More background sound presence with Leveler and FET

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Loque

06 Apr 2017

There bumped up a old thread talking about Leveler to increase the background sound. I gave it a shot and played around with it in combination with FET compressor and had some interesting results. To give you a start to experiment i provide two patches. One having some extra RE like Flower Audio to have exact control over the loudness on each step and it uses Selig Gain for left/right control if required. The other one is without those RE, so you need at least Leveler and FET. The other used RE should be free.

Did i mentioned, that it is stereo splitted, so you can control mid and side separately?

By using this patches you should here an increasing presence of the sound, in mono and stereo. If the sound comes up with too much stereo you acn lower the stereo field or adjust the side volume. It works nice on several material, but not that good on mono

Have fun guys and post your opinions or similar patches. I am highly interested. Note that those patches introduce latency, regardless if you use lookahead or not, so be aware to run in pahsing problems (thats not related to the patch, but there is no delay compensation).

For those guys asking why i used Leveler and FET -> They are amazing, they are unique, they can do this AND have dry/wet control.

EDIT:
I find it very difficult to automatically adjust the levels and i think you have to adjust the controls individually regarding what kind of fx you want to achieve. So best way is to play around on the parameters and always keep the levels in focus, especially check out too much side volume. In the new patch (Front or Background Presence.zip) i reduced the side by using the Selig Gain panning control to move the sides a bit back to center. The new patch requires FET, Leveler, Gain and Flower (must have imo). Check out the audio example, what this patch can do - the loop starts without, than enabled fx.
Attachments
Front or Background Presence.zip
(4.32 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Compress.zip
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by Loque on 07 Apr 2017, edited 4 times in total.
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

06 Apr 2017

Very interesting! I I think it may be best used in parallel.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MDTerps2015

21 Apr 2017

I played around with that last night and yes you get a lot of stuff in there that you can't hear or isn't as prominent without it. Its nice and will continue to use it. I will say if we over use it, it makes errthing sound crappy.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Loque

22 Apr 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:I played around with that last night and yes you get a lot of stuff in there that you can't hear or isn't as prominent without it. Its nice and will continue to use it. I will say if we over use it, it makes errthing sound crappy.
Agree. I use it for glitchy sounds or if i want more control over the FX. Its also interesting to bring everything to a louder level and use gating FX in end of the chain, like Alig8er, Synchronious or just fast Matrix with volume control.
Reason12, Win10

• Information