Kong or ReDrum

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
SampleScience

24 Jan 2017

I'm fairly new to Reason and I'm in the process of creating a Drum Kit ReFill. I'm wondering, what's better for drum kits in Reason: Kong or ReDrum?

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2017

Each has it's attributes. ReDrum has a Sequencer so is more immediate for classic drum machine gratification. Kong is more of everything except a sequencer - which you can CV in from ReDrum anyway.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

fotizimo

24 Jan 2017

Benedict wrote:Each has it's attributes. ReDrum has a Sequencer so is more immediate for classic drum machine gratification. Kong is more of everything except a sequencer - which you can CV in from ReDrum anyway.

:)
As well with Kong, there are options for timbre synthesis which Redrum cannot offer. Redrum can only use sampled sounds as the basis for its kits.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

SampleScience

25 Jan 2017

Humm... I'm mapping 8-bit chitune drums, so I think ReDrum will be enough. Kong might be overkill for that type of samples.

Thanks guys!

ejanuska

25 Jan 2017

You can put both Kong and Redrums in a refill. And the samples if desired.
Just sayin

mreese80

25 Jan 2017

Kong is a beast. if you want to use a sequencer with kong cv the redrum with it.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

SampleScience

26 Jan 2017

ejanuska wrote:You can put both Kong and Redrums in a refill. And the samples if desired.
Just sayin
Yeah, I thought about doing that, just for the sake of convenience. That might be the smartest thing to do business wise. :refill:

mreese80

07 Feb 2017

Kong all day man. It's a beast
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

dustmoses

08 Feb 2017

Kong because you can mix the drums somewhat without wiring it up.

At the end of the day I usually send the drums to separate tracks but it's nice to get the drums somewhat good early on.

Libraquaricorn

09 Feb 2017

I wish the redrum sequencer could be extended to 4 lanes. It would not take up much space and it would improve wokflow massively.

tobypearce

10 Feb 2017

Here's a simple combinator so that gives you the best of both worlds.

It uses Redrum to control Kong. Each Redrum channel controls a different Pad in 10. Just select Redrum 1 through to 10 and sequence 10 pads in Kong.
Since Redrum is a Props device you can copy the drum patterns to the sequencer for even further control later.
Attachments
☆ Kong+.cmb.zip
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

tobypearce

10 Feb 2017

Libraquaricorn wrote:I wish the redrum sequencer could be extended to 4 lanes. It would not take up much space and it would improve wokflow massively.

+1 for that suggestion.

In fact, I'd just love a new device that was simply the lower section of Redrum, but showing multiple lanes at once, with gate outs to control different pads in Kong. FL Studio has always implemented this very well - it's something I miss from that DAW.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 07.46.37.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 07.46.37.png (117.05 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

OverneathTheSkyBridg

15 Feb 2017

tobypearce wrote:
Libraquaricorn wrote:I wish the redrum sequencer could be extended to 4 lanes. It would not take up much space and it would improve wokflow massively.

+1 for that suggestion.

In fact, I'd just love a new device that was simply the lower section of Redrum, but showing multiple lanes at once, with gate outs to control different pads in Kong. FL Studio has always implemented this very well - it's something I miss from that DAW.
This is why I bought System 9.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last Alternative

27 Feb 2017

I stopped using Redrum when Kong came out. It's awesome.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

SoundStruggler

02 Mar 2017

I like to use Kong for kicks, snares and claps since they often requires layering/mixing to sound good, and use ReDrum for other drum sounds. For hihats I may add Scream 4 with tape and for percussion just a little bit of reverb.

selig
RE Developer

02 Mar 2017

Don't forget the NNXT for drums. ReFills like the Ryan Green Alt Drums uses NNXTs exclusively for their kits, as do many others I'm sure. That would probably be my approach if I were building a larger drum ReFill.

Also worth considering - a full featured ReFill may have some of each included. ReDrum for the simple kits, Kong for larger kits and synth drums, and NNXT for the larger super-layered kits (especially those needing more than 16 instruments/drums per kit).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

bitley

02 Mar 2017

There's such a nice thing just to get a groove going with ReDrum. I really wish Kong had a sequencer on its own. The workarounds are totally OK but an internal seq on it would make it feel more "MPC", which would be lovely.

ejanuska

05 Mar 2017

bitley™ wrote:There's such a nice thing just to get a groove going with ReDrum. I really wish Kong had a sequencer on its own. The workarounds are totally OK but an internal seq on it would make it feel more "MPC", which would be lovely.
You could always use 16 Matrix sequencers and run the Gate CV outputs to the Kong Gate In. (Although possible, that's really a joke)
Or just buy Propulsion.

bitley

05 Mar 2017

Absolutely but no I would like it to work like more like an MPC. But maybe it will when Reason becomes an iPad app. Must happen sooner or later. :)

Oquasec

06 Mar 2017

Kong uses the piano roll or other sequencing modules.
Not sure how I'd go about using a kong wired to a redrum, then... routing that to the matrix.
Might have to make a combi if I get that down pat.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ejanuska

06 Mar 2017

An example. Its great for layering drum sounds, if you're into that.

See attached.
Attachments
Eds Multi-Matrix Kong & ReDrum Setup.zip
Combi using Matrices, Kong, Redrum
(90.27 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

• Information