Help w/ Thor's Envelope

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
mbfrancis

11 Feb 2018

Hey can someone explain the behavior of Thor's amp envelope in this patch. I notice this behavior sometimes but can't fix it.
Instead of ending smoothly on release, it always cuts off. If I increase the release, it just lasts longer before cutting off. Any help appreciated. Here''s the patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq3fr3lqikddu ... e.zip?dl=0
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

eXode

11 Feb 2018

Simply put:

You need to scale the Filter routings with the amp.

I don't remember why Thor behaves like this but if you add Amp Env as scale the behavior goes away. I think it has to do with that when you route FIlter 1 and 2 to Filter 3 you bypass the amp (and also it's envelope).

See attached edited patch.
Attachments
synth brass envelope -EDITED.zip
(802 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times

Loque

11 Feb 2018

Didn't checked the patch, but filter 3 is scale by the global env by default.
Reason12, Win10

eXode

11 Feb 2018

Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2018
Didn't checked the patch, but filter 3 is scale by the global env by default.
Yeah, I'm not talking about filter 3 but the signal that goes into filter 3.

Filter 3 is intended for external audio so you don't need to open a gate to hear it, but that also means that if you route Filter 1 and 2 directly into Filter 3 you bypass the Amp and thus also the Amp envelope, which is why you need to scale it's signal in the mod matrix.

selig
RE Developer

11 Feb 2018

eXode wrote:Simply put:

You need to scale the Filter routings with the amp.

I don't remember why Thor behaves like this but if you add Amp Env as scale the behavior goes away. I think it has to do with that when you route FIlter 1 and 2 to Filter 3 you bypass the amp (and also it's envelope).

See attached edited patch.
Thor works this way because the Amp Env determines the basic silence detection of the synth. When the Amp Env finishes, it shuts off all the poly modules in Thor. So if you’re listening to a ‘raw’ audio signal by bypassing the Amp section (and therefore the Amp Env), you will hear full level audio until the Amp Env Release finishes, then abrupt silence.

Adding “Amp Env” as a Scale simply imposes the Amp Env’s shape on the audio, so instead of an abrupt end you get a smooth fade out - it STILL ends when it ends, it’s just no longer abrupt!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mbfrancis

11 Feb 2018

Woah, responses from Exode and Selig - much appreciated both! Yeah I should have called out I was routing straight to Filter 3. This all makes sense, thanks so much! And the patch works great.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information