Way Beyond Fairlight Refill…Impressions?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
The_G

19 Jan 2016

Hi Everyone,

I'm posted to see if anyone has opinions, one way or another, about the Way Beyond Fairlight refill. I'm considering it for a synthwave/new retro wave project, but it's fairly expensive (for a refill) and so would like to ask around first to see if it's worth the money.

If you have used it, what are its strengths/weaknesses? Are there alternative refills you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

tronam

19 Jan 2016

I'm not aware of anything on the market more comprehensive than WBF for these types of sounds. It's kind of the gold standard, regardless of DAW or platform. Aside from that, one of my favorite refill developers is http://www.soundcells.de. They're refills aren't specifically geared toward synthwave, but several of them could potentially work well in that context like bitBumper, Digital Genome, Polysix Signature, Analog Signature, Simple Sampling etc... They all have downloadable demos and well worth exploring.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

The_G

19 Jan 2016

tronam wrote:I'm not aware of anything on the market more comprehensive than WBF for these types of sounds. It's kind of the gold standard, regardless of DAW or platform. Aside from that, one of my favorite refill developers is http://www.soundcells.de. They're refills aren't specifically geared toward synthwave, but several of them could potentially work well in that context like bitBumper, Digital Genome, Polysix Signature, Analog Signature, Simple Sampling etc... They all have downloadable demos and well worth exploring.
Thank you! Seems like WBF is something I should look into purchasing. In the meantime, I think I'm going to get that Polysix Signature refill. Just listened to the demo and it sounds fantastic.

[Btw, I use Polysix, ReDominator and Aurora synth REs.]
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

tronam

19 Jan 2016

The_G wrote:
tronam wrote:I'm not aware of anything on the market more comprehensive than WBF for these types of sounds. It's kind of the gold standard, regardless of DAW or platform. Aside from that, one of my favorite refill developers is http://www.soundcells.de. They're refills aren't specifically geared toward synthwave, but several of them could potentially work well in that context like bitBumper, Digital Genome, Polysix Signature, Analog Signature, Simple Sampling etc... They all have downloadable demos and well worth exploring.
Thank you! Seems like WBF is something I should look into purchasing. In the meantime, I think I'm going to get that Polysix Signature refill. Just listened to the demo and it sounds fantastic.

[Btw, I use Polysix, ReDominator and Aurora synth REs.]
I haven't had a chance to check out Aurora yet, but Polysix and ReDom are fantastic. No matter how I program them they always have that "vintage" vibe. Perfect synths for retro new wave.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

lowpryo

19 Jan 2016

if you want a genuinely retro sound, it's 100% worth it. probably the most unique refill in terms of achieving retro timbres that can't be emulated any other way. it's a blast!

mreese80

19 Jan 2016

The_G wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm posted to see if anyone has opinions, one way or another, about the Way Beyond Fairlight refill. I'm considering it for a synthwave/new retro wave project, but it's fairly expensive (for a refill) and so would like to ask around first to see if it's worth the money.

If you have used it, what are its strengths/weaknesses? Are there alternative refills you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!
let me be the one to tell you. i have this and a few others. they are the best refills. anything bitley makes is 100%.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

anko

19 Jan 2016

the amount and quality of sounds in this refill are top notch. absolutely worth it.

The_G

19 Jan 2016

Okay, you guys sold me--I bit the bullet and made the purchase! Now eagerly awaiting the download link...

The_G

19 Jan 2016

Holy ****.

This is awesome.

mreese80

20 Jan 2016

The_G wrote:Holy ****.

This is awesome.
i told ya man. i have the WBF, the XXL and the Platinum. Best refills. Honestly, these are all you need man. IMO
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

bitley

20 Jan 2016

A lovely surprise finding this thread! :) I love you guys!!! Many thanks!!!

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2016

The_G wrote:... but it's fairly expensive (for a refill) and so would like to ask around first to see if it's worth the money ...
Ooh no, those are more than just Refills, believe you me. Those patches were the first time I felt like my keyboard was alive. So I dived in and learned a great deal about patch design.

bitley

09 Apr 2016

I'd like to report that I had a user who wanted WBF R2 for Reason 5 and I said full functionality couldn't be guaranteed, but he jumped on the train anyway and reported back; it's working flawlessly! So that might be of interest to people with an older Reason version.

bitley

09 Apr 2016

mreese80 wrote:
The_G wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!
let me be the one to tell you. i have this and a few others. they are the best refills. anything bitley makes is 100%.
:clap: Many thanks, maestro! I work hard!

bitley

12 Apr 2016

FYI: website re-designed and WBF R2 info updated with a listing of all categories of the NNXT and Combinator patches. I hope people will find this new design easier to comprehend!

mreese80

17 Apr 2016

bitley™ wrote:FYI: website re-designed and WBF R2 info updated with a listing of all categories of the NNXT and Combinator patches. I hope people will find this new design easier to comprehend!

Do you have any tubular bells? I'm talking about those loud, strong, church bell ones. lol. There be some in these refills of yours i have. But there are so many sounds man

bitley

17 Apr 2016

Hmmm... if you check among the bell combi sounds and play low notes, there might be something to approximate that especially if you layer a few similar ones, or do a sequence with different patches doing different things.

I do think there are tubular bells from the CMI too but they might be a bit lofi, but use Scream to distort, EQ... add reverb and perhaps one more Scream for the wonderful tape compression it can do.

I'd love to experiment with this too but taking care of kids here today! :)

- Wake up the Boris Blank inside of you ;)

bitley

14 Jun 2016

Hi guys, is WBF R2 too expensive? It has actually been lowered from $199 to $99!

I would like to remind you that it comes with 4 000 patches.

I honestly need your orders!

Please help out!

tt_lab

14 Jun 2016

What about the updates from wbf to r2? are they going to be on sale too?

bitley

14 Jun 2016

They already are. :-)

tt_lab

14 Jun 2016

Oh...thx!

bitley

15 Jun 2016

dancing fool

16 Jun 2016

How can i update my wbf to wbf r2?

bitley

16 Jun 2016

Thanks for asking! During the sale the upgrades have been disabled. I can't lower the upgrade prices. They're normally around (or in some cases above) the current sale price.

Dante

16 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Hi guys, is WBF R2 too expensive? It has actually been lowered from $199 to $99!

I would like to remind you that it comes with 4 000 patches.

I honestly need your orders!

Please help out!
Im ready to order as soon as I don't have to use PayPal !

• Information