Vintage Horns vs Kick-Ass Brass! vs Miroslav Refill: Brass

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
OldGoat

04 Jul 2015

Hello Reasontalkers,

which of the following is the most natural sounding brass refill?

Vintage Horns - https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/vintage-horns/ €99.00
Kick-Ass Brass! - http://www.amg-software.com/webstorehol ... store.html $325.00 (serious?)
Miroslav Refill: Brass - https://www.sonicreality.com/sounds/mir ... /1685.html round about 28€ (no price available, because https://www.esoundz.com was not reachable at the creation-time of this post)
Last edited by OldGoat on 05 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Theo.M

04 Jul 2015

Esoundz have a massive sale right now that will end soon so I say go for miroslav as it has decent fairly dry sounds as well as plenty of wet combis included. The brass isn't bad at all. Kick ass is a very dated product with very minimal content, my friend bought it about 4 years back, maybe even longer, and we went through the patches and I was highly unimpressed (sorry). I hear good things about vintage horns from other forum members but can't personally comment on that one, but I do understand it's a bit limited, not designed to be a sort of all in one brass collection. My vote is for miroslav. Kick ass brass price is a joke, and this was the vst version I am talking about testing, and i know the refill has been cut further.. avoid....

OldGoat

05 Jul 2015

Thank you very much for this detailed feedback.
Theo.M wrote:Esoundz have a massive sale right now that will end soon so I say go for miroslav as it has decent fairly dry sounds as well as plenty of wet combis included. The brass isn't bad at all.[...]My vote is for miroslav.
I just bought the Miroslav Refill Gold Bundle for currently only 59$. [ :exclamation: Offtopic] Unfortunately I was not able to test it, because the download gets stuck after some seconds. This could be related to my bad internet connection, I'm using a UMTS-Stick provided by my company for free... I even tried the download with wget, and it "said": "1.65K/s eta 10d 8h"... Who does not pay, may not complain...I will try it again in the office tomorrow...[/ :exclamation: Offtopic]
Theo.M wrote:Kick ass is a very dated product with very minimal content, my friend bought it about 4 years back, maybe even longer, and we went through the patches and I was highly unimpressed (sorry).[...]Kick ass brass price is a joke, and this was the vst version I am talking about testing, and i know the refill has been cut further.. avoid....

I really appreciate this honest feedback, I haven't found anything like this in the web, some sites even gave 5 of 5 stars for this refill. Again, thanx a lot, Theo!
Theo.M wrote:I hear good things about vintage horns from other forum members but can't personally comment on that one, but I do understand it's a bit limited, not designed to be a sort of all in one brass collection.
This is the only one that I've heard, a friend bought it a while ago, it has some good notes in some specific ranges, but you cannot use everything for every purpose.

kitekrazy

06 Jul 2015

Brass for orchestra and brass for contemporary music are two different animals. Considered how limited the sample is in Reason I wouldn't for over a lot of money on a Refill. Also consider Phantom Horns by Zero-G.
Contemporary brass is very hard to emulate. Reason is also the limitation here unless Project Sam decides to make their Swing library into an RE which will still be far more limited and too expensive compared to the Kontakt engine.

JesusChristIsLord

06 Jul 2015

OldGoat wrote:Hello Reasontalkers,

which of the following is the most natural sounding brass refill?

Vintage Horns - https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/vintage-horns/ €99.00
No demo sounds? :(
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior :thumbs_up:

eusti

06 Jul 2015

Not sure how close these examples are as they are for the Kontakt version:

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/Vintage-Horns

OldGoat

10 Jul 2015

kitekrazy wrote:Brass for orchestra and brass for contemporary music are two different animals. Considered how limited the sample is in Reason I wouldn't for over a lot of money on a Refill. Also consider Phantom Horns by Zero-G.

Thanks for this, I will search for them, but I already spend some money on the complete Miroslav-Pack, I'm very happy with the strings OOTB, but I think I need some time to get the best out of the brass-refills.
kitekrazy wrote:Contemporary brass is very hard to emulate.
I need brass for Dub/Reggae/Ska/Funk, is there something you would recommend?
kitekrazy wrote:Reason is also the limitation here unless Project Sam decides to make their Swing library into an RE which will still be far more limited and too expensive compared to the Kontakt engine.
According to this forum they have not done a great job regarding their first RE "ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler", but I'm also hoping that they will get better with every update and every new release for Reason.

kitekrazy

10 Jul 2015

OldGoat wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:Brass for orchestra and brass for contemporary music are two different animals. Considered how limited the sample is in Reason I wouldn't for over a lot of money on a Refill. Also consider Phantom Horns by Zero-G.

Thanks for this, I will search for them, but I already spend some money on the complete Miroslav-Pack, I'm very happy with the strings OOTB, but I think I need some time to get the best out of the brass-refills.
kitekrazy wrote:Contemporary brass is very hard to emulate.
I need brass for Dub/Reggae/Ska/Funk, is there something you would recommend?
kitekrazy wrote:Reason is also the limitation here unless Project Sam decides to make their Swing library into an RE which will still be far more limited and too expensive compared to the Kontakt engine.
According to this forum they have not done a great job regarding their first RE "ProjectSAM Orchestral Sampler", but I'm also hoping that they will get better with every update and every new release for Reason.
The attitude of not trying to make them sound realistic. You are not going to get Earth, Wind, and Fire out of most libraries unless you use a different DAW and specific libraries designed for those sounds. Wait for a Zero G sale and get Phantom Horns. They may not be your answer but are useful for Reason.

OldGoat

17 Jul 2015

kitekrazy wrote: The attitude of not trying to make them sound realistic. You are not going to get Earth, Wind, and Fire out of most libraries unless you use a different DAW and specific libraries designed for those sounds. Wait for a Zero G sale and get Phantom Horns. They may not be your answer but are useful for Reason.
Thanks for this, I will try to make Miroslav Brass sound realistic this weekend, but even if this almost offtopic I have to ask:

Can you please name the library and the DAW that "contains the Brass-Section of Earth, Wind and Fire"?

Ronin

17 Jul 2015

I also have been searching for a good reggae/dub horn section sound my whole music career for use in reason. Still not managed to find it. :(

MirEko

19 Jul 2015

Funny I just came to ask about a good ska, dub, funk horn refill and this thread was at the top.. Pity there doesn't seem to be one :(
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

MirEko

19 Jul 2015

http://www.sessionbandapp.com/SessionBa ... ition.html

These apps are quite good, you can change key and chords and set fills etc, then just sample it into reason
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Kazz

02 Aug 2015

kitekrazy wrote:Wait for a Zero G sale and get Phantom Horns. They may not be your answer but are useful for Reason.
In case anyone was waiting for such a sale, Zero-G newsletter subscribers can get 70% off all of their older stuff right now (including this) with the code CT70. Sale ends Tuesday at 23:59 PST.

(I'm guessing the code will also work for non-subscribers.)

• Information