Question about "author" of some FSB stuff

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

Hey all. I've been auditioning lots of drum loops lately and have really been finding some of the "Bomb Squad (BSQ)" from the FSB working well with my music. There are about ten sets of loops in the FSB but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find more by this same producer or find something similar in style/tone.

I found this via google: http://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/871
It's for "Bomb Squad - Tactical Beats and Sample Artillery" but to my ear at least the sample loops provided don't seem similar to what I found in the FSB. These loopmaster loops sound like they're a bit more geared towards electronic music whereas the FSB stuff sounds like it's more hip hop oriented.

I'm also a bit hesitant because "Bomb Squad" is a great (if obvious) name for a hip-hop group/production company so I'm guessing there have been about a million guys that have used it at one time or another.

If no one knows where to find more by the FSB Bomb Squad guy, can anyone recommend some good rex loops focusing on hip hop beats (meaning percussion and scratches only, maybe some sampled words, but no bass line or chords, no synths, etc. Just rhythm tracks that I can put over my own music regardless of the key.)

p.s. If you feel like telling me I'm corny or cheesy or whatever for wanting sampled scratches, save your energy. I'm neither corny or cheesy. I'm 100% meat. I just prefer to spend my energy writing lyrics/music and using loops for drums/percussion/etc.

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

Ok I deleted my first reply because I'm just a stupid drunk ass running in circles. I just wanted to say that you will feel a greater sense of accomplishment if you write/program your own rhythms. So much knowledge on the YouTubey alone. Anyways...if you want to take some shortcuts which I highly DON'T recommend, then you can try Prime Loops, Loopmasters, Looperman, Producerloops, SoundsToSample, etc. G'night.

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:Ok I deleted my first reply because I'm just a stupid drunk ass running in circles. I just wanted to say that you will feel a greater sense of accomplishment if you write/program your own rhythms. So much knowledge on the YouTubey alone. Anyways...if you want to take some shortcuts which I highly DON'T recommend, then you can try Prime Loops, Loopmasters, Looperman, Producerloops, SoundsToSample, etc. G'night.
I've done plenty of drum programming. Whenever I do hip hop I do my own drum tracks. For the record, I find programming drums boring. I don't get any sense of accomplishment from it. Just takes up time I'd rather spend playing piano or guitar or composing music/writing lyrics. I understand others don't feel this way, which is why I specifically tried to curtail this kind of comment. Some will argue anyone who uses synth presets is taking shortcuts. Some will argue anyone using pitch correction on vocals is taking shortcuts. Some will argue that anyone programming drums instead of learning to play drums (like I do) and going to the trouble of mic'ing and recording them live (which I obviously don't) is taking shortcuts. I encourage everyone to do what makes them happy, whether it's programming synths, scratching records, programming drums, mixing, mastering, etc. Goodnight to you too and sweet dreams. May you wake hangover free.

Back to the point of the thread... can anyone help?

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Back to the point of the thread... can anyone help?
Yeah...uh...please don't take it the wrong way. My own father was a drum loop guy who played the guitar and wrote lyrics so let's not jump to conclusions. I just gave you several sources and you can get even more with a Google search. Take care.
Last edited by pLansford on 29 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:
pLansford wrote:Back to the point of the thread... can anyone help?
Yeah...uh...please don't take it the wrong way. My own father was a drum loop guy who played the guitar and wrote lyrics so let's not jump to conclusions. I just gave you several sources and you can get even more with a Google search. Take care.
I've got no problem with you Mr. Lansford. But as I said in my original OP, I've already googled, and you recommended I check out a site I referenced in the OP which is a bit puzzling. My question is clearly about the identity of this one guy and I obviously now how to google and am aware of other loop resources. That doesn't help me to know if they're by the guy I'm looking for, or if they're any good. Every set of loops out there claims to "RAW!" "BRUTAL!" "OFF THE HOOK!" etc. It's not possible to listen to refills or loops (except meager samples) without buying, and I'm trying to stretch my money. This is why I'm asking for help here. I appreciate you bumping my thread, but I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling me now or if you just didn't read what I wrote. Bickering is silly, but if you read from the beginning of the thread, you'll see that of the two of us, you're being a bit sillier.

