HOLLYWOOD FILM STRINGS OR EUPHONIC STRINGS?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
TheFilterMob

28 Feb 2015

Hey propellerheads,

Any one have the "Hollywood Film Strings" refill? I heard the demo and it sounds decent … 
Thinking about "Euphonic Strings" but Hollywood has more nnxt patches and more combi patches… The thing about "Euphonic" is that the demos sound a little robotic and that's not what I want at all. 
 I have a few DNA labs refills and they all are good and loaded with sounds.  help!
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

selig
RE Developer

28 Feb 2015

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone using Hollywood Film Strings. I use Euphonic Strings all the time, and I can say it's the only library I've used lately where folks that hear my mockups comment on the quality of the samples. I use a lot of spiccato style strings lately, and that was what sold me on the Euphonic library (and what keeps getting positive comments). FWIW, for the few times when I've added live orchestral instruments with sampled, the Euphonic can help give that extra presence that adds a nice sparkle, similar to the way drum samples can be used to enhance the tone of a live kit (not talking sample "replacement" but rather sample "enhancement" here, where both the samples and the live instruments appear side by side).

A lot of the recent stuff I've done isn't yet available to the public but I'll post when it is. I should mention I often combine Euphonic Strings with Mirslov and even the Orkester sound bank. Euphonic Strings is definitely brighter, which is why I like it as a layer for modern orchestral productions and for adding strings to more mainstream/pop tracks. Those who may focus more on traditional classical reproductions may find Euphonic Strings too "studio" sounding (bright, close mic'ed, dry etc.), but again that is the very thing that attracted me to these samples - to each their own, horses for courses, YYMV, etc.!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Theo.M

28 Feb 2015

different things.. hollywood strings which i have is a decent pad library of strings.. that's it. Usable if that's what you are after, which i was. Some nice rich string pads there.

Euphonic more complete library. Now we just need some dedicated solo stuff and we have strings covered.

darkmode

28 Feb 2015

The Hollywood Film Strings ReFill is OK. IMO it's not as realistic as Euphonic Strings or Miroslav, it's a little 'synthy' (if that's a word) but for the the price it is useful for layering. I must admit, I keep forgetting I have it. I'm so used to going to Euphonic Strings, Miroslav and Orkestra as Selig states above.

Theo.M

28 Feb 2015

Hey darkmode, yeah layering, pads.. i agree... Recently i was looking for a string pad just to layer with a synth pad in a trance song and HS fit perfectly. For the price i reckon it's worth it, although I am *very* unimpressed so far with the other DNA labs refill I have, the quad one. So far I haven't been able to find a usable sound, but more on that soon in a different topic.

TheFilterMob

02 Mar 2015

Thanks guys!  I'm probably going to get both as they both sound appealing now!  I like the realism but I'm more of a contemporary producer so I'd like to have full pad sounding strings also…... I'll plunge in!

p.s. I have miroslav and I seldom use it ….Orkester is a little better than miroslav though I also rarely use it...

-I appreciate it guys

selig
RE Developer

02 Mar 2015

TheFilterMob wrote:Thanks guys!  I'm probably going to get both as they both sound appealing now!  I like the   realism but I'm more of a contemporary producer so I'd like to have full pad sounding strings rather than the euphonic (yet very easy to spot that its a midi sample performance instead of a real performance, I know this because of the euphonic demos)  Well I'll plunge in!

p.s. I have miroslav and I never use it because its too brittle….Orkester is a little better than miroslav though I rarely use it...

-I appreciate it guys
If you consider Miroslov to be "brittle" in any way, Euphonic Stringsmay not be for you (check out the excellent Spiccato Viola demo before jumping in). I consider Miroslov to be downright dark (in the classical way) compared to Euphonic, which is much brighter/crisper (great for stings in electronic tracks IMO). 
Selig Audio, LLC

TheFilterMob

02 Mar 2015

Sound good Selig ... Ill check the demos out again, I edited the comment because I felt it was kind of harsh and I aim at being blunt yet polite….

• Information