ReasonTalk Community Refill Poll

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
frog974new

27 Feb 2015

some question here ^^

if we take together stock device and Re , how we manage this refill ..?
a sub folder per Re ..?
a sub folder for all Re ..?

if we follow the common folder on a Refill
- bass
- lead
- keys
sfx
above 10 folders
imagine all folders and sub-folders we need if we put all Re ( above 2000 folders :t2018: )

in other case , can we allow to use more one Re on a combinator Patch
that'll be funky for user , e.g , an user want to load a combinator patch but on this there's 3 Re -> unlucky he have only 2 of them :frown:

again is not to say all users with somes amazing Re can't make some patchs for this refill but make it easy to use .
Many times its boring to load a combinator patch and see we can't run it fully because we don't have one Re .

hydlide

27 Feb 2015

I'll vote "it depends on how many different REs are used, and how many patches are involved using REs I dont have".

I am ok with REs inside a refill, as long as they don't have the bigger voice on the whole package. In cases like:
- I have 300 patches, and I can only use 40 (since they are "broken" in the other 260 patches)
then it would end up in my Trashbin anyway.

Personally, when it comes to browsing patches, I am lazy and I will not attempt to fix that which is broken.
- I have 300 patches, and I can use 150 patches
then there is a bigger chance I'll keep using it (unless there is a different pack out there that gets my vote to use).

So if REs are involved, I would like a balance of this. I am not saying I am against REs. Nor am I willing to vote "use stock devices" only.

However, on the flip side... if a refill package like this is successful it might also encourage the sales of those specific REs used by the refill at the same time (just thinking out loud).

JNeffLind

27 Feb 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I think REs should be allowed, but only as the main device. So patches for Antidote, PX7 or any RE effect are okay. But please don't use your favourite compressor RE hidden in a combinator just 'cause it's - well - your favourite compressor :nono: !
91% wrote:
This made me think...would Pulsar be allowed if the majority voted no RE's?  Everybody got that for free right?!   :D

Edit: and Synchronous!!  

Eh...I change my vote to Yes on the RE's.   :s0959:
I've been eyeing Pulsar and Polar because so many got it free and I often see free combis posted on the boards. I did though get Synchronous free, and I love it and would love to see some new patches with it. 

JNeffLind

27 Feb 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I think REs should be allowed, but only as the main device. So patches for Antidote, PX7 or any RE effect are okay. But please don't use your favourite compressor RE hidden in a combinator just 'cause it's - well - your favourite compressor :nono: !
I agree with this general sentiment. Maybe any patches including REs can only include a single RE and it needs to be featured prominently (aka, be indispensable/recognizable as the backbone of the sound). 

Or split the RE section into two categories with one section adhering to above guidelines and the second section just being whatever insanity you can come up with (infinite but pitchable feedback loop from antidote to predator modulated by echobode based on Autotheory's mixolydian reimaginings of jazz standards.)

I like the idea of allowing RE's but think it's a no brainer to at least allow for the refill to be "customizable" in so far as being able to choose if you want the RE section or next.

Ideally, perhaps unreasonably, would be the ability to download patches based on devices you own. 

OK, shutting up now...

joeyluck

27 Feb 2015

Why not just have two separate ReFills?  

A device specific ReFill (this can include device patches for REs), but no combinators.  Thus, you navigate to the 'Predator' folder if you have Predator... you avoid it if you don't.

And then have a separate Combinator Free-for-all ReFill...
I still think it will be a headache to organize and navigate, but you can give it a shot.
I've seen people complain about ReFills containing 1-2 devices they don't own... not HUNDREDS that increase the chance of breaking ALMOST ALL patches for most users.

I think the same argument about creativity can be made about device specific patches. When you can make great patches using one device, you are really focusing and honing your skills.

Tincture

27 Feb 2015

One useful organic patch is worth a few useless saws surely? If some navigation is necessary, I am up for it for the just deserts...

angorapostfrosch

28 Feb 2015

Just an idea floating through my mind:

An online-database where every user can upload his patches. In the submission form you need to tick some boxes regarding the used devices etc.

Then the normal user can come and can do something like an advanced search, e.g. ticking the boxes of devices he owns.

The server then would create the refills server side, containing only the goods the user asked for.

//

For the comunity refill RE question: Why not just let everybody send in their patches. Take a look at all entries. And start asing questions then. In worst case some patches will not be contained in any refill. Maybe they all can be included in one single refill. Maybe the need of more than one refill:

Maybe one "Reason unplugged" refill with only using single stock devices.
One "Combined stock" with only stock devices wired together ,
One "experimental frustration" or "barely reasonable" with everything allowed.
One "Rack extended" with only single REs.

First have a look at what comes in. Then break your head about how to publish it. Just my opinion...

• Information