Bladerunner Brass Synth

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
electrofux

11 Oct 2017

Love the Lemuria v2 track :-)
Sadly i dont have the Polysix to try out Normens patch. But i noticed in the other patches that when two voices are sounding/overlapping i most of the time get some distortion going which leads to that brassy thing i am looking for. A bit uncontrollable though.
Antidote,BR.cmb and the Galaxy Girl one are different but definitly resemble the Vangelis sound. My favourite is the BR.cmb though i have to experiment with Antidote more.
Great stuff going on here :-)

dana

11 Oct 2017

electrofux wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Sadly i dont have the Polysix to try out Normens patch. But i noticed in the other patches that when two voices are sounding/overlapping i most of the time get some distortion going which leads to that brassy thing i am looking for. A bit uncontrollable though.
Antidote,BR.cmb and the Galaxy Girl one are different but definitly resemble the Vangelis sound. My favourite is the BR.cmb though i have to experiment with Antidote more.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying :)

This one is thor and rv7000 only in a combinator, check it out. I emulate individual filter and oscillator drift over the whole device, so realistic with one note but still sounds great when played as chords.

Maybe not as fat as polysix but it would be easy to stack multiples of these with a mixer inside the combinator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6guvfjhganqji ... 9.cmb?dl=0

jayhosking

12 Oct 2017

I look forward to sharing mine once Reason 10 drops and Europa is out of beta!

Trefor

16 Oct 2017

There's a really good patch in the brilliant XSynth-Free refill in the pads folder. It's just called Brass.

Trefor

17 Oct 2017

I made a patch in Thor that sounds pretty close. Now I just need to figure out how to upload it so that anyone who wants to try it out can get it.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2017

Trefor wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I made a patch in Thor that sounds pretty close. Now I just need to figure out how to upload it so that anyone who wants to try it out can get it.
Zip it up, then instead of just replying hit "Full editor and Preview", then you will see a tab that says "Attachments", add the zip file there.

Trefor

17 Oct 2017

Cool, thanks Carly.

Trefor

17 Oct 2017

Here's my attempt using Thor. Thanks to Carly for the upload help :)
TW_Bladerunner.thor.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

jayhosking

17 Oct 2017

Sounds pretty good, Trefor! A little toothier (and a little less fuzzy/soft) than some variants here.

Trefor

17 Oct 2017

jayhosking wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Sounds pretty good, Trefor! A little toothier (and a little less fuzzy/soft) than some variants here.
Thanks Jay.

Quiloc Lim

18 Oct 2017

dana wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Because of this thread, i decided to make a v2 of a vangelis-inspired track.

Here is the reason file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujrop218u5uh6 ... eason?dl=1

Of this track (to preview):

At least now you can get a subscription to use all the rack extensions i use here if you don't have them :)
WOW...! This is beautiful. Thanks for making & sharing this. I really like it. :thumbs_up:

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

Great to find a Vangelis praising and imitation thread :)

Here's my take on it:
In my opinion it's very "Vangelian", but it's not so "brassy" as that Blade Runner sound.
It uses Antidote and original patch by Selig. I tweaked a bit reverb and envelopes to put put it in a more Vangelis-like landscape, as the original is more space ambient.
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Trefor

18 Oct 2017

dana wrote:
11 Oct 2017
electrofux wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Thanks, glad you are enjoying :)

This one is thor and rv7000 only in a combinator, check it out. I emulate individual filter and oscillator drift over the whole device, so realistic with one note but still sounds great when played as chords.

Maybe not as fat as polysix but it would be easy to stack multiples of these with a mixer inside the combinator.

This one sounds great, I particularly love the way that it can be detuned using the mod wheel.

Trefor

18 Oct 2017

pedrocaetanos wrote:
18 Oct 2017

Here's my take on it:
In my opinion it's very "Vangelian", but it's not so "brassy" as that Blade Runner sound.
It uses Antidote and original patch by Selig. I tweaked a bit reverb and envelopes to put put it in a more Vangelis-like landscape, as the original is more space ambient.
Wonderful sound pedrocaetanos. Which patch?

