Q: orchestra refill to replace general midi

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
ahs

11 Apr 2015

i am looking for an orchestra refill replacing the ID8 sounds with very good orchestra sounds !?

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2015

Hi

The sounds in ID8 are pretty decent but don't forget Orkester you have already as part of the Reason install.

Just be aware the Orkester sounds are very dry so create some reverbs to create a room for the players and make them seem alive. I have been starting to play with orchestral sounds rather than my usual 100% synth and gotten some reasonable results.

This one was originally written with synths then re-voiced. Each sound has its own reverb then a Bus Send.

This one was written from scratch with Orkester/FSB sounds (don't forget there are sounds in the main FSB too) and two Reverbs (RV-7 + RV-7000) and a Delay on Bus Sends to ensure the space was common.

The Euphonic Strings sound like the best external ReFill strings for Reason but don't jump till you can handle Orkester or you are simply wasting money as a lot of the trick in in knowing how to play the instruments and orchestrate.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

ahs

11 Apr 2015

hi benedict

true ! orkester has many sounds but missing as much sounds as i used to have ;-)

Benedict
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2015

I get the feeling you aren't telling us the full story here?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Kazz

11 Apr 2015

I agree that Euphonic Strings is probably the best sounding, but if you're trying to cover more instruments you should check out the Miroslav stuff too.

There are some other options out there (and I haven't tried all of them), but until we get a port of one of the other big orchestral libraries I think Miroslav covers the most bases.

eusti

12 Apr 2015

Benedict wrote: The sounds in ID8 are pretty decent but don't forget Orkester you have already as part of the Reason install.
Completely agree... Came as a complete surprise to me, but especially with some expression modulation (that I had derived from an iOS Garageband track) it ended up making me quite happy!

D.

ahs

12 Apr 2015

TheGodOfRainbows

12 Apr 2015

OMG I had NO idea "Euphonic Strings" by Zampled existed! I have Miroslav and thought that was as good as it gets for strings in Reason, but this Refill looks and sounds incredible, especially for the price of $70. I can't believe I haven't heard of it until now. Am I missing something? Is there a reason it's not more popular? Judging by the demos, this is a must buy.

Ostermilk

13 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:i am looking for such a refill
http://www.garritan.com/products/personal-orchestra-4/
Garritan used to produce GPO as a $79 refill.  See here 12th entry down.

I suppose you could try and find one of those if someone is selling a copy.  I don't think it sold well though for whatever reason it didn't seem to hang around for long.

gak

13 Apr 2015

Euphonic Strings is bookmarked for a later date ;)

Too many fabulous goodies in reason.

ahs

13 Apr 2015

@ostermilk

that was a good tip !
i mailed makemusic (german distributor) if i can get a copy

Kazz

13 Apr 2015

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:OMG I had NO idea "Euphonic Strings" by Zampled existed! I have Miroslav and thought that was as good as it gets for strings in Reason, but this Refill looks and sounds incredible, especially for the price of $70. I can't believe I haven't heard of it until now. Am I missing something? Is there a reason it's not more popular? Judging by the demos, this is a must buy.
I don't think you're missing anything...it should be pretty popular, but it is important to be aware that it doesn't have the same range of instruments as Miroslav for example ("strings" is in the name after all), it has groups of violins but no solo violins I believe, it has a little different selection of playing styles than Miroslav, etc. so it's good to have both.  Plus you may get even better results by layering them! :)

jallen97

20 Apr 2015

I just got Chambre and am LOVING it. I haven't had Miroslav or Euphonic to compare, but Chambre is an INCREDIBLE jump up from the stock strings.. IMO

ahs

22 Apr 2015

there was an RE for
http://www.garritan.com/products/personal-orchestra-4/

somebody to sell this ?

• Information