Selig Tracking EQ Combinator

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2015

Selig Tracking EQ

Hi again, time for another fun Combinator project. This time around I'm building an EQ that can follow MIDI Note Tracks. I've built similar things in Reaktor over the years and find them useful for certain tasks. The most obvious application would be so you can have a bass line cut the exact frequencies being played from the Kick/Drum track.

This is a dynamic effect, allowing you to control the depth of the effect from shallow to deep (and it will respond to  level changes as well), and control the width of the cut from very narrow to quite wide. When the bass line doesn't play there will be NO EQ applied, allowing this effect to remain 100% transparent when not in use.

The frequency of the EQ band is controlled by a note track which should be a copy of the bass track. If you are using a bass loop or real bass player, you will need to create the note track manually. If you need to transpose you can use the Combi Programmer on the Thor Device.

Hookup
Use this Combinator on your kick drum or drum bus. Take a parallel out from your bass track into the MClass Compressor inside the Combinator (you can leave out this step and set the gain manually on the MClass EQ inside the Combi). Finally, copy the note clip from the bass track to the Combinator's track and you're ready to go!

You can alternatively use the input signal as the MComp source, allowing dynamic EQ ducking triggered by the sound itself instead of an external (aka "side chain") input. This would allow you to EQ an instrument relative to the note being played, to increase or decrease a certain specific harmonic for example, or to have a HP filter track the fundamental of your bass line for more precise low end control when mixing.

Front Panel Controls
These are pretty simple: 
Depth: controls the cut from no cut at it's minimum to the maximum cut the EQ allows at it's max
Q: Controls the width of the cut.
Attack/Release: controls the attack/release time of the EQ ducking effect.

Setup
Like most effects I suggest exaggerating the parameters until you can hear too much of the effect, the gradually decrease the settings until the process is as transparent as you like. The Depth and Q will probably have the most profound effect on the sound. The attack should generally be left at the fastest, and the Release will tend to be more transparent the longer you set it.

This is a pretty simple Combi with no custom skin etc. Feel free to add/subtract and share freely!

:)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... EQ.cmb.zip
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

Cool idea

Thanks Selig

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Rice

15 Mar 2015

Oh wow, can't wait to give this a try. So this is basically "Curve" on steroids? :D

Dude, do you have two brains? How in the heck can you store all of this damn knowledge in one brain? :) (compliment of course)

Thanks Giles!

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2015

Did you not realize that if you spell Selig backwards you get android?

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

hydlide

15 Mar 2015

this might come in handy :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2015

Rice wrote:Oh wow, can't wait to give this a try. So this is basically "Curve" on steroids? :D

Dude, do you have two brains? How in the heck can you store all of this damn knowledge in one brain? :) (compliment of course)

Thanks Giles!
No, nothing like a Leveler. This is something somewhat unique that I've found handy for years now, and is a cross between a dynamic EQ and a synth filter using keyboard tracking. This is therefore called a "Tracking EQ" (by me, at least).

You can basically "play" the EQ from a step sequencer, keyboard, arpeggiator, etc. 
Selig Audio, LLC

Rice

15 Mar 2015

Rice wrote:Oh wow, can't wait to give this a try. So this is basically "Curve" on steroids? :D

Thanks Giles!
selig wrote:
No, nothing like a Leveler. This is something somewhat unique that I've found handy for years now, and is a cross between a dynamic EQ and a synth filter using keyboard tracking. This is therefore called a "Tracking EQ" (by me, at least).

You can basically "play" the EQ from a step sequencer, keyboard, arpeggiator, etc. 
LOL!!! Man my bad, I meant to say "Carve" NOT "Curve"...Doh!

JNeffLind

17 Mar 2015

Couldn't it just as easily be used to make space for vocals, etc.? Either way, looks like a cool tool and a logical way to do the job. I suppose the only thing not accounted for is sounds that have lots of harmonics or lots of distortion or whatever else that don't fit into a band as narrow as a single midi note, etc. Does that make sense?

Edit: I guess adjusting the Q would fix the problem. Or possibly does this work polyphonically? I.e. if you're making space for vocals and harmony, can you have chords in your midi?

selig
RE Developer

17 Mar 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Couldn't it just as easily be used to make space for vocals, etc.? Either way, looks like a cool tool and a logical way to do the job. I suppose the only thing not accounted for is sounds that have lots of harmonics or lots of distortion or whatever else that don't fit into a band as narrow as a single midi note, etc. Does that make sense?

Edit: I guess adjusting the Q would fix the problem. Or possibly does this work polyphonically? I.e. if you're making space for vocals and harmony, can you have chords in your midi?
You can make the band as wide as you like, or even use a shelf instead of a parametric EQ. Remember it's just an EQ! This could work well on any instrument or vocal theoretically speaking.

A sound with lots of harmonics will occupy a much wider swath, which if you COULD duck all the harmonics would make a much more obvious effect more like ducking the whole track. If the concept is to "make room" for other instruments then you need to duck only the strongest harmonic which is typically the lowest harmonic. The second harmonic is typically 6 dB lower than the first (in a perfect saw wave), and if you typically only dip around 6 dB anyway that should cover it just fine. 

