post and link directly to this thread!

Thanks for all the interest, I’m super stoked to show that while simply using a sample pack is quick and easy (and I agree with the poster about the Vengeance packs, they are excellent but I’ve only ever used 8-10 of hundreds!) making them on your own is much more specific to your music...i.e. you can time everything to your track, you can match the key without sampler gymnastics, you have so much more flexibility at your disposal that the examples I give you will really only be a starting point for you to work off of since I can’t even dream up all your musical needs!

Electric-Metal

11 May 2018

Great. Looking forward to this. :thumbs_up:

C//AZM

11 May 2018

Looking forward to this too.

jimmyklane

11 May 2018

Ok, I’ve got a really really basic video done and it’s rendering out now (won’t be able to post till tonight). I show noise and pitch sweeps in Thor, creating impacts and ambience in NNXT, and even some basic NN19 stuff.

If you’re not new to synthesis you may think the first video is lame because it’s so basic (and unedited and not that professional!).... HOWEVER, if people watch it and are interested I will go very in-depth into specific subjects that you ask for.

So, at some point tonight or tomorrow the link will be posted up in this thread. Please excuse the poor editing in advance: I wanted to get you something sooner rather than later.

jimmyklane

12 May 2018

Please leave me some comments on this thread or on YouTube. Subscribe if you’d like to see more content. In addition, I can get much more advanced on individual topics ranging from transitions, drum production, sampling, synthesis technique, getting certain types of sounds or emulating sounds you love in songs, and even my own creative process if you check out my soundcloud in my signature and like my music. I want to hear what you think and what you’d like to see more of, if anything!!!

again...forgive the lack of professional production values in this video....if anyone wants one of the topics in here covered in depth please let me know and I'll put some actual hours into it....this was done in one take yesterday morning, as you'll see and hear in the video!

Electric-Metal

13 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 May 2018
Nice one. Wasn't all new to to me, but actually found some inspiration for trying new things.

For the "lack of professionalism", it serves a purpose, so all good on my end :thumbs_up:

And btw, I really like your Trance tracks on SC. Especially "Question Reality" is a real driving one. Enjoyed it.

jimmyklane

13 May 2018

Electric-Metal wrote:
13 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
12 May 2018
Nice one. Wasn't all new to to me, but actually found some inspiration for trying new things.

For the "lack of professionalism", it serves a purpose, so all good on my end :thumbs_up:

And btw, I really like your Trance tracks on SC. Especially "Question Reality" is a real driving one. Enjoyed it.
Thanks man! Nice to hear somebody likes my tunes! They are there to be listened to, and the one thing I do in the music business for pure enjoyment!!!

I’ve been inspired to start a series on every instrument in Reason (if you remember the old articles on the props site back in 1/2.0 days?) that shows all the functionality for both basic and advanced usage cases. So figure 20 minutes on each instrument, it’ll be a nice sized project to play with when I'm not working.

Adabler
Competition Winner

13 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
13 May 2018
I’ve been inspired to start a series on every instrument in Reason (if you remember the old articles on the props site back in 1/2.0 days?) that shows all the functionality for both basic and advanced usage cases. So figure 20 minutes on each instrument, it’ll be a nice sized project to play with when I'm not working.
I've already subscribed to your channel! You've nailed the format, as far as I'm concerned. It is is really cool to see how other people work and I usually end up learning a lot. Keep 'em coming!

jimmyklane

13 May 2018

Adabler wrote:
13 May 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
13 May 2018
I've already subscribed to your channel! You've nailed the format, as far as I'm concerned. It is is really cool to see how other people work and I usually end up learning a lot. Keep 'em coming!
Sweet. They’ll be coming out as quick as I can make them. They might not be as slick as Props videos ( who pay for more than free screen capture software!) but they will be as deep as I can think to make them. For example, the older devices are not really covered in-depth because they’ve existed for longer than YouTube was a real thing...but you can use Subtractor to get some super cool, dark and gritty sounds with aliasing and artifacts. The wavetables and the very unique oscillator 2 add/subtract/multiply matrix is not in any other synth that I’ve seen. If you check out the waveforms on a scope, you can get stuff really similar to hardware like the Roland Alpha Juno (saw wave modulation instead of PWM) and when you bring the additional waves into the mix it can get extremely interesting.

The “Subtractor Master Class” is my next video. Once I plan it out and have my “story” in place I’ll release it here in its own thread and on my YouTube channel for everyone to watch.

Everyone, thank you so much for checking out the video above!!! I know there are mistakes (like not maxing the amp envelope sustain for the noise sweeps!) but the rough ideas are there. Again, I’m more than happy to either answer questions or to make another video to address questions on the transitions video.

faun2500

25 May 2018

:thumbs_up:

Would have to recommend this pack - https://newloops.com/products/club-sound-effects-bundle

Currently over 50% OFF! Download the FREE DEMO to check out some sounds! :exclamation: :exclamation:
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

botnotbot

29 May 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
12 May 2018
Please leave me some comments on this thread or on YouTube. Subscribe if you’d like to see more content. In addition, I can get much more advanced on individual topics ranging from transitions, drum production, sampling, synthesis technique, getting certain types of sounds or emulating sounds you love in songs, and even my own creative process if you check out my soundcloud in my signature and like my music. I want to hear what you think and what you’d like to see more of, if anything!!!

Great video! It really has a lot of transition techniques packed into a single place. This makes it a great reference going forward.

Looking ahead to your future videos, I hope you keep the same tone/technical level throughout. YouTube has so many 'How to begin..' type videos and very few in depth tutorials soaking in the decade+ history of these instruments. In Reason, the effect is even more extreme considering the lack of 3rd party devices back in Reason's hey-day -- so many crazy tricks and techniques that I have no idea about, having come in at 9.5 with a subscription to a small galaxy of REs to utilize.

• Information