Idea for PH shop/R8+ browser functionality (microtransactions)

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
dhruan

28 Feb 2015

How about having a functionality in the PH Shop or R8+ browser where your account capabilities (REs you have) would be detected and based on that (and other criterion you set like style or genre) you could search for patches/sounds which you could audition on the spot and buy for pennies/cents (microtransactions). This instead of buying a "bucket full" of stuff for xx.xx - xxx.xx €/£/$.

Yay or nay?
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

FrankJaeger

04 Mar 2015

This sounds good on paper but I don't think it would work out to well in practice.

As an example, Bitley's team processes each transaction manually and it tells you that upon checkout. Once the money has been deducted from your account they will send you an invite to a dropbox folder containing the specific refill. Trying to process hundreds of these per day would be an all consuming/energy draining job.

Also each company would have to calculate how many patches are in each refill and come up with either a standard price for all of them, or calculate how much each one should cost based on amount of resources used, time put in etc. If the latter is chosen there will inevitably be complaining from individuals who are upset that patch "Sucks-a-lot" costs only $0.80 while patch "Sliced bread" costs $0.84. The developers will also have to factor in Propellerheads commission on each sale.

Now imagine that this system is somehow fully integrated into Reason. You'd have thousands of people rummaging through thousands of patches from hundreds of refills at the same time. All on the propellerhead's server. All of this would be happening while many purchases are being made at the same time. The amount of bog down would (I believe) be very high. I also don't see a way of auditioning a file live that hasn't been downloaded to your computer yet. I guess it could be possible if they are now streaming games on consoles over the internet.

I could go on but it's already becoming a :s0403:
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

• Information