Teflon Tomb ReFill Review: Orkestrial Obersounds by Quixotic Sound Design

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
ReasonTalk

18 Feb 2018

"I have always been someone who when I first trial a new Rack Extension would Init Patch and begin to mess about with the knobs, having zero interest in the quantity /quality of presets and quickly assess if the device brings something different to the table.

Oberon was one of those synths that was an insta-buy, as I could tell even before trying it that there were just so many parameters to tweak a sound. That said, I found myself (only doing my own sound design) creating harsh noise music that was extremely dissonant and I gradually moved away from using it. Then recently ReasonTalk user, Auryn from Quixotic Sound Design, familiar with an Oberon 2 review I did last year, let me take his new Oberon ReFill, Orkestrial Obersounds, for a test drive."

Read the rest of this review and watch the video by Teflon Tomb (modecca)!

TheGodOfRainbows

18 Feb 2018

Nice review Teflon. The more I watch/listen to you, the more shame I feel as a preset lover. I feel so lazy for not exploring my synths as thoroughly as you, and as you said at the end of the video review, I'm missing out on some of the joys of sound design. I'm going to start getting more involved in that process.

WongoTheSane

18 Feb 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
18 Feb 2018
Nice review Teflon. The more I watch/listen to you, the more shame I feel as a preset lover. I feel so lazy for not exploring my synths as thoroughly as you, and as you said at the end of the video review, I'm missing out on some of the joys of sound design. I'm going to start getting more involved in that process.
I feel the same. When you think "that guy is so good he could even make music with a hoover and a frying pan", he does...

joeyluck

18 Feb 2018

WongoTheSane had the best reaction when we first saw the video:

"The broken glasses, the phone calls, the Freddy Kruger glove, everything is here!!!"

:D

Job well done :thumbs_up:

modecca

18 Feb 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
18 Feb 2018
There are 2 videos linked in the article and the second one focuses on exploring the Orkestrial Obersounds refill.
I am obviously an advocate of extreme experimentation with synthesizers, but this particular article was actually focused on taking a step back from designing sounds myself and appreciating a refill that someone else created. For many people using presets is mainly how they work and for me, it was beneficial try that out for myself for a few days and spend more time making music than finding new ways to do sound design.Also focusing on using a particular refill, is a good way to observe and learn sound design methods. For example I almost never make 2 oscillator patches and the Oberon refill is full of those type of patches. My mod matrix are not
that complex but the setting amounts are extreme and this refill uses the entire mod matrix with a lot of subtle
settings.Every person who designs a patch, views the synth differently. A synths sonic range is drastically limited and I am
being pretty close minded (non-artistic) , when I consistently view my patches as the only ones worthy of use.

WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Feb 2018
I feel the same. When you think "that guy is so good he could even make music with a hoover and a frying pan", he does...

joeyluck wrote:
18 Feb 2018
WongoTheSane had the best reaction when we first saw the video:

"The broken glasses, the phone calls, the Freddy Kruger glove, everything is here!!!"
:D
Job well done :thumbs_up:
S1400047.JPG
S1400047.JPG (765.27 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
🔗💥

strangers
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2018

That was such a creative and entertaining video to watch. It was also very informative and interesting to see how other guys use refills. My sound designing skills (or lack of) are nowhere near the level of Modecca and Quixotic. Refills like these are very inspiring and useful for guys like me who might have loads of song ideas but lack the discipline to coax such cool sounds out of synths.

Seeing that Freddy Krueger glove got me wanting to work on something spooky. Huge thanks for Quixotic Sound Design for a monster of a refill and another big thanks to Modecca for the entertaining review and inspiration to get working on more music. Don't trip over that accordion.

modecca

18 Feb 2018

strangers wrote:
18 Feb 2018
That was such a creative and entertaining video to watch. It was also very informative and interesting to see how other guys use refills. My sound designing skills (or lack of) are nowhere near the level of Modecca and Quixotic. Refills like these are very inspiring and useful for guys like me who might have loads of song ideas but lack the discipline to coax such cool sounds out of synths.

Seeing that Freddy Krueger glove got me wanting to work on something spooky. Huge thanks for Quixotic Sound Design for a monster of a refill and another big thanks to Modecca for the entertaining review and inspiration to get working on more music. Don't trip over that accordion.
Thanks buddy.
If I make a video (and I have before, that I don't even finding entertaining to watch) I won't bother posting it.
Me droning on about any subject I find painful to listen to, so I have to treat reviews as they are art themselves to keep them interesting.

Brief history of my relationship to sound design:
I got started in the late 90's with a primitive computer and was using 'sound recorder' (.wav+ slow stuff down/ speed it up and add echos) and 'wav editor' to make wierd sounds and 'music' at the same time. Then I got a job and could afford N364 korg work station and was soley focused on making music, using the presets that came with the synth.
Remembering the weird shit I made with the simple sample programs I had initially, I wanted to be able to make interesting sounds again so I picked up a Nord lead 3 and was lost making stoner noise again.
Then I got a bootleg Reason 3 copy and found I go easily go in either direction depending on what mood I was in.

I only have that accordian because this monkey makes it look easy:

More spooky music is good, cause 'Everyday Is Halloween'-Ministry.
I was really happy with this spooky tune you made last November:
🔗💥

Auryn

18 Feb 2018

I loved the harmonica as well, so completely a-propos of nothing... Thanks again for making this video and all the creativity you put into it.
modecca wrote:
18 Feb 2018
There are 2 videos linked in the article and the second one focuses on exploring the Orkestrial Obersounds refill.
I am obviously an advocate of extreme experimentation with synthesizers, but this particular article was actually focused on taking a step back from designing sounds myself and appreciating a refill that someone else created. For many people using presets is mainly how they work and for me, it was beneficial try that out for myself for a few days and spend more time making music than finding new ways to do sound design.Also focusing on using a particular refill, is a good way to observe and learn sound design methods. For example I almost never make 2 oscillator patches and the Oberon refill is full of those type of patches. My mod matrix are not
that complex but the setting amounts are extreme and this refill uses the entire mod matrix with a lot of subtle
settings.Every person who designs a patch, views the synth differently. A synths sonic range is drastically limited and I am
being pretty close minded (non-artistic) , when I consistently view my patches as the only ones worthy of use.
I would certainly encourage everyone to experiment with Oberon for themselves... I had actually typed up a short tutorial here on how to get most out of the morphing but I lost it because the connection timed out...drat! Let me just put this here as a placeholder and i'll type it up again tomorrow.

Edit: ok, so as not to distract from the video I made a seperate topic in tutorials viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7505645
There I explain a bit about how the morphing works and how the oscillators interact. I might add some more later.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2018

Awesome review as always.

Love the callers :D

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2018

I don't own Oberon but it was worth watching anyway

modecca

19 Feb 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
19 Feb 2018
Awesome review as always.
Love the callers :D
Thanks man.
The callers always provide me with such warm, constructive criticism:
Sit up straight please you slouch!
Those orange boxers you got on the floor beg the question: are you a gay?
Your music stinks, can we get an example of someone else making music with the patches you are reviewing.

aeox wrote:
19 Feb 2018
I don't own Oberon but it was worth watching anyway
At least the Oberon seed has been planted.
The butterfly effects states that everything that happens in your life no matter how small, can cause you to make a choice that could radically change the outcome of your life.
🔗💥

• Information