Softphonics Encore Review

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Mucrafta

19 Feb 2017

Before I write my opinion about this string refill, I introduce myself with a few lines:

My name is Sascha, I'm 36 years old and I'm from the city of Essen / North Rhine Westphalia in Germany. And i make music in my free time. After nearly 10 years of break, I've been involved with music again in 2016. I have no solid music stalked direction, I do what I like from electro, dance, pop, handsup, trance to the king class (in my opinion) orchestral and film music on the computer.

Have already tried a lot of libraries and DAWs. And I finally ended up at Reason 

Oh, it's my first review! So do not complain :puf_bigsmile:

The biggest problem I have ever seen with Reason was that in the field orchestra always very badly equipped for today's conditions. Well I must say that I have worked with East West Hollywood Orchestra for a long time and am therefore very spoiled.
In the meantime, I've noticed that Reason is in the filmcore area on a good way, which is why my decision to get Reason to me even further. (Thanks to Softphonics and Impact Soundworks).

But what I've never liked are the Strings Refills for Reason, there are already a few good Rack Extension or Refills but for Orchestra or filmscore, sorry but no. In my opinion all not good. Since you have a lot of tricks and be creative to get some good strings sounds. Okay, Reason is well known, but not everyone would like to spend the whole day producing sound sound. It can be a huge effort is needed. As an example, I take the rack extension of e-instruments Stringwerk.
No question the RE is qualitatively the highest what Reason had to offer a few days ago. But it is a Chambers String library and not a full Ensemble library for the full orchestral sound. ihave alot of work to fill up the sound with much performance cost.

And now I would like to come to the library of Softphonics. Encore Refill.
I would like to say something more, almost everything negatively, which is written is complaining to the highest level.
The sound of this library surprised me. A complete ensemble with clear sound. WOW!
There are several folders in the Combinator area where you do not have to search for long.

Combinator
NNXT
Samples

The main folder of this refill is the Combinator folder where it is again divided into 5 subfolders:

1. Instruments
2. Legato Instrument Ensembles
3. Split Instruments
4. Keyswitch patches
5. Animated Instruments

The instrument folder contains all ensemble strings instruments with the most famous articulations from sustain, staccato, spiccato, pizzecato to runs, tremolo and trills. So all important articulations are available. What is not available are round robin samples which are not present in the short strings staccato, etc. Whereby through Dynamics via Modwheel in combination with Velocity is a nice compensation to get nice sound passages in the opposite set to other Refills (Miroslav etc.). So as I said complain at a high level. It has not bothered me very much, because the sound is still the best thing I have heard so far.
the integration of the player for playing chords is really good too.

The main feature of this refill is the legato patch in the 2nd folder. A slur sound is generated with the pitchwheel, they called it Re Lego. Simply put, awesome.
I spent a lot of time creating different melodies with the Cello Ensemble Patch, unfamiliar to me but I got quite fast with it. One can determine the dispersion of the instrument with the modwheel, in combination with the master Mic Botton nice dynamics in the passages. With the legato patches you have the possibility to also switch microfone position on or off with front, middle and far Mic. Nice feature.

The only one where I was disappointed was just that in the intro video solo instruments was mentioned where I just thought that the legato feature is also available for solo strings. Unfortunately no, the solo strings are only available in the NNXT folder and only in sustain, so as a small bonus to make a first chair ambience sound, for example in the cello ensemble with first chair.
:puf_unhappy:
But my hope is that there will be a solo string refill with this feature in the future. (Or Softphonics? ;-))
What I had not seen at Reason so far were Keyswitch Patches, so it was also very difficult for me to get that clear. So times you for example Cello KSW patch must keep the C0 pressed to produce sound. As I said I did not know I also very rarely use Keyswitch. Find it but very handy, as you can change the articulation in real time and not as with East West or contact player only from the next sound. So, as I said in real-time of change in tremolo, find very good.

What I had not seen at Reason so far were Keyswitch Patches, so it was also very difficult for me to get it clear. So times you for example Cello KSW patch must keep the C0 pressed to produce sound. As I said I did not know I also very rarely use Keyswitch. Find it but very handy, as you can change the articulation in real time and not as with East West or contact player only from the next sound. So, as I said in real-time of change in tremolo, find very good.

The Animated folder I have honestly not yet fully tested, since I have not yet come so far but I find the integration of the propellerhead players in this folder very well as far as I can judge. There is also an empty patch where you can create your own animation. Nice feature.