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:My question is clearly about the identity of this one guy
JNeffLind wrote:If no one knows where to find more by the FSB Bomb Squad guy, can anyone recommend some good rex loops focusing on hip hop beats...
Hmmmm.

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

WHere did my post go ?

Hank Shocklee is the guy who did the Bomb Squad FSB
My Words are my ART

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:WHere did my post go ?

Hank Shocklee is the guy who did the Bomb Squad FSB
We have a winner!

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:We have a winner!
Congrats! I'm not trolling or bickering btw...people (especially artists) need to be challenged. The rooster knows all about trolling though.

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:We have a winner!
Congrats! I'm not trolling or bickering btw...people (especially artists) need to be challenged. The rooster knows all about trolling though.
Don't worry about it man. Thanks for your input. For the record, I'm already (mentally) challenged enough.

I'll be seeing what I can find by Shocklee. Now as an addendum, does anyone have any experience with loops like I described in the OP, i.e. geared towards hip hop but without any pitched material included, no basslines or chords, works in any key, etc. Specifically that incorporates good sounding scratches and fat drums, maybe even a few vocal samples.

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Don't worry about it man.
It's my fault...shouldn't have said I was drinking but I figured I could be open with people. I guess not because that makes you all jump to conclusions about my logic. If I said I was grinding all night, you'd probably take me more seriously right? You've mentioned that mentally challenged stuff before in response to me and I just want to say that you decide what you are. The energy you put out to the world is the energy you will get back. Laters.

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote: Congrats! I'm not trolling or bickering btw...people (especially artists) need to be challenged. The rooster knows all about trolling though.
WTF dude ! I have only been helpful in this thread.

There's a first time for everything :lol:
My Words are my ART

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
JNeffLind wrote:Don't worry about it man.
It's my fault...shouldn't have said I was drinking but I figured I could be open with people. I guess not because that makes you all jump to conclusions about my logic. If I said I was grinding all night, you'd probably take me more seriously right? You've mentioned that mentally challenged stuff before in response to me and I just want to say that you decide what you are. The energy you put out to the world is the energy you will get back. Laters.
I don't care if you drink man. You seem to be doubling down on your weird responses though which makes me think you maybe should go to bed (after drinking some water). If you can't see the way your responses could come off as condescending or obtuse, even after I explained it to you, then I don't know what to say. Maybe the alcohol is to blame, or maybe you're myopic. I tried to be nice but it didn't seem to take. For the record, you were not helpful in the slightest. Your input was completely useless. And your condescension was annoying. You could have included photos of yourself snorting alpha brain and your responses would have been taken the same way. I'm going back to work. I'm going to go google "awesome hip hop loops" and see if I get any hits!

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

Ok, JNeff's question has been answered. Now it's meme time.

My Words are my ART

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:I don't care if you drink man.
JNeffLind wrote:...maybe should go to bed (after drinking some water).
JNeffLind wrote:Maybe the alcohol is to blame
Of course you personally don't care what another person does but it will inadvertently affect your judgement.
JNeffLind wrote:For the record, you were not helpful in the slightest. Your input was completely useless.
I try to encourage you to make your own drum loops but you feel satisfied when the rooster gives you a name that you could've found with a simple Google search. This is why I don't even bother most of the time. Well...thanks!

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

I would prefer you used the term "Game Cock"
My Words are my ART

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I would prefer you used the term "Game Cock"
LOL

JNeffLind - it's 6AM here on the west coast and I can go buy some beer now. I'm sorry if I really bothered you because that wasn't my intention at all. Ehhh...good morning. People have accused me of having a condescending attitude since my youth but they find out I'm a cool person after hanging out with me. All of this is half-expected to be honest. I'm a wreck but I like to stare into the lovely eyes and into the souls of the people around me to meet in a parallel universe. Ok I'll just see my way out of here.

