100% CPU spikes, test song provided. Stress test.

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Re8et
Competition Winner

06 May 2017

In this demo song (Music copyrighted by songwriter Lucio Dalla). *I hope not to make an infringement here. just not sure if it's ok or not*

I use Aquious x4, 2x Oberon, Antidote, and Vk2, plus factory. Reason 9.2

It does not run smooth, I have spikes of 100% cpu. It all goes down to the Vk2 cpu usage. If I lower the CPU dependancies, the song run smooth.

I would like to know if anyone who can run the Kattegat test song smoothly can also run this without touching the vk2 back panel cpu switch without
the spikes when the vk2 kicks in. Otherwise the load is a constant 4 bar.

please share your hw if you can run it smoothly.

Setting cpu usage at 95% it stops at min 1:09 on mine or 2:25 at times

----------------------------
Xeon 2640 V4 - 32gb ddr4 2400- x99 SLI- Samsung 850 Evo - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Hyperthreading enabled 12 real cores.
Last edited by Re8et on 06 May 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

06 May 2017

song file .zip gives me http error
Attachments
Attenti al Lupo test.7z
(493.68 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

nooomy

06 May 2017

Re8et wrote:In this demo song (Music copyrighted by songwriter Lucio Dalla). *I hope not to make an infringement here. just not sure if it's ok or not*

It does not run smooth, I have spikes of 100% cpu. It all goes down to the Vk2 cpu usage. If I lower the CPU dependancies, the song run smooth.

I would like to know if anyone who can run the Kattegat test song smoothly can also run this without touching the vk2 back panel cpu switch without

Xeon 2640 V4 - 32gb ddr4 2400- x99 SLI- Samsung 850 Evo - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Hyperthreading enabled 12 real cores.
Aquious x4, 2x Oberon, Antidote, and Vk2,

most CPU would struggle to run that, analog emulation synths is one of the most CPU intensive program you can run

etyrnal

10 May 2017

Re8et wrote:In this demo song (Music copyrighted by songwriter Lucio Dalla). *I hope not to make an infringement here. just not sure if it's ok or not*

This is why I hate VST is. Each of VST developer assumes that they can just blast your entire CPU and that you're not going to be using any other vsts or devices. So after their VST has crushed your CPU, there's nothing left for anything else. They don't care about playing nice. If one single plugin is choking your CPU how is that productive for making music?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

aeox
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

just crank the sample rate up really high. sometimes i put mine all the way to 16000

aeox
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

sorry i mean the buffer

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

Take the release time on the VK2 envelopes down to like <1 second and also take the ENV curve to zero or -100% and try that, TBH those settings help more once notes are release rather than what is currently being played but they do have a big effect on the DSP

Karim
Competition Winner

10 May 2017

GRANDE LUCIOOOO!!!

Inviato dal mio SM-T560 utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Re8et
Competition Winner

13 May 2017

Karim wrote:GRANDE LUCIOOOO!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Lucio the Best!!!!

*I'm pretty sure I got some cpu throttling anyway, need to maximize the RAM one of these days.
I will try the curve env.
aeox wrote:just crank the sample rate up really high. sometimes i put mine all the way to 16000
You mean Hz? I wish I could go down some times.... if it's sample I'm at 256, pretty much always because I need no latency.
With a harder situation *comps and graphic eqs, fxs, etc, It is very useful.
I was just trying to play through another song, this time no cover, and it plays 1,5 secs before stopping.
I would share it but it has so many modules that it would be hard to load for everyone. :shock:

aeox
Competition Winner

26 May 2017

Re8et wrote:
Karim wrote:GRANDE LUCIOOOO!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Lucio the Best!!!!

*I'm pretty sure I got some cpu throttling anyway, need to maximize the RAM one of these days.
I will try the curve env.
aeox wrote:just crank the sample rate up really high. sometimes i put mine all the way to 16000
You mean Hz? I wish I could go down some times.... if it's sample I'm at 256, pretty much always because I need no latency.
With a harder situation *comps and graphic eqs, fxs, etc, It is very useful.
I was just trying to play through another song, this time no cover, and it plays 1,5 secs before stopping.
I would share it but it has so many modules that it would be hard to load for everyone. :shock:
oh, if you need low latency, bouncing stuff is the only option most of the time.

what i meant is that i have a really large buffer size (8192 samples or even 16384 samples) most people have 512 samples, with latency being all the way up to 400ms. all because i HATE bouncing anything to stems. i can run like 6-7 instances of VK-2 with tons of processing on each instance, without having to bounce anything. i just can't play or record anything live :)

• Information