Hip-Hop Hi-Hat/Snare Roller

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
GRIFTY

18 Apr 2015

Here is my labor of love for the past few days.  It is a gate device/arp meant for playing trap/dirty south/rolling style hi-hats or snares.

The devices are all reason stock devices from R5, I believe.

I made the combi in reason 7.1, if that matters.

There is a Kong loaded already within the patch meant to be an example.  Drum one is set to the "funky" hi hat sample from the factory sound bank.

It is meant for you to play whatever you want, however. 

Open the device, at the top there are two CV spiders labeled "GATE OUT" and "PITCH OUT".

"GATE OUT" should be self explanatory.  the device is set up so C1 will play your sound once.  C#1/Db1 will play quarter notes.  It goes in sequence up to 1/128 notes at B1.  At C2, i have programmed an octave of "common" patterns for hip hop rolls; you can skip down to the mass  of CV spiders, and below them you can change the patterns if you please.

"PITCH OUT" is an envelope generated from a THOR. 

Connect "PITCH OUT" to your sampler's "note" input, or to a polar, or to any type of note/pitch cv in and you can generate rising/falling or dropping effects with your rolls. 

Peace guys!  I hope you enjoy this combi, i've been wanting something like this in reason for a while so i got a wild hair up my *** and decided to make an all-encompassing one. Have fun

Attachments
HiHatSpinner.zip
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2015

let me point out the controls on the combi...
"full level" (button 1) toggles between full velocity hits and keyboard-velocity.  I keep it on usually but if you want velocity control turn it off.

"shuffle" (button 2) should be self explanatory, it activates global shuffle on all the patterns

"pitch ENV" (button 3) toggles the fading/rising effect.  it basically activates the rotary controls 1-3.

"RISER/ATTACK" (rotary 1) determines if there will be any rising pitch. at minimum (fully left) there is NO rise.  it goes from 1/32 note rising time (which is basically useless) all the way to 4/1 rising time. bring the rotary to 1:50 to hear a 1/4 rise time, which IMO is the minimum time that is actually useful. (who knows though maybe you'll need the 3/16 setting or something someday lol).

"Riser HOLD" (rotary 2) will hold the pitch at the top of the rise for a certain amount of time.  it also varies from 0 to 1/32 minimum to 4/1 max.

"DECAY/DROP" (rotary 3) determines the dropping pitch length.  It is most useful when the attack time is set to 0, but you may wish to utilize it creatively i guess. 

the final rotary is a simple treble knob that will boost the EQ on the KONG.  ignore it if you wish to use a different device.

the final button just toggles LOOP on the pitch envelope.  nothing to really worry about

go ahead and respond with any questions in this thread, i hope i have been thorough enough, but also not too turgid or arcane to pay attention to. 

PEACE!

popp

18 Apr 2015

Sounds pretty cool... I'm on my phone right now but will definitely check this out when I'm back on my computer. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Super Dabbler

-008'

18 Apr 2015

I know what you mean about a "labour of love". :) I made a refill called "Rolling Machine" for this very same thing about 4 years ago. (Would link but my site is down)

Anyway, thanks for sharing. It's always good to see other peoples' ways. Reason could almost be called "the cat skinner 5000" ;)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

JNeffLind

01 May 2015

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Rice

01 May 2015

Hey thanks. I had created one of these myself so I didn't think I'd need this one, but you have a couple of (nice) features that I did't put in mine. Thanks again!

GRIFTY

06 May 2015

No problem! I'm glad you like it!

soroc sosta

14 Oct 2015

TY GRIFTY!
Now I got to learn how to make it work, yikes! :-/
LOL

afrodude

15 Oct 2015

Also made a simpler version like this a while ago using redrum no fx just the rolls
simply load ur hihat sample or whatever into the first slot
HatMachine.rar
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

soroc sosta

16 Oct 2015

afrodude wrote:Also made a simpler version like this a while ago using redrum no fx just the rolls
simply load ur hihat sample or whatever into the first slot
HatMachine.rar
Thanks for the awesome designs guys!

DeeDashStef

19 Oct 2015

bro that shit helpped me so much wit drum rolls sheesh thanks alot

• Information