Sound design help request

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

Hello all. I'm a total noob at sound design and am terrible at it, but was recently spurred to dive in because of one sound in particular, the featured sound on The Fugees "Ready or Not." It's literally the first sound heard on the track and continues throughout. Kind of a slow attack, haunting, ethereal, warm, slightly hooverish sound.

Here's a youtube clip of the track:

Can anyone help me to make this? I've got most of the most popular synths (predator, antidote, Parsec) and of course stock devices. To be honest, even if someone could make it with devices I don't own I'd be tempted to buy them to recreate it. I want it that bad.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, if you're not into hip-hop and don't know the Fugees album "The Score," it's the greatest hip hop album of all time in my opinion.

submonsterz

18 Sep 2015

was not an instrument as such as far as I remember it was a sample from Enya they took maybe if I remember right Boadicea yup it certainly was ;) link to Enya.
just create Enyas instrument and sample it. or sample hers job done bit of fiddling with filters etc youll get exactly what they had. stick into nn19 or nnxt

they skanked the instrument and vocal.
and you can try suss out which instrument made the sound itself out of these she used a lot but id say the last one probally was the synth used.

Juno 60, DX7, Emulator II and Kurzweil
Last edited by submonsterz on 18 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Exowildebeest

18 Sep 2015

Fat analog detuned saws I think, with proper filtering. Beautiful sound.

bpmorton

18 Sep 2015

I have a song that I used a vocal sample I made form the a capella version of "Leave It" by Yes. At some point you gotta ditch using these samples because it's a copyright infringement so I replaced the sample with a Vecto patch I made. It's possible to replace that vocal sound with something you already have.

odarmonix

18 Sep 2015

Sounds totally like a typical Juno sound to me. Here's a very quick attempt using Thor, I may be able to come up with a Redominator version later : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 20Not.thor

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

submonsterz wrote:was not an instrument as such as far as I remember it was a sample from Enya they took maybe if I remember right Boadicea yup it certainly was ;)
Thanks for the tip man. If need be I may end up going that route, but hopefully I can find a way to get that sound (or something like it) without opening myself up to lawsuits (since I'll obviously end up having a huge hit (haha)).

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

odarmonix wrote:Sounds totally like a typical Juno sound to me. Here's a very quick attempt using Thor, I may be able to come up with a Redominator version later : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 20Not.thor
Thanks man. I look forward to trying this out tonight. I have Redominator as well from the synthetic rig so if you can get closer with that I'd love to hear it.

odarmonix

18 Sep 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Thanks man. I look forward to trying this out tonight. I have Redominator as well from the synthetic rig so if you can get closer with that I'd love to hear it.
Funnily enough I can't seem to get any closer with Redominator. :lol: Not just because of the lack of on-board FX, the Juno 60 has been listed above as one of Enya's synths, not exactly the same thing as the Alpha Juno 1/2 which Redominator is precisely designed to recreate.

You can still get the Redominator version here if you want a different flavor : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... om.repatch The Thor version has been slightly improved as well.

joeyluck

18 Sep 2015

Ahhh yes... This is from back in the day when folks thought that all the world was 'Discover' and that any artist publishing music was certainly looking for someone else to add something to it haha. People still sample small fragments and try to get away with it, but when someone pretty much just lays something over an entire song, it's hilarious.

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Damn, that just makes my heart hurt. So damned beautiful. FUCK! ME!

decibel

18 Sep 2015

that was a great album, good time for hiphop ;)

TheFesta

18 Sep 2015

You mean the synth under the vocal sample - sounds like two saws slightly detuned filtered down with a bit of release.

Try this thor patch, did it from memory but its close i think.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/09 ... 409/7f2c13
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

bpmorton

18 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Ahhh yes... This is from back in the day when folks thought that all the world was 'Discover' and that any artist publishing music was certainly looking for someone else to add something to it haha. People still sample small fragments and try to get away with it, but when someone pretty much just lays something over an entire song, it's hilarious.
What they did on top of the sample was great. I'm a loss as to why they needed to keep the sample there and not replace it with some keyboards or something original.

