Refills and the future

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
PurpleMonkeyDishes

30 Apr 2017

Hi All, Just wanted to start an open discussion on the topic.

After spending the last two days reading tons and tons of facebook pages / groups and various forums I have concluded a few things that could be going to happen. And I suppose I wanted to put it out there for opinion.

If we consider that without doubt Reason sales will increase now and the user base will grow I would say 10 times faster on an annual basis than "reason pre vst hype" era.

While many are concerned with the future of RE..., Refills have not had much say. For instance, Ableton Live Packs sell really well for Ableton, and with all the new users and the possible fall in spending on RE, it is feasible to say that Refill as a format (Professional refills) should start selling more and more right?

Thoughts?
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Oquasec

30 Apr 2017

The people who buy them use them, the ones who don't, don't.
Refills have been around for almost as long as vsts and sample libraries.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2017

Yes and no... depends a lot.
You can believe this is a new era for reason, but i guess as you can create refills for every reason device, the VST device should be possible too i guess... :)

PurpleMonkeyDishes

30 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:The people who buy them use them, the ones who don't, don't.
Refills have been around for almost as long as vsts and sample libraries.
Thanks but that is obvious, :) lol

mcatalao wrote:Yes and no... depends a lot.
You can believe this is a new era for reason, but i guess as you can create refills for every reason device, the VST device should be possible too i guess... :)
Yes but I suppose there is preset refills and then there is sample based refills. For example VST users in other DAWS also buy sample packs,
So by that theory Vst users in reason would buy the odd refill rather than Rack extension ? That is my thought..
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Pralijah

30 Apr 2017

For refills to keep up, maybe we need both a more powerful Combinator inside of Reason as stock as well as a new or expanded Sampler inside Reason. Maybe even a new refill standard.
But also now if another developer creates a more advanced sampler as a RE, which could be expandable with different sound libraries, refill-makers could create refills specifically for all those who have that RE sampler as it is used in the Combis, and that will live alongside as an alternative to say NI.

So, until we see where things go with Reason, one can paint both scenarious on the wall. It could mean almost end of refills, or it could mean a new possibility and flowering win-win situation. I think you are right in focusing on the new opportunities presenting itself with these new changes. I dont think refills will die off, but maybe take other turns and develop.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

kitekrazy

30 Apr 2017

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:Hi All, Just wanted to start an open discussion on the topic.

After spending the last two days reading tons and tons of facebook pages / groups and various forums I have concluded a few things that could be going to happen. And I suppose I wanted to put it out there for opinion.

If we consider that without doubt Reason sales will increase now and the user base will grow I would say 10 times faster on an annual basis than "reason pre vst hype" era.

While many are concerned with the future of RE..., Refills have not had much say. For instance, Ableton Live Packs sell really well for Ableton, and with all the new users and the possible fall in spending on RE, it is feasible to say that Refill as a format (Professional refills) should start selling more and more right?

Thoughts?

Not so sure they do. Live's library is annoying especially when installing. As for Refills and Kontakt libraries, you drop them on a drive - done. When did Refills not sell? I guess they don't in the Prop shop which is higher than 3rd party vendors. Of all of the DAWs I have most recent purchases have went towards Refills. Plus I buy sample packs with Wav/Rex and turn them into Refills.

kitekrazy

30 Apr 2017

mcatalao wrote:Yes and no... depends a lot.
No need for it.

kitekrazy

30 Apr 2017

Pralijah wrote:For refills to keep up, maybe we need both a more powerful Combinator inside of Reason as stock as well as a new or expanded Sampler inside Reason. Maybe even a new refill standard.
But also now if another developer creates a more advanced sampler as a RE, which could be expandable with different sound libraries, refill-makers could create refills specifically for all those who have that RE sampler as it is used in the Combis, and that will live alongside as an alternative to say NI.

So, until we see where things go with Reason, one can paint both scenarious on the wall. It could mean almost end of refills, or it could mean a new possibility and flowering win-win situation. I think you are right in focusing on the new opportunities presenting itself with these new changes. I dont think refills will die off, but maybe take other turns and develop.
I doubt they will ever upgrade the NN-XT considering if VST romplers/samplers work well. The NN-XT takes a lot of patience mapping instruments. It's auto mapping is no Kontakt.

Pralijah

02 May 2017

Yes, you may be right kitekrazy. interesting times ahead.
Last edited by Pralijah on 28 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Make music shake again!

bunja

12 May 2017

Refills are sample packs for a sampler as long as the sampler exsists they will although a lot o people think it should be updated

JerrelTheKing

12 May 2017

Right before they dropped the bombshell about 9.5 I was on here talking about the majesty of refills. I hope the market for Refills gets even bigger so that designers release more and more. Refills will last longer than rack extnesions. Especially when you consider what Joey said regarding VST's. Softphonics please release a Serum or Sylenth1 refill...

• Information