Dying for Guitar Effect Patches

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
mbfrancis

25 Jun 2015

I've been trying to play more guitar, got my old Jazzmaster set-up properly, and have quickly noticed there seems to be a gaping whole in my rack where fully formed effect chains for guitars should be.  For fun I downloaded Guitar Rig free and ran it stand-alone, and there are 100s of fully baked patches that sound great, complete with effect chains (chorus, delay, overdrive, fuzz, etc), many based on iconic tones (Message in a Bottle) or eras (punk, grunge, hair metal, blues), or bands (white stripes).  As a preset guy I find this very useful.  

Contrast this to what we get in the FSB for the Line6 devices (I'm on R7) and what I have with Vermillion (maybe 20-30 patches, no combis), and it seems like a huge gap in the market.  

Does a refill exist that fills this need?  Can anyone point me to any refills that have patches like this.  Does anyone have good guitar patches they're using that they can share?  ANy help truly appreciated.

(Again I'm on R7 and have Vermillion.  If the R8 FSB has this, this would be a reason to upgrade, but since Marco/Rappie came out with a Softube refill I suspect it doesn't.)
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

jfrichards

25 Jun 2015

For now, there are two great places to get patches for Vermilion.  One is the FSB, which has lots of nice combinator guitar effect patches using Line6, which is not so great.  Just load in a Vermilion (using Shift so no cables are auto-routed) under the Line6, then move the cables in and out of the Line6 into and out of the Vermilion.  Then browse through Vermilion patches inside that combinator., or adjust the Vermilion settings similar to the Line6 right above it.  The other nice place is Marco's Softube patch refill combinators (Boutique).  Just substitute with Vermilion (sorry Marco, it sounds good, some better, some worse, than the Softube).

Maybe Props could bribe the ReasonTalk serious guitarists to put together a Guitar Effects refill for 8.6 in December, like when the wah pedal comes out (it has to come out before Sept 2016).  Or for 8.8 in March when the new FSB comes out with convolution cabinets and a set of replacements for the Line6 combinators.  I haven't heard anything, just doing some reasonable speculation.

mbfrancis

25 Jun 2015

Thanks, John - I was hoping you would respond.  Sorry, where are the L6 combi patches in the FSB...they're not with the other L6 patches.  All Effects -> ?  (Not at my computer right now).  Buying Marco's refill sounds like a great idea, as long as the routing is basic (no CV), but even then, I have no idea how he has the Softube's configured.  I assume Creme doesn't come with tons of patches, either.

I'll check the FSB tonight.  I have the refill the Props did a few years ago...just hoping there's moooooar.   :)  Thanks again, John, appreciate all your posts, you know of what you speak tone-wise.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

EddieG

25 Jun 2015

I have been going through my combis replacing LineSick with Kuassa and have thought of sharing
but no one seems to care about us guitarists !
Garsh, I dont remember how to even create a refill - but its a good idea IMO

goto create in the submenu
goto FSB
>ALL Effect patches
>Line 6 guitar amp

Here's my basic combi formula:
while noodling around, create and save patches for your amp sims by tweaking until you have the sound
I usually put my name in front of the default name so I know its tweaked

COmp>Eq>vermillion>Creme> opt comp > opt eq > out

John also had one (engl) that inspired me to come up with a bunch of them
Great fun and a time saver when you're inspired to write a riff or something
I think also Mattias had a combi guitar amp sim he created a while back
- lemme see If I can find it

HTH

stratcatfl in the house !

eusti

25 Jun 2015

If you guys are putting stuff together, pretty please don't make it a refill! Just save them as patches and combis...
That really helps reorganizing stuff!!!
;)

D.

esselfortium

26 Jun 2015

I, too, would be super interested in seeing a bigger collection of combinator patches for the Kuassa and Softube amps.

It's been like a decade since I played with a version of Guitar Rig but I remember its presets being varied, impressive, and loads of fun to play with. With the amp sims we've got in Reason nowadays and all the other effects in the rack, there's no reason we can't have patches just as good!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jfrichards

26 Jun 2015

eusti wrote:If you guys are putting stuff together, pretty please don't make it a refill! Just save them as patches and combis... That really helps reorganizing stuff!!!
;)  D.
Great idea, like this?:

Attachments
Guitar_folder.png
Guitar_folder.png (188.34 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

eusti

27 Jun 2015

Yes!!! :)

D.

ravisoni

28 Jun 2015

Not sure if this was posted here on on fb, but these two patches are AMAZING.

https://52bb2ddc-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.goo ... _swell.cmb

If you're playing live guitar, get rid of the NNXTs inside.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

jfrichards

28 Jun 2015

rs wrote:Not sure if this was posted here on on fb, but these two patches are AMAZING.
Here's the first one, made with 3 line6 high gain amps:

KnowKontrol

28 Jun 2015

I'm totally in for guitar patches also... My music has certinly taken a turn from all synth based to a synth guitar combo... and I am liking the outcome. The Kuassa ones are amazing like others have said, I just started the demo of the Cerebus bass one last night... and I think I am in love with that one also.... its gonna be hard to not pick that up.

• Information