I hope I have not forgotten anything (please do not hit me :mrgreen: )

Conclusion: for me this is definitely a compulsory purchase for each of the orchestral music with Reason wants to make what you get for the price performance is simply said great, so for me the best ensemble strings refill for Reason ever, basta .
+ Really great sound
+ Many articulations
+ Re Lego Feature
+ Large selection of combi patches
+ Good integration of the players

- No round robin in the short strings
- Solo Strings sustain patches only

If I had to score points 9/10

I hope this review is ok, and makes you a little easier with the decision

thx alot and greeting from germany

Sascha :lol:

PurpleMonkeyDishes

19 Feb 2017

Nice review! I would probably add to this that the solo strings sit side by side with ensembes in the split instrument section and the solo instruments also feature in the combinator instrument section, although not in the Re Lego as you said.

Massive refill, I suspect it will be a lot more expensive when the intro period runs out and almost definitely will be more expensive via propellerhead..

Without doubt this is a must have refill
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Trefor

19 Feb 2017

A well written review. Makes me want to buy it and I don't even do a lot with orchestral sounds.

Mucrafta

19 Feb 2017

I have no solo in the instrument folder? Only in the nnxt
Folder

PurpleMonkeyDishes

19 Feb 2017

Mucrafta wrote:I have no solo in the instrument folder? Only in the nnxt
Folder
In your split instruments and your keyswitch , Violin (Singular) tens to mean individual or solo, Violins with an (s) means ensemble
On some patches the Ensembe is the bass side / left side of 88 keys and the Solo is the right side .. I think if you play around more you will see!
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

geronimo

19 Feb 2017

Are the samples looped ?

Mucrafta

19 Feb 2017

ok i look after work.

@geronimo
yes they are looped
in my song i have a violin tone thats goes straight through the track with a second violin and viola melo a bit louder.
you can hear it here

kitekrazy

20 Feb 2017

I think they do excellent work with such limitations as the NNXT.

SunSetCity

20 Feb 2017

Mucrafta wrote: you can hear it here
Hi Mucrafta,

very nice review. Thanks for that! I've bought the refill also (as most of the others from the Softphonics' ScoRe-Series) and I think, it is fantastic stuff for orchestral music.

I also like your demo song very much, it's such a beautiful piece!! It sounds, that you know how to compose and use all the articulations nicely. I haven't done anything myself yet, but I'm very curious to see, how it's done and learn from your expertise.

So, is there any chance, that you'll upload the .reason file or a video showing, how the song is done?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Cheers!!

Ashpool

20 Feb 2017

Hey Sascha,

Thanks for the nice review!

Actually, I have some mixed feelings and some good and bad experience with Softphonics' Refills. But after reading your review I thought I'll give EnCore a try and just bought it. Like you, I also agree that orchestral instruments are Reason's big weakness compared to other DAWs. Unfortunately, I don't really like to get outside of Reason and that's why I really appreciate new orchestral stuff like this.

Some more audio demos of the features would have been nice. Like the "ReLego" feature, different articulations and some dynamic melodies (I still wonder how many velocity layers the instruments have to perform more realistic melodies or if that is just managed with the modwheel).

Anyway, your review made be buy it. So, good work :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to play with it and test it myself. :puf_wink:

Mucrafta

20 Feb 2017

@ashpool:
there are not so many velocity layers thats why i am so surprised that the sound is so great. the modwheel is a bit like an filter, and it works great.

and here is an additional info for all: i count 734 combinator patches ( it could be that i missed some, because there are so many patches in the animated folder)

Softphonics

20 Feb 2017

Ashpool wrote:Hey Sascha,

Thanks for the nice review!

Actually, I have some mixed feelings and some good and bad experience with Softphonics' Refills. But after reading your review I thought I'll give EnCore a try and just bought it. Like you, I also agree that orchestral instruments are Reason's big weakness compared to other DAWs. Unfortunately, I don't really like to get outside of Reason and that's why I really appreciate new orchestral stuff like this.

Some more audio demos of the features would have been nice. Like the "ReLego" feature, different articulations and some dynamic melodies (I still wonder how many velocity layers the instruments have to perform more realistic melodies or if that is just managed with the modwheel).

Anyway, your review made be buy it. So, good work :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to play with it and test it myself. :puf_wink:
Hey Ashpool,
Is there anything I can help you with?
------
Serious Sound For Serious Producers :reason:
http://www.Softphonics.com

Softphonics

20 Feb 2017

Hey guys and gals,
I just did a quick walkthrough which may help answer some of the questions I have been seeing here.. I really hope this help :)

------

Ashpool

21 Feb 2017

Softphonics wrote:Hey Ashpool,
Hey Softphonics,

I'm not quite sure. I was still not able to get into EnCore and even had no time to check your walkthrough (which is pretty helpful I guess).