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

odarmonix wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:Thanks man. I look forward to trying this out tonight. I have Redominator as well from the synthetic rig so if you can get closer with that I'd love to hear it.
Funnily enough I can't seem to get any closer with Redominator. :lol: Not just because of the lack of on-board FX, the Juno 60 has been listed above as one of Enya's synths, not exactly the same thing as the Alpha Juno 1/2 which Redominator is precisely designed to recreate.

You can still get the Redominator version here if you want a different flavor : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... om.repatch The Thor version has been slightly improved as well.
Thanks man. The Thor one sounds great. For whatever reason the Redominator one just brings up a white screen with a bunch of code text on it. I appreciate the Thor one though and will definitely get some good use out of it.

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

TheFesta wrote:You mean the synth under the vocal sample - sounds like two saws slightly detuned filtered down with a bit of release.

Try this thor patch, did it from memory but its close i think.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/09 ... 409/7f2c13
This is great man, and impressive work to have done from memory. I appreciate the time and will make some good use out of this. Put a little Vector over the top and I'll have the whole thing rocking.

JNeffLind

18 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:
I'm seriously going to listen to this every day until the day I die. Can't believe I'd never heard the original.

odarmonix

18 Sep 2015

JNeffLind wrote:
odarmonix wrote:Thanks man. The Thor one sounds great. For whatever reason the Redominator one just brings up a white screen with a bunch of code text on it. I appreciate the Thor one though and will definitely get some good use out of it.
Also happens on my end for some reason I can't explain. Try selecting "save as" in your browser's file menu whenever you get a bunch of text with files hosted on Dropbox and you should be able to download it.

satyr32

23 Sep 2015

I can highly recommend this sound design/synth tutorial app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/syntori ... 61240?mt=8
Even for me with advanced knowledge in sound design it was very helpful, because it trains your ears to hear out parameters of a synth sound.
it is a bit pricey with 130 dollar, but you can check out the first few topic for free and it is really worth the money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Arrant
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2015

Isn't that sound based on Enya's vocals? Chorused and filtered. Hard to recreate in a synth

eXode

27 Sep 2015

Here's my quick and dirty interpretation for Antidote (only the synth sound in the background, not the voices). I used a Juno 6/60/106 ish kind of setup approach.
Attachments
PD-Boadicea_EX.zip
Boadicea interpretation for Antidote
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Last edited by eXode on 29 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

faun2500

27 Sep 2015

love that fugees track!
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

JNeffLind

01 Oct 2015

eXode wrote:Here's my quick and dirty interpretation for Antidote (only the synth sound in the background, not the voices). I used a Juno 6/60/106 ish kind of setup approach.
Thanks man. I'll check it out. I appreciate the time.

JNeffLind

01 Oct 2015

satyr32 wrote:I can highly recommend this sound design/synth tutorial app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/syntori ... 61240?mt=8
Even for me with advanced knowledge in sound design it was very helpful, because it trains your ears to hear out parameters of a synth sound.
it is a bit pricey with 130 dollar, but you can check out the first few topic for free and it is really worth the money.
That may be worth an investment in the future. Only so many hours in the day though (and so many great presets!)

Benedict
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2015

IMO it is definitely doable with Thor or Sub. The real vibe is from the choruses and delays (oh and Enya's layers of voice tracks/samples).

Create a Combi after your synth and insert two Echos, each wired in Mono (one for Left and one for Right).
Shift-Inset a Thor (no wiring) and turn off all OSC & Filters as it won't be playing notes.
Set LFO 2 Rate to 0
Route Rotary 1 > LFO 2 Rate
Route LFO 2 > 32 > CV Out 1 > 100 > Rotary 2
Route LFO 2 > -32 > CV Out 2 > 100 > Rotary 2
Wire CVs 1 & 2 to each of the Echo Delay Time In
Set both Echos to 32ms (turn off Sync) and Feedback to 0
In the Combi programmer Assign Rotary 1 & 2 to Thor's Rotary ! & 2, Assign Rotary 4 to both Echo's Mix
Save the Combi as a Patch

You now have Chorus I from a Juno, set knobs to taste. If you instert a second instance of the Juno Chorus and set one to faster than the other you have a full Juno style Chorus ensemble.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information