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Something like this?

BR.zip
The timbre is really great, but for Vangelis style envelopes need to be longer.
And maybe a tad more reverb.
Apart from that, thanks for the patch, I liked! :)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

nickb523 wrote:
10 Oct 2017
This combinator is close. You will need Antidote though - 80.zip
Great one, thanks!
By the way, lowering reverb amount, it starts resembling a bit JMJarre, specially in the lower notes (not Oxygen/Equinoxe era, more Concerts in China forward)

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

A very good one, didn't remember she had that (I already knew many of her sounds)

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

normen wrote:
11 Oct 2017
I find PolySix's saw in unison with a bit of spread and lots of RV7000 works pretty well.

Edit: Looking at my patch I actually used RV7 :) If you up the numbers of voices you get more of that "brassy" if I interpret that right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g93x5ihl89nxy ... s.cmb?dl=1
I still find Antidote better for sounding more CS80-like, but this patch is very good.
Indeed increasing unison voices put's it more up there. Increasing a lot sounds great :)

normen

18 Oct 2017

pedrocaetanos wrote:
18 Oct 2017
Indeed increasing unison voices put's it more up there. Increasing a lot sounds great :)
You can also increase the spread a bit for a fatter sound. The actual Vangelis sound isn't THAT fat though :)

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

dana wrote:
11 Oct 2017
normen wrote:
11 Oct 2017
I find PolySix's saw in unison with a bit of spread and lots of RV7000 works pretty well.

Edit: Looking at my patch I actually used RV7 :) If you up the numbers of voices you get more of that "brassy" if I interpret that right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g93x5ihl89nxy ... s.cmb?dl=1
Thats really cool, i added velocity and aftertouch to the preset, added a longer release time and a different reverb (ok, its washed in reverb now, but thats the way i like it :) )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0igfgpbwiiiqc ... I.cmb?dl=0

Demo:
To be Vangelic it has to be drenched in reverb! ;)
Super

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

dana wrote:
11 Oct 2017
Because of this thread, i decided to make a v2 of a vangelis-inspired track.

Here is the reason file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujrop218u5uh6 ... eason?dl=1

Of this track (to preview):

At least now you can get a subscription to use all the rack extensions i use here if you don't have them :)
Part of the inspiration was Apocalyse des Animaux?

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

dana wrote:
11 Oct 2017

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6guvfjhganqji ... 9.cmb?dl=0
This one gets very close. Not as brassy, but very, very Vangelic.

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

jayhosking wrote:
17 Oct 2017
And because of that it nails the brassiness really well.
Quality seems to be improving as the thread goes by :)

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

normen wrote:
18 Oct 2017
pedrocaetanos wrote:
18 Oct 2017
You can also increase the spread a bit for a fatter sound. The actual Vangelis sound isn't THAT fat though :)
Yes, often his fatness comes from layering sounds, or from an aural impression coming from all the parts he puts together

pedrocaetanos

18 Oct 2017

Trefor wrote:
18 Oct 2017
pedrocaetanos wrote:
18 Oct 2017

Here's my take on it:
Wonderful sound pedrocaetanos. Which patch?
Ok, my time to contribute and then I will stop monopolizing this thread :)
I share the original Selig patch, and one from Colcifer I found near by.
I'm expecting they don't mind as they shared them publicly.
I also include my version of Selig's patch, but after reviewing it, seems after all I didn't change the envelopes, just made the reverb dryer.
And don't miss the demo video Giles made for his patch - lovely to watch (and hear!), but also doubles as a quick demo on how to make sounds like this:
Attachments
Vangelic.zip
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Colcifer's Quick and Dirty Blade Runner Lead.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Selig's Space Synth.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

• Information