If it comes to sampled acoustic instruments, I'd usually expect a lot of velocity layers to realize a realistic dynamic phrase for example. You know, if you play an instrument quietly its character is different than if you play it loud. (e.g. if you play an acoustic bass very hard, you'll get a lot of fret noise. And even if you lower the volume it sounds totally different to an acoustic bass that is played quiet. Same can surely be said about reed noise / air and resonance for brass instruments)

That's why I am always interested to hear how many velocity layers instruments of such Refills have. This would help me to get an idea how flexible I could use the instruments. But I have noticed that EnCore is full of Combinators, so I guess it is flexible enough ;) Or is there a certain reason why there are just a few velocity layers? Refill size or anything like that?

And finally I'd wish that you would offer some demo Refills on your page. Just to get an idea if the Refill is really working for me. Sure, your walkthroughs and demo sounds are really nice and helpful but in the end everybody has it's own workflow and/or favourite music genre. Having a demo Refill and playing around with it a bit would help me to figure out if it really fits in my music.

Finally I'd like to say that I am very happy that you develop those orchestral Refills. Reason is very limited in good orchestral instruments and it is nice to see that someone is going to change that! ;) And yeah, the value for money is excellent I must say.

Have a nice day.

Softphonics

21 Feb 2017

Ashpool wrote:
Softphonics wrote:Hey Ashpool,
Hey Softphonics,

I'm not quite sure. I was still not able to get into EnCore and even had no time to check your walkthrough (which is pretty helpful I guess).

If it comes to sampled acoustic instruments, I'd usually expect a lot of velocity layers to realize a realistic dynamic phrase for example. You know, if you play an instrument quietly its character is different than if you play it loud. (e.g. if you play an acoustic bass very hard, you'll get a lot of fret noise. And even if you lower the volume it sounds totally different to an acoustic bass that is played quiet. Same can surely be said about reed noise / air and resonance for brass instruments)

That's why I am always interested to hear how many velocity layers instruments of such Refills have. This would help me to get an idea how flexible I could use the instruments. But I have noticed that EnCore is full of Combinators, so I guess it is flexible enough ;) Or is there a certain reason why there are just a few velocity layers? Refill size or anything like that?

And finally I'd wish that you would offer some demo Refills on your page. Just to get an idea if the Refill is really working for me. Sure, your walkthroughs and demo sounds are really nice and helpful but in the end everybody has it's own workflow and/or favourite music genre. Having a demo Refill and playing around with it a bit would help me to figure out if it really fits in my music.

Finally I'd like to say that I am very happy that you develop those orchestral Refills. Reason is very limited in good orchestral instruments and it is nice to see that someone is going to change that! ;) And yeah, the value for money is excellent I must say.

Have a nice day.

Hey Ashpool,
No problem I hear ya, so let me explain what we did.

The traditional way to do velocity was to add loads of layers. This is ok with unrestricted samplers but what we found lately with some of our refills was that the sample library was ending up 10 or 12 GB in size. So this is a problem when Reason only allows a maximum of 4GB worth per refill.
I tend to think this is from when refills used to be mainly sold on Disc format, but Im not sure, we have asked it to be looked at a few times..
To get around this in the past with Chambre for example we had to break it into 3 refills that feed off eachother. But newer reason users seemed to be a bit bamboozled by this method. So in order to keep the refill inside one folder we had a decision,
1- Loads of Velocity layers with really low quality small samples
2- Alternative velocity with really high quality samples.

We went with the later this time, and decided to program dynamics instead, including getting rid of the traditional pitch wheel in favor of other inventive options. We certainly feel that this is a viable option, sure you only have to hear some of the tracks that have been made using Encore already, (We get sent tunes) amazing!
Getting used to either playing the added controls or automating them may be easier for some traditionists that others, but innovation is the road to progress when met with limitations by the mother program. That would be our take on things. As sound designers we don't like to compromise on sound quality and we didn't, anyone who has played the refill through thier studio monitors will know exactly what I mean by that.
Essentially we are Reason heads too! We could just drop everything and go back to Reaktor or Kontakt, but the charm of reason is inside us too, and we want to stick to the path we are on.

Hope that helps explain from our end,
------

Ostermilk

21 Feb 2017

I pulled the trigger in the end and I've got to add, it is clearly well thought out to specifically play well alongside Reason's advantages and shortcomings. I should also mention that I really like the way the 'programmed' dynamics are handled here as the obvious velocity 'steps' often found in libraries short of a few hundred Gb's worth are refreshingly absent so I reckon Softphonics have made a good call on this aspect.

The combi's are built around 45? or so NN-XT instruments, which cover all the articulations you'd expect from the 4 standard members of the violin family. All the sounds are lush, full and rich and will likely stand up to all sorts of severe mangling for those inclined to that kind of behaviour... :D. The sampler instruments and samples themselves are easily accessible too which make it very flexible for further tweaking as well.