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

My Words are my ART

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

Keep 'em coming Karma Shaman. Show me the love.

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:I like to stare into the lovely eyes and into the souls of the people around me to meet in a parallel universe.
My Words are my ART

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:
I try to encourage you to make your own drum loops but you feel satisfied when the rooster gives you a name that you could've found with a simple Google search. This is why I don't even bother most of the time. Well...thanks!
Wrong again man. He told me Hank Shocklee did the FSB stuff. The link in the opening paragraph of the thread, connects to stuff by Hank Shocklee. A "simple google search" revealed Hank Shocklee as using the Bomb Squad name. It didn't reveal that he did the FSB patches. Which is what I was asking. If you read the OP you'll see I address this idea specifically, that there could be multiple users of that moniker.

You told me to do what I specifically said I wasn't interested in doing. As for your "help," I asked for a specific kind of loop, wanting information that wasn't readily available. I wanted insight from a user. You responded with google search results and then acted like I was out of line for trying to get the thread back on topic.

Imagine this: I ask for a synth that comes with good presets for trance, saying I don't like making sounds, and you decide to lecture me about making my own sounds. Then you provide a link to the Propellerhead store instead of answering the question about which synth is best, and act like that's being helpful. Am I being crazy here?

I believe you may have been trying to be helpful, but that doesn't mean you were anywhere near successful. Nor does it mean you weren't patronizing and condescending. You've taken enough of my energy for one day. In the future, if you read a thread topic and don't have anything to contribute, maybe just don't post in it. You can probably assume that anyone on a message board on the internet has heard of google.

JNeffLind

29 Aug 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I would prefer you used the term "Game Cock"
I will only say, thank you Mr. Cock for actually reading the OP and responding to it. Also, I'd like to party with that giraffe. Seems like my kind of fellow. As for that delusional kitten, that dude can fuck off. I run into those idiots every time I turn around.

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

If you dig around, I think Shocklee appeared in a Propellerhead video in the past
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

29 Aug 2015

Also mate, there's another active thread where Yonatan linked to http://www.drumdrops.com/

There's a ton of very cool drum loop session sets, which you can buy for around $5 a set (or $120 for each series). I can certainly see this as being my 'go to' in future.

I'm similar to you when it comes to drums. Programming/sequencing is very unpleasurable - especially when I find myself wanting 'real' playing sounds, and all the subtle imperfections that makes music cool. While I will NEVER use loops for instrumentation, I have no issue with chopping up percussion takes (and often supplementing them with programmed beats)
My Words are my ART

pLansford

29 Aug 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Imagine this: I ask for a synth that comes with good presets for trance, saying I don't like making sounds, and you decide to lecture me about making my own sounds. Then you provide a link to the Propellerhead store instead of answering the question about which synth is best, and act like that's being helpful. Am I being crazy here?
I actually think plenty of folks would recommend learning the sound design to be honest but you're right - just do what's best for you. I think you're being crazy for dragging this on after I apologized. We should lighten up around here and not take ourselves so seriously. Is it really so terrible that I responded with some slight constructive criticism as well as a few sites to do some digging? You did in fact ask for that recommendation if nobody knew where to find your guy.
JNeffLind wrote:You've taken enough of my energy for one day. In the future, if you read a thread topic and don't have anything to contribute, maybe just don't post in it. You can probably assume that anyone on a message board on the internet has heard of google.
That's a real condescending tone right there if I ever saw one. Good stuff.
JNeffLind wrote:As for that delusional kitten, that dude can fuck off. I run into those idiots every time I turn around.
Your attitude stinks. I just came here from an email notification but I don't want any more to do with this.

• Information