What's YOUR grain ammo?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
CeeKeys

16 Mar 2018

With the popularity of granular synthesis - there is a universe of sound possibilities. But you are currently limited with using the default sound bank, or some experimenting on your own - which still yields great results. However, if you want to start from scratch - you need a sample. Current sample and loop libraries may be good, but I've not yet seen a sample library specifically tailored for grain use. There's got to be some of that out there.

Where do you go for grain samples? Do you make your own - grab what's out there - do you use an audio waveform editor to manipulate or create your own?

With traditional sound synthesis, I could 'envision' a sound and start tweaking oscillators, envelopes, filters, etc to work towards my vision. But with grain samples, your source is the meat and potatoes and then envelopes, filters, etc. follow. Would be nice to compile a list of resources for grain samples!!!

What's YOUR grain ammo?

BRIGGS

16 Mar 2018

Still getting the hang of it, just got reason 10 a week ago!!! I have been dropping in FSB samples just for fun.
r11s

nickb523
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

Rostnomo is very good for generating waveforms. Hit the randomize button until you get something nice, record a long c3 note and then put it in Grain. You will almost always get good results. :)

Psuper

16 Mar 2018

I use the heck out of The Mangle which is similar to Grain. Experimentation is insanely enjoyable, I'll mess around for hours and barely blink, however I find the best usage is when I'm creating a song and get a specific idea in my head that granular sysnthesis does easily and well, like drones, pads, etc. Typically I'll create the sound I'll use and start plugging away at it. I tend to use my own vocal manipulations for 75% of the sounds in Mangle.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2018

I browse all sorts of sounds in all my refills and sample library.

I've found its given life to so many sounds. Especially rhythmic sounds sampled from keyboard workstations.

BRIGGS

16 Mar 2018

Sometimes I feel like my brain will explode from all the possibilites. :lol:
r11s

Quiloc Lim

16 Mar 2018

nickb523 wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Rostnomo is very good for generating waveforms. Hit the randomize button until you get something nice, record a long c3 note and then put it in Grain. You will almost always get good results. :)
Very clever. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try this.

avasopht
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2018

nickb523 wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Yep, .. I mean, I usually just compose with them, but yahh!

teddymcw

17 Mar 2018

Been using guitar recently both dry and with fx to create the sample, same w voice. But ya really everything goes in for tweaking in tape or long grain mode. Grain is almost like another whole daw itself

EnochLight

17 Mar 2018

Absolutely love LOVE LOVE Granular Manoeuvres by SKP Sounds. Best $21 USD I've ever spent on a Refill. Grain is such a top notch Reason device, and probably one of the best granular synths/samplers out there, IMHO:

https://www.skpsounds.com/granular-manoeuvres-refill/

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

moneykube

17 Mar 2018

this works for me...
Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 1.23.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 1.23.49 PM.png (998.82 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

CeeKeys

17 Mar 2018

Psuper wrote:
16 Mar 2018
I use the heck out of The Mangle
I love the Mangle too!! Although it is abandonware, I will be using it for some time to come. It is great on CPU utilization. I wished the author would give or sell the source code for further development. This was ahead of its time.

http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/

BRIGGS

17 Mar 2018

oh oh oh oh oh!!! try loading rv7000mkii impulse files into grain!!!

Crazy!!! :shock:
r11s

Psuper

18 Mar 2018

CeeKeys wrote:
17 Mar 2018
Psuper wrote:
16 Mar 2018
I use the heck out of The Mangle
I love the Mangle too!! Although it is abandonware, I will be using it for some time to come. It is great on CPU utilization. I wished the author would give or sell the source code for further development. This was ahead of its time.

http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/
I have to thank my reluctance to purchase R10 for making me discover it -- I loved Grain and wanted something similar. And now its the best of both worlds for me -- I like it far more than Grain, and since building the new DAW I've not had any issues running Mangle in Reason. I agree, the guy is missing the boat -- I tried every granular synthesis app available and it stands out from the crowd by miles.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

drloop

18 Mar 2018

My own samples.
My voices sampled to NN-XT

Same samples to Grain

kuhliloach

18 Mar 2018

Great thread... Great thread name too! Grain Ammo is a good name for a sound pack. Thanks for the cool suggestions such as using impact sounds and Rostnomo.

CeeKeys

19 Mar 2018

nickb523 wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Great idea - finally a great use for those modules which create random waveforms/sounds. Ambient music welcomed these with open arms but using them as a source and then PLAY them - brilliant! This would be a great feature to work into a grain RE - some sort of additional random wave generation!

• Information