Rack Hacks

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
raccoonboy

12 Dec 2015

Here's an idea.

Let's all post our 'Rack Hacks'. Otherwise known as patches that are not specifically sound design but add functionality to Reason. For example, quirky workarounds for workflow or patches that change how MIDI notes are played. Utility patches if you will. Most patch resources I've seen seem to be based around cool sounds.

As a relatively new Reason user it would be great to see what kind of other things people have come up with and would be cool to have a bunch of these all in the once place.

Youtube tutorials would be great, definetly include combinator patches.

The only rules is to use as few non-free Rack Extensions as possible, but obviously if there is no other option then that is fine but please list all REs used in your posts.

Here are 2 from me:

TITLE:
Note retrigger.

PURPOSE:
If you have an external synth which only has legato mode (i.e. Korg MS-20) and would like to be able to retrigger notes on every keypress even if you're played notes overlap.

RACK EXTENSIONS:
The Chronologists - Truth

COMBINATOR:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4951008294

TITLE:
Duophonic Thor.

PURPOSE:
If you want to use Thor like an Duophonic synth. i.e. Pressing ONE key plays both oscillators. When two keys are pressed, the second oscilator changes pitch but no other change takes place. No new envelopes are triggered, both oscilators share the same amp and filter envelopes.

First note priority.
Hold Osc2 button can be turned off which will have Osc2's pitch match that of Osc1 on key release.

RACK EXTENSIONS:
The Chronologit's - Truth
Pongasoft: A/B Audio & CV Switch (FREE)

COMBINATOR:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 9067156348

I look forward to seeing what tricks you guys have up your sleeves. Also. I'll replace my links with something a bit more permenant at some point once I find a decent service to use.
Last edited by raccoonboy on 13 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

12 Dec 2015

sounds like good ideas but don't have truth yet
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

benjified

05 May 2018

raccoonboy wrote:
12 Dec 2015

TITLE:
Duophonic Thor.

PURPOSE:
If you want to use Thor like an Duophonic synth. i.e. Pressing ONE key plays both oscillators. When two keys are pressed, the second oscilator changes pitch but no other change takes place. No new envelopes are triggered, both oscilators share the same amp and filter envelopes.

First note priority.
Hold Osc2 button can be turned off which will have Osc2's pitch match that of Osc1 on key release.

RACK EXTENSIONS:

COMBINATOR:

I look forward to seeing what tricks you guys have up your sleeves. Also. I'll replace my links with something a bit more permenant at some point once I find a decent service to use.
I would like to try out your duophonic Thor patch but your link is expired (reasonable considering it's been a few years). Reupload?

artotaku

05 May 2018

TITLE:
Quantized In-memory Instrument Patch Switch

PURPOSE:
You want to switch between instrument patch/settings of a complex synth e. g. Antidote (with more properties than can be addressed by a combinator or by direct input CV) in a live performance scenario in a time accurate, quantized way.

The trick is to use a bunch of EMIs, Advanced MIDI device and a Virtual MIDI loopback driver. Send up to 24 parameters from a Volt-SL1 (or more if multiple Volt-SL1 are used) as MIDI CC via virtual MIDI loopback driver to a target instrument.

It´s a hack and has its downsides - the setup is cumbersome but it works quite nicely.

RACK EXTENSIONS:
Zvork Volt-SL1

OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Virtual MIDI loopback driver

COMBINATOR (example works for Antidote):
volt-sl1-antidote-midi-control.zip
(4.99 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

raccoonboy

07 May 2018

benjified wrote:
05 May 2018
raccoonboy wrote:
12 Dec 2015

TITLE:
Duophonic Thor.

PURPOSE:

First note priority.

RACK EXTENSIONS:

COMBINATOR:

I would like to try out your duophonic Thor patch but your link is expired (reasonable considering it's been a few years). Reupload?
I forgot I made this to be honest. I'll have a look for it and see if I can find it. I'm sure I will.

I still like the idea of 'rack hacks' and wish more people would add some to this thread.

I'm glad we have a new contributor (above). I know some people have made their own threads, for example for that drum sequencer I forget the name of, to get it to send to midi. But it would be nice to have all of these ideas in one place. There is some really cool things you can do with Reason that the designers would have never anticipated, almost like programming sometimes but with a load of cables. Love it!

raccoonboy

07 May 2018

benjified wrote:
05 May 2018
raccoonboy wrote:
12 Dec 2015

TITLE:
Duophonic Thor.

PURPOSE:

First note priority.

RACK EXTENSIONS:

COMBINATOR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwo801eln3jz2 ... c.cmb?dl=0

let me know if this link works...

Also what you think of the duophony. I've never played a truly duophonic synth, so I'm only basing it on how I've heard it acts.

You need the Truth rack extension which aint free, but you can always trial it. It's a handy RE (although has one or two minor bugs which will never be fixed :( ) but there should be no bugs in this patch.

benjified

08 May 2018

Thanks, the link worked. I have the Korg ODYSSEi app and I just downloaded a demo of Gforce Oddity2. They also can play in poly mode so I haven't always used duo mode. It's hard for me to describe so I suggest getting the Oddity2 demo and play around with it. I may not have a chance to try out your combinator patch tonight but hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again.

raccoonboy

15 May 2018

benjified wrote:
08 May 2018
Thanks, the link worked. I have the Korg ODYSSEi app and I just downloaded a demo of Gforce Oddity2. They also can play in poly mode so I haven't always used duo mode. It's hard for me to describe so I suggest getting the Oddity2 demo and play around with it. I may not have a chance to try out your combinator patch tonight but hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again.
Cool, let me know if you check it out. I'll give the demo a go at some point too. cheers

• Information