New Bitley refill available soon

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
tobypearce

17 Feb 2018

Got word via Patrick's email distribution list. You can see the email here:

https://us6.campaign-archive.com/?u=606 ... 8ccb91870e

This is pretty exciting - the next version of Way Beyond Fairlight - RX2.

There's an introductory sale!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

qn5

17 Feb 2018

Oh snap!
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

dustmoses

17 Feb 2018

I'm gonna need this, wish I knew upgrade price (I'd gladly pay 59 unless upgrade is less.)

EnochLight

17 Feb 2018

Man... I really wish Patrick would do an IDT with a customized GUI/UX. I see what PinkNoise did with Luna and it's just so hard for me to get excited about Refills anymore. :(

Still, glad he's still out there kicking away with WBF. I can only dream about a vogerdesign created GUI/UX for a Way Beyond Fairlight IDT.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

nickb523
RE Developer

17 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Feb 2018
Man... I really wish Patrick would do an IDT with a customized GUI/UX. I see what PinkNoise did with Luna and it's just so hard for me to get excited about Refills anymore. :(
I don't know Patrick personally, but i do know that he has been putting out these refills and plugging away since damn near the beginning.

The current IDT offers VERY limited possibilities when compared with working with native devices within a combinator. You basically only have the shell of an NNXT along with some FX to work with and that is it. On top of that you have to build a GUI and wire all the controls to moving parts on the GUI. It takes AGES to achieve the same results you could get from an everyday combinator patch.

It's nice to wrap things up in a nice neat skin. But that is all it is - a skin.

JFTR - I don't mean to shit on IDT in general. I own a a few and really enjoy them. But it's nothing you couldn't achieve in a combinator, and with added extras plus user editing ability.

Shouts out to Bitley. :)

QVprod

17 Feb 2018

nickb523 wrote:
17 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
17 Feb 2018
I don't know Patrick personally, but i do know that he has been putting out these refills and plugging away since damn near the beginning.

The current IDT offers VERY limited possibilities when compared with working with native devices within a combinator. You basically only have the shell of an NNXT along with some FX to work with and that is it. On top of that you have to build a GUI and wire all the controls to moving parts on the GUI. It takes AGES to achieve the same results you could get from an everyday combinator patch.

It's nice to wrap things up in a nice neat skin. But that is all it is - a skin.

JFTR - I don't mean to shit on IDT in general. I own a a few and really enjoy them. But it's nothing you couldn't achieve in a combinator, and with added extras plus user editing ability.

On the contrary. Combinator is limited to 4 knobs and 4 buttons. There are far more controls that can be put within an IDT than can be done with a combinator patch. Take Arturia CMI V for instance https://www.arturia.com/cmi-v/overview. Granted, while it would be hard for this all of this functionality to put into a RE, there are some synth like qualities that can be accomplished with a RE gui that will be far easier and more inspiring to use than navigating the contents of a combinator.

There is also the option of building a sample based RE that isn't IDT, though of course the cost of doing so would be a factor.

nickb523
RE Developer

17 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
17 Feb 2018
nickb523 wrote:
17 Feb 2018

On the contrary. Combinator is limited to 4 knobs and 4 buttons. There are far more controls that can be put within an IDT than can be done with a combinator patch. Take Arturia CMI V for instance https://www.arturia.com/cmi-v/overview. Granted, while it would be hard for this all of this functionality to put into a RE, there are some synth like qualities that can be accomplished with a RE gui that will be far easier and more inspiring to use than navigating the contents of a combinator.
Granted. I get it, but i'm more considering the time involved it putting it all together. It's not an easy or straightforward task to build an IDT, only to have the end result turn out essentially the same. For WBF it would be a serious undertaking for any dev, and that is miles before we get to the money part.

I can see where he is coming from in previous threads. Hopefully IDT v2 will help us all out. ;)

nickb523
RE Developer

17 Feb 2018

I thought it best i clarify my point -

Building an IDT is not like RE Meccano. There is a lot more to it than that, and i respect the devs that have gone down that path. However, it's not something i could personally put together in any kind of reasonable timescale. I assume Bitley's issue stems from the same thinking. In order to overcome this we would have to hire dev's, which would already eat into a world of "slim pickings", making said "slim pickings" significantly slimmer.

It's really hard.

As i said i hope the new IDT version solves this. :)

QVprod

17 Feb 2018

nickb523 wrote:
17 Feb 2018
I thought it best i clarify my point -

Building an IDT is not like RE Meccano. There is a lot more to it than that, and i respect the devs that have gone down that path. However, it's not something i could personally put together in any kind of reasonable timescale. I assume Bitley's issue stems from the same thinking. In order to overcome this we would have to hire dev's, which would already eat into a world of "slim pickings", making said "slim pickings" significantly slimmer.

It's really hard.

As i said i hope the new IDT version solves this. :)
I'm registered as a developer myself so I'm aware it's not simple. Just like creating Kontakt libraries with a gui isn't easy. Thing for bitley though, (no disrespect to him) is he's been selling Fairlight related refills for close to 10 years if not more. You can only sell the same product with additions but so many times before you have to do something different to keep getting customers. Sometimes that different something is a shiny new interface. The reason many of us wanted RE was to not have to study combinator routings in order to tweak a preset beyond the limited combinator programming for what would otherwise be a simple synth. At this point, sticking to the refill format for sample based products is taking the easy way out, which is fine if it works, but the easy way isn't always the best way. Especially when the sample based refill market isn't what it used to be. Luna (as Enochlight mentioned) is a great example of a refill developer creating more interest by creating a RE that's definitely more convenient than setting up a combinator for the same purposes.

dberndt7
Competition Winner

18 Feb 2018

Excited to see this! I don't own any of his stuff but have been interested in his refills for a little while. I personally am fine with refills, it's really the sounds that are key if it expands my pallet. I downloaded the demos and really loved the instant 80 sounds. I found myself using one of the combinators on a track when I was looking for something like a Psychedelic Furs keyboard (Ghost in You), and found something pretty much akin to what I was looking for in the demo pack. I'm just starting to build a sound library, so this seems like a great great deal for anyone looking for classic 80s synths. They seem to be really well done, and there's a ton of content... I just paid $59 for Parsec on sale this week.. Oh well. Guess this will be purchase #2.

Sargie

25 Feb 2018

I’ve bought a number of his refills - they’re excellent. I would have bought this too at the $59 price but I never got the email. Oh well! 😕

Gorgon

25 Feb 2018

Bitley is the shit. I don't use his refills enough. I should.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

bitley

18 Apr 2018

Hi guys!

Apparently my user name has been changed; it used to be bitley™️ but all of a sudden I couldn’t log in. But now I could! :)

Lots of talk about format; I don’t think it’s a priority to abandon eternally awesome things like NNXT & Combinator.

Someone points out I’ve been doing ”this” for a while. Good! Lol! The first version had about 250 patches; today’s version has close to 5,000. This year these sounds are getting airplay as they are used in many current tracks now. Always fun to recognize them on the radio.

My mission and my enthusiasm lies in sounds. Graphics - cool but not the main thing. I have translated it to Kontakt & work is now being done to get it over to Yamaha Moxf / Motif XF and Montage. As an example on what I do during all this time: For each format hundreds of hours of format specific programming is being done.

Watch out for the Motif demo soooon ;)

• Information