This particular effect is mono-phonic "Last Note" priority, so no chords. But for chords to make sense you'd have to use VERY narrow bands and then you'd end up with an even nastier comb filter like effect I would think. The whole concept of frequency dependent ducking probably isn't as "perfect" an effect/solution as one may think (and therefore may not work at all as expected in many situations). 

Imagine as one example trying to take down all the harmonics of a saw wave without affecting any other frequencies - after the first few octaves the harmonics are so close together you'd just be dipping EVERYTHING out or you would require extremely narrow Q's to do so (creating the comb filter effect). Above the 4th octave the harmonics are closer than semitones making it impossible to effectively cut individual harmonics without taking everything down.

There is nothing else I'm aware of that can do this "trick" with such narrow and accurate cuts and do it quick enough to make a noticeable difference.
Selig Audio, LLC

Reasonistas
RE Developer

17 Mar 2015

This is great.  Thank you, Giles.
ImageImageImage

Shokstar

17 Mar 2015

cool stuff Giles, check out my versions of your Tracking EQ´s. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7ki090tqodpn ... cTwAa?dl=0

JNeffLind

17 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
You can make the band as wide as you like, or even use a shelf instead of a parametric EQ. Remember it's just an EQ! This could work well on any instrument or vocal theoretically speaking.

A sound with lots of harmonics will occupy a much wider swath, which if you COULD duck all the harmonics would make a much more obvious effect more like ducking the whole track. If the concept is to "make room" for other instruments then you need to duck only the strongest harmonic which is typically the lowest harmonic. The second harmonic is typically 6 dB lower than the first (in a perfect saw wave), and if you typically only dip around 6 dB anyway that should cover it just fine. 

This particular effect is mono-phonic "Last Note" priority, so no chords. But for chords to make sense you'd have to use VERY narrow bands and then you'd end up with an even nastier comb filter like effect I would think. The whole concept of frequency dependent ducking probably isn't as "perfect" an effect/solution as one may think (and therefore may not work at all as expected in many situations). 

Imagine as one example trying to take down all the harmonics of a saw wave without affecting any other frequencies - after the first few octaves the harmonics are so close together you'd just be dipping EVERYTHING out or you would require extremely narrow Q's to do so (creating the comb filter effect). Above the 4th octave the harmonics are closer than semitones making it impossible to effectively cut individual harmonics without taking everything down.

There is nothing else I'm aware of that can do this "trick" with such narrow and accurate cuts and do it quick enough to make a noticeable difference.
Cool. Slowly this stuff is starting to make sense. Not that I feel I'm anywhere close to mastering it, but I'm at least starting to feel like I have an idea of the steps/ingredients necessary to eventually conquer the understanding. Baby steps. 

Jordan Miller

19 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
You can alternatively use the input signal as the MComp source, allowing dynamic EQ ducking triggered by the sound itself instead of an external (aka "side chain") input. This would allow you to EQ an instrument relative to the note being played, to increase or decrease a certain specific harmonic for example, or to have a HP filter track the fundamental of your bass line for more precise low end control when mixing.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this Giles :) I'm particularly interested in this application.

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2015

Shokstar wrote: cool stuff Giles, check out my versions of your Tracking EQ´s. 

Looks much cooler than mine, for sure!

For me, there are a few crucial things missing. You've not provided any dynamic control, nor attack release either. Also, you can't control the ducking amount/depth which I'd say is the #1 control I look for here (unless you go into the programmer).

At the least it would be great to have an amount control IMO.

You can add attack/release controls by modifying the mod matrix as such - I also added velocity so you can control the "depth" by adjusting all the velocities in the track. You can also have some notes duck more/less than others via velocity. Here's the two changes that provide these enhancements. All that is left to do is to assign Combi knobs - but this is STILL not going to dynamic respond to the audio as my Combinator does, FWIW.
Note the changes to the second row below:

Also, the third line doesn't appear to actually do anything since CV3 isn't hooked to anything, right?
By replacing Velocity with a Thor Rotary you can create the Depth Control I suggested above, and then assign a Combinator knob to control Rotary 1 and you have your depth control like so:

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-19_at_10.12.38_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-03-19_at_10.12.38_AM.png (15.68 KiB) Viewed 8544 times
Selig Audio, LLC

ljekio

22 Apr 2023

Hello, Selig!
Link on a start post is dead, do you have it at another place?
Maybe there are other useful combinators (old combi for R11) for Leveler?

moalla

22 Apr 2023

selig wrote:
19 Mar 2015
Shokstar wrote: cool stuff Giles, check out my versions of your Tracking EQ´s. 

This works
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

littlejam

22 Apr 2023

hello,

is there a link to the original 'eq tracking' combi from selig please

thank you very much for the Shokstar combis

i am on windows 7 64 bit / reason 10

cheers and eat well,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

kooshan

22 Apr 2023

I also would very much like to check the original combinator file . Any chance of reupload?

selig
RE Developer

23 Apr 2023

I’m out of the studio this weekend, but I will find the original and upload again as soon as I can!!
Selig Audio, LLC

kooshan

08 May 2023

Thanks selig !
Any chance?

Martinp21

09 Sep 2023

Any update on a new working link Selig please?

hamsterfactor

10 Sep 2023

+1
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

Ichooselife

10 Sep 2023

yeah would be nice for reason 11

• Information