PSQ-1684 Combinator Song patch download

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
ejanuska

17 Dec 2016

On the combi front panel:
1. Set Run Pattern Devices to on.
2. Press Run (Button 4).
3. Twist knobs on combi (optional).

Don't engage the transport.

It's meant to demo how to build a complete song using only stock rack equipment and the PSQ-1684.
Attachments
Epic Song Maker [Run].zip
(97.33 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

MitchClark89

18 Dec 2016

thank u ejanuska i am interested to learn more about cv but i dont have the psq but maybe one day!

ejanuska

18 Dec 2016

MitchClark89 wrote:thank u ejanuska i am interested to learn more about cv but i dont have the psq but maybe one day!
Don't let that stop you.
There are plenty of thing to do without it the PSQ-1684.

Catblack

19 Dec 2016

Amazing patch!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

mataya

19 Dec 2016

Yeah this is great. I mean the song sucks, but the point has been made.
I'm trying to learn more with PSQ every day since I bought it.
It's really a unique piece of gear inside reason.
If you catch a minute or two, maybe you could try and explain how does PSQ work in this setup. Would appreciate it a lot.

tx sir
Mataya

ejanuska

20 Dec 2016

mataya wrote:Yeah this is great. I mean the song sucks...

Mataya
Yeah I guess it does. :|

ejanuska

20 Dec 2016

mataya wrote: If you catch a minute or two, maybe you could try and explain how does PSQ work in this setup. Would appreciate it a lot.
The PSQ CV1 signal feeding the combinator is using the 32 sequencer outputs to select a patterns on the Redrum and Matrix devices. It starts playing Matrix and Redrum pattern A1 and iterates over all 32 patterns during playback.
This could have been done by programming less patches on the Redrums and Matrix and using less PSQ sequencer slots, but I chose this way for maximum flexibility. For example it would be harder to play a break like the one at Pattern C3 & C4 and not overplay it using only 8 or 16 sequencer slots.

The PSQ Rate is set slow to let a measure play between advancing the pattern sequence.

By selecting different Redrum patterns, different lead or bass Thors are selected, but any synth with an appregiator will work.
The RR3 Drums Redrum is just playing drum patterns as selected by PSQ S1.
The RR4 Decor is just there to add accents or embellishments, the gate outputs could drive anything.

The PSQ Run output feeds the combinator which in turn enable the patterns on the Redrums to play when the PSQ is running.

The Matrix devices are for CV note information, but the notes are quantized to the notes specified in the PSQ Q1 and Q2.

The three PSQ Grid Outputs are feeding pads triggered at different times throughout the sequence.

I did modulate some synth and other parameters with Pulsars, but I didn't go nuts with effects, that is beyond the scope of this demonstration.

mataya

20 Dec 2016

Haha, did not want to be rude. Just funny. :)

Thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now and must say very creative. Great!

M

WongoTheSane

20 Dec 2016

Amazing!! This thing is doing breaks, fills and variations on its own! I've been listening to it for a solid ten minutes and there are still effects I'm hearing for the first time. In a blind test, I would have sworn this was human-arranged, so you pass the Turing test with flying colors! Superb, impressive and inspiring work, ejanuska.

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Dec 2016

Longest track ever, I'm 2 days in....

ejanuska

23 Dec 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:Amazing!! This thing is doing breaks, fills and variations on its own! I've been listening to it for a solid ten minutes and there are still effects I'm hearing for the first time. In a blind test, I would have sworn this was human-arranged, so you pass the Turing test with flying colors! Superb, impressive and inspiring work, ejanuska.
Thanks

ejanuska

23 Dec 2016

rcbuse wrote:Longest track ever, I'm 2 days in....
Now, see what you've done?

Joerg

01 Jan 2017

Awesome! Very cool patch.

• Information