Anyone who uses orchestral strings in Reason alongside those who are thinking of dabbling with them ought to own this, as you are unlikely to ever see a better sounding string library in ReFill form. A genuine bargain for anyone looking for a set of very usable strings within the Reason ecosystem regardless of how you would define what constitutes a unique combinator as all the Combi's you actually need to make this a great string library are indeed included... ;)
Last edited by Ostermilk on 21 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Ashpool

21 Feb 2017

Softphonics wrote:Hope that helps explain from our end,
Yes, perfectly!
Thanks for your detailed answer! :thumbs_up:

Can't wait to test this.
Maybe TimbRe is next ;)

Mucrafta

21 Feb 2017

here is a new demo track. first at all i look an tutorial video on youtube (project sam)
my idea was to learn how to use the refills from softphonics ( encore, timbre embouchure epic beatre) soundiron ( choir micro) and new loops (percussion multisamples) to get that sound. ( i´m not a Pro)
i hope you like it.
and i use on instance of project sam rack extension for layering the brass chords.

in woods and brass section i use the pitchwheel to get legato slur.

so i hope u like it. And YES Its complete REASON no external Stuff
Last edited by Mucrafta on 21 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

geronimo

21 Feb 2017

Embouchure trumpets are a little"raw", I think: it seems to me to recognize them, on the final _

Mucrafta

21 Feb 2017

Japp i hear it. Thx

have changed it :-)

EpicScore

28 Feb 2017

I fully agree with your review! Let's try to blend it with SAm Re and Stringwerks.

markhansaven

14 Mar 2018

Okay, so I have to step in here and say a few things and I believe this will be extremely helpful for people trying to get a more real string sound in reason. About myself, I have worked with Reason exclusively for over 10 years now and have focused quite a lot of my efforts on achieving two things: A decent string sound, and a decent distortion rhythm guitar sound for metal tracks.

There is a pro point to be made about this library and a con point to be made that is in theory fixable with a little bit of sound work.

1) For the pro, the greatest pro about this library is the 'true legato'. I don't actually know that it is a true legato, but it is by far the key highlight in the library.

2) For the cons...

There are two aspects to sound, and to a trained ear you can hear this pretty easily. The first is how a legato sound evolves over time, and the second is the transition between notes. many GBs can be spent (for 8dio strings 26GB JUST for the violins) to deal with these issues.

Fixing the Legato Problems

The first problem with this library that can be fixed with a little bit of work is the legato. You may not hear it immediately, but if you compared it with a library like spitfire or 8dio, which I personally believe are the best on the market today sound wise, you get this problem of 'dull' sound when you hold a legato note for a little while due to the looping of the audio.

The ear can recognize this. There is a solution. Layer the string sound with Reasons Orkestor violin section harmonics for the softer parts. This is something in a combinator that Softponics should consider doing. Make it so that when you raise the mod wheel it starts to mix the two together, and when you're all the way up on the mod wheel at full blast there is no violin harmonic section strings playing.

These types of legato strings do not work well with fast passages, and you cannot use this kind of stuff for lead melody or high violins well due to it not having true legato or portamento slide, but Softponics library accomplishes this, so you can blend it with this type of technique.

Fixing the Staccato Problems

This is EASILY fixed. Just add the round robin yourself for now, Softponics should of course add this feature themselves in the future though... Simply go into Reason and double each sample, then turn the ALT knob on after selecting the two samples that overlap.

This will have the disadvantage of stretching each sample, however the result will be great with a low file and memory size. Here is the technique used on a small string cover with lower quality samples as Reason has:

More Legato Problems Fixed

Another solution you can make use of it using a dynamic filter frequency along with dynamic reverb. Add a filter frequency and pull the knob back ever so slightly while recording and pushing it forward. Do the same with a Wet/Dry on the RV7000 reverb unit (think that's what it's called not sure). Your sound will come out something like this:

The above technique uses only the solo violin found in the orkestor library. It sounds great to my ear personally and people have thought it's real. This is not because it sounds exactly like a real violin, but more so because we are mimicing natural sound. When you pull the high frequencies back with a high frequency filter we are muffling the sound and lowering the volume but also shaping the sound wave.

In Conclusion.

So, to conclude, the library is great in the true legato but lacks in the legato sustained samples as all string libraries do, and needs round robin patches which would literally take like <5 minutes to implement for each patch.

The goal is to have no two moments in where the sound wave loops or is the same and you will have a natural sound, period! With 8dio strings this is achieved by simply recording long ass samples which means GB upon GB of memory used. With the above solo violin, it uses nothing but CPU memory because the work is all in dynamic reverb and the filter.

As a side note, a dynamic high pass filter frequency will not work well with section string samples, they will start to sound synthetic, but with layering in THEORY maybe. You just need to have morphing legato strings.

• Information