Vibrato in the Vintage Horn refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Shugga

25 Feb 2015

Howdy folks, I just purchased the Vintage Horns refill from the Prop shop, man do they sound fantastic.  I am not able to get any vibrato to work on any of the instruments. Usually I would think that the modulation wheel would add it, but it doesn't.  Can anyone who also owns them please let me know what I'm missing, I really want to add some vibrato to longer notes.

Thanks in advance,

Shugga
What is that smell?

PSoames

25 Feb 2015

Hey Shugga,

I don't own the refill, but if they use the NNXT sample player, you should be able to assign the MW or after touch control to the samples to introduce some vibrato.

Unfold NNXT, select the samples by clicking and dragging a box around them within the keyboard mapping section of the sample window, then click the W (mod wheel) or X (after touch) buttons on the LFO amount or LFO rate within the modulation section to the left of the sample window. You will need to tinker with the rotaries for each setting to get the desired effect.

Hope this helps.

Shugga

25 Feb 2015

Thanks PSoames, 

I am using the combinator patches, so far the best I could do is move the pitch up and down in very small increments.  I appreciate you posting.
What is that smell?

QVprod

25 Feb 2015

Don't have the refill but I've heard vibrato in the introduction demo for it. http://www.bigfishaudio.com/Vintage-Horns. My guess would be the vibrato woulds be an articulation assigned to a keyswitch. If a manual came with the refill (I would imagine so considering the possibilities) I would check that to see how it's assigned

Shugga

25 Feb 2015

Thanks QVprod, I was so excited to play with the horns, I didn't even look at the PDF.  Unfortunately they didn't go into things too in depth.

VINTAGE HORNS - product notes
Vintage Horns is a horn section virtual instrument ReFill for Reason 6 that gives you every
instrument you need to emulate the classic horn section sounds of R&B, Soul, and Funk
bands from the 60's and 70s.
As with its sister product, Vintage Vibe, the goal for Vintage Horns was not to create a
perfect, glossy-sounding virtual instrument. Instead, we wanted to capture the way horn
sections sounded back in the 60s and 70s, including the minor imperfections that added
character to those sections and made them sound so good.
Vintage Horns features nine multi-sampled brass and wood wind instruments:
Baritone Sax
Tenor Sax
Alto Sax3
Alto Flute
Soprano Flute
Trombone
Flugel Horn
Muted Trumpet
Open Trumpet
With Vintage Horns you can re-create the most popular horn section sounds of the 60's and
70s, including:
• the Memphis Soul horn section, which typically used a single trumpet with one tenor sax
and occasionally a bari sax…
• the famous horn section sound of the JBs, which featured trombone, trumpet, alto sax,
tenor sax, and bari sax..
• the classic big production sound of Detroit Soul…
• the Philly Soul sound, with flutes and flugel horn...
• and the powerful Oakland Soul sound, with bari sax, 2 tenor saxes, trombone, and two
trumpet switching to flugel horns on ballads.
The Vintage Horns reFill includes 53 NN-XT sampler patches, with five different articulations
for all instruments: Long notes, Short notes, Stabs, Falls, and Swells. For brass and reeds,
we also included Sforzando samples.
For each instrument we also included a key-switched Combinator patch. The key-switched
patches allow you to switch back and forth between Short and Long note samples, making it
easier to create more realistic-sounding horn parts.
Key-switch Combinator patches are easy to use: just press the C#0 key to switch from long
notes to short notes, and release the key to go back to using long notes.
Note that for bari sax, which has a lower range, the A#0 key is used for key-switching.
There are also five "All Horns" Combinator patches- one for Long Tones, Short Tones, Stabs,
Swells, and Falls. Each of these patches includes all nine horns playing in unison,
throughout the natural range of each instrument.
While the most natural-sounding way to write for horns is to use the individual instrument
patches,the All-Horns patches come in very handy if you need to quickly create unison horn
lines or massive stabs, falls, or swells. They're also easy to customize: Just click the Show
Devices button on the Combinator, then use the Mixer to mute any instruments you don't
want to use, change pan positions for individual instruments, or adjust their volume levels.
Note that the All Horns Long patch is a very BIG patch (almost 3GB of samples). If your
computer doesn't have a good amount of RAM, you may have trouble using or even loading
this patch. If this patch is too big for your system to handle, use the individual NN-XT
instrument patches instead.
All the Combinator patches In Vintage Horns include four global effect settings. With these
you can add high EQ to brighten the section sound, add tape-style saturation/compression,
add a little lo-fi dirt with Reason's Pulveriser module, or add Reverb. Global effect settings
are also easily customizable: click the Show Devices button, and you can change pre-sets or
parameters for any of the effects modules as desired.
So that's a brief introduction to the Vintage Horns ReFill for Reason 6. To listen to audio
demos, or to get more information on this product, visit bigfishaudio.com
What is that smell?

QVprod

26 Feb 2015

Yeah that's pretty bad documentation. May have to just contact Big Fish Audio